May i know what is the career prospects of arts degree?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

May i know what is the career prospects of arts degree?

Postby puzzledearthworm » Mon May 05, 2014 10:11 am

Offered arts programme at local university. I am from polytechnic. My english is only B grade at o level. Is it difficult to cope?

puzzledearthworm
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: May i know what is the career prospects of arts degree?

Postby xiaostar » Mon May 05, 2014 10:20 am

If your maths is strong, you can consider majoring in econs.
Some people would also say that econs is one of the majors in arts which has better prospects.

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby puzzledearthworm » Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 am

Likewise, i only have a B in E maths. I am rather not confident of my grades. As i am worried whether if i am cope.

puzzledearthworm
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby puzzledearthworm » Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 am

What if the students did not manage get good grades in university? Where do they end up? My foundation is weak...

puzzledearthworm
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby xiaostar » Mon May 05, 2014 8:30 pm

puzzledearthworm wrote:What if the students did not manage get good grades in university? Where do they end up? My foundation is weak...

there are so many majors in FASS, try to find one which you can excel in.
if your grades are no good, then try to get more internship or part-time work experience. at least you will have an edge when you graduate.

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby schweppes » Thu May 08, 2014 8:17 am

puzzledearthworm wrote:Offered arts programme at local university. I am from polytechnic. My english is only B grade at o level. Is it difficult to cope?

Congrats on getting into our local U.

Don't feel discouraged even before you have started on the course. Don't let your Bs in EL and Maths discourage you from learning and progressing in your undergrad studies, and enjoying Uni life. Obviously you must have done well in poly to gain admission into Uni.

Well, nothing is easy, isn't it? The usual rules apply: hard work, attend all lessons, keep up with your readings, work on the tutorials, check with lecturers if unclear, work well with your project group members and make good friends. More importantly, keep an open mind and have a positive attitude.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Thu May 08, 2014 8:26 am

puzzledearthworm wrote:What if the students did not manage get good grades in university?

What is your definition of "good grades"? For some students, good grades mean all As (1st class honours). Anything less and they see themselves as a failure.

For some others, good grades mean getting Bs and above, and they are quite contented with that. They understand that not everyone can get As in all subjects. But that doesn't mean that they don't work hard in school. They will still put in their best.

puzzledearthworm wrote:Where do they end up? My foundation is weak...

Well, they will still get a job. What job one ends up in depends on what course (s)he majors in. There are others who will proceed to do their Masters immediately after their undergrad studies.

To boost your Arts degree, you might want to take a cross-faculty course in Business. For example, in Accounting, Marketing, Management, etc. Work hard and who knows, you can do a minor in Business.

In the meantime, before semester commences in Aug, read the Straits Times, Business Times (for a start) to improve your EL and critical thinking skills.

Don't worry, you will be fine. Remember to think positive. All the best.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Integer » Thu May 08, 2014 8:35 am

:goodpost:
schweppes wrote:
puzzledearthworm wrote:What if the students did not manage get good grades in university?

What is your definition of "good grades"? For some students, good grades mean all As (1st class honours). Anything less and they see themselves as a failure.

For some others, good grades mean getting Bs and above, and they are quite contented with that. They understand that not everyone can get As in all subjects. But that doesn't mean that they don't work hard in school. They will still put in their best.

puzzledearthworm wrote:Where do they end up? My foundation is weak...

Well, they will still get a job. Some proceed to do their Masters immediately after their undergrad studies.

To boost your Arts degree, you might want to take a cross-faculty course in Business. For example, in Accounting, Marketing, Management, etc. Work hard and who knows, you can do a minor in Business.

In the meantime, before semester commences in Aug, read the Straits Times, Business Times (for a start) to improve your EL and critical thinking skills.

Don't worry, you will be fine. Remember to think positive. All the best.

Good post, schweppes 学姐 ( not cos you're older, but more for respect :smile: ).

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Thu May 08, 2014 8:54 am

Integer wrote:Good post, schweppes 学姐 ( not cos you're older, but more for respect :smile: ).

:oops: :oops:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 am

Integer wrote:Good post, schweppes 学姐 ( not cos you're older, but more for respect :smile: ).

:oops: :oops:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees