Advice on tertiary education

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Advice on tertiary education

Postby sparks » Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Can parents share how did you advise/guide yr dd/ds on their academic path when they are in sec 4?

My dd's is still not fixed on her interests. For the moment, she has a target jc in mind & plans to go uni. She has asked me about what are the courses available at NUS. However, looking at her study pace & personal character, I think that poly path may be more suited to her.

Can you pls share your experience? I am hoping to get some insight from your personal experiences. Thanks so much!

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Advice on tertiary education

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 26, 2014 3:37 pm

There are 2 issues - path (ie educational style) and subject. If she still hasn't decided what areas interest her, in some ways, doing A levels postpones the decision and gives her more time to think about it.

For the path, what I heard when I was asking around was that poly requires more independence in time and self management, interpersonal skills (more group work) and maturity. A levels can be very pressurising if they are compressed into 2 yrs, but there is probably less of the group work type stuff (except for the Project Work requirement). I chose a 3-yr A level programme for my daughter as I didn't think either poly or JC would work for her. For your daughter, maybe you should find some older students who can tell her about the different options, and make her aware of what each path entails. There's no harm letting her still keep JC as one option, but get her to also consider poly as well.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DadOfGirl » Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 am

sparks wrote:Can parents share how did you advise/guide yr dd/ds on their academic path when they are in sec 4?

My dd's is still not fixed on her interests. For the moment, she has a target jc in mind & plans to go uni. She has asked me about what are the courses available at NUS. However, looking at her study pace & personal character, I think that poly path may be more suited to her.

Can you pls share your experience? I am hoping to get some insight from your personal experiences. Thanks so much!

What are current 8 Subjects in Sec 4? If there are Chem & Physics or Biology , then can go-on to JC with Science subjects.
If there are two human subjects at O level( History, Geog, Litrature, Arts, third language), then can go JC with those subject & Econs. Contrasting subject could be MAths.

After A level , can decide to pursue within subject chosen at A level

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sparks » Tue May 27, 2014 3:32 pm

slmkhoo wrote: If she still hasn't decided what areas interest her, in some ways, doing A levels postpones the decision and gives her more time to think about it.

Good point noted! :smile:

For your daughter, maybe you should find some older students who can tell her about the different options, and make her aware of what each path entails. There's no harm letting her still keep JC as one option, but get her to also consider poly as well.

Yes, she's been in touch with her seniors who are now in jc. I have been reading online abt other pp's experiences & they too advised going to jc if the ultimate aim is to get into uni.

Will the JAE booklet contain useful info about the courses avail in polys as well? Anyone knows where I can get a hold of last year's booklet?

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sparks » Tue May 27, 2014 3:38 pm

DadOfGirl wrote:What are current 8 Subjects in Sec 4? If there are Chem & Physics or Biology , then can go-on to JC with Science subjects.

She's got only 7 - A/E maths, Lit/ss, Biology,Chemistry, EL & CL. She's more of a Science student so most likely will take 2 sciences, Maths & econ.

sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 27, 2014 3:40 pm

sparks wrote:Will the JAE booklet contain useful info about the courses avail in polys as well? Anyone knows where I can get a hold of last year's booklet?

Just look on the individual polys' websites. They will list their courses and descriptions.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Integer » Tue May 27, 2014 3:49 pm

sparks wrote:
For your daughter, maybe you should find some older students who can tell her about the different options, and make her aware of what each path entails. There's no harm letting her still keep JC as one option, but get her to also consider poly as well.

Yes, she's been in touch with her seniors who are now in jc. I have been reading online abt other pp's experiences & they too advised going to jc if the ultimate aim is to get into uni.

Will the JAE booklet contain useful info about the courses avail in polys as well? Anyone knows where I can get a hold of last year's booklet?

sparks,

Althou our heart all along is set on JC route, I decided to sign up Temasek Poly's Parental Guidance Seminar. No harm listening, I feel.

The seminar is on 28/6/14, 9.30am
You need to register, 1st come 1st served basis.
www.tp.edu.sg/pgseminar

Integer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby DadOfGirl » Tue May 27, 2014 3:51 pm

sparks wrote:
DadOfGirl wrote:What are current 8 Subjects in Sec 4? If there are Chem & Physics or Biology , then can go-on to JC with Science subjects.

She's got only 7 - A/E maths, Lit/ss, Biology,Chemistry, EL & CL. She's more of a Science student so most likely will take 2 sciences, Maths & econ.

A Level subject choices are 18 months away.. She doesn't have physics , so it Engineering courses at UNI are ruled out..... You may want to consider ARTs program(Eng.Litrature, English ligustics & ECONs) at JC with H2 maths.
H2 maths qualifies for Accountancy & Bus Admin courses at SMU & NUS /NTU.

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby schweppes » Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 pm

To keep one's options open, it would be good to attend the Open House for JCs and polys. Iirc, some polys have 2-3 days immersion camps for graduating O lvl students, usually held in the 3rd or 4th week Nov.

If not mistaken, heard from my niece that Ngee Ann Poly held a 3 days immersion camp last Nov as part of post O lvl exam activity. It's one of those ra-ra activities to get graduating Sec 4 students to learn a little more about NP's student culture and the courses available.
Last edited by schweppes on Tue May 27, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schweppes » Tue May 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Integer wrote:
Althou our heart all along is set on JC route, I decided to sign up Temasek Poly's Parental Guidance Seminar. No harm listening, I feel.

The seminar is on 28/6/14, 9.30am
You need to register, 1st come 1st served basis.
www.tp.edu.sg/pgseminar

Oh wow...looks like polys are getting early in the act. They used to hold parents' info seminar in Jan, then late Nov and looks like it's June now.

Students, these days, have a wider choice to choose from. That's good for them. My advice to parents and students is to keep an open mind, ask around and talk to the lecturers/teachers/students at the target poly/JCs. Then, you will be in a better position to make an informed choice and for the student to know what he/she is getting himself into.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees