Useful Tips for JC Students Struggling with GP

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:48

Re: Useful Tips for JC Students Struggling with GP

Post by Estéema » Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 pm

Thank you for sharing!

BraisedPorkBelly
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by BraisedPorkBelly » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:07 pm

JerielTY wrote:Hi Everyone,

I graduated from RI in 2016 and I would like to share my journey for getting A for GP in A Levels.

GP consists of 2 parts, Paper 1 and Paper 2. Both papers are scored to a max of 50 points each. To get an A, you need 70%. It is understood that essay writing is extremely tough so my strategy is to focus a lot more on Paper 2, which are the Comprehension and Application Questions.

Paper 2: In Comprehension Questions, you can actually categorize questions into: para-phrase, reading between the lines, opinionated,etc.

Para-phrase questions are actually majority of the Comprehension questions. E.g "In your own words...". The question wants you to find the part of the passage which contains the answer and paraphrase with synonyms. So, the key is to find an ACCURATE REPLACEMENT of the word in the passage. Accuracy is key. There are many synonyms to a word but the intensity of the word must be kept. E.g "Happy is not the same as overjoyed". To be frank, you do not have to understand the passage at all to answer this question. If you know that the answers are somewhere in this paragraph, you can literally paraphrase the whole paragraph. Now you know the importance of paraphrasing, here are some tips to improve on it. Download a dictionary and thesauraus on your phone. Any time you read something and you are not familiar with the meaning of the word, search it up and write down on a notebook. Also, if you have done enough papers you will realise that there are some common words that will always turn up.

For questions that require you to read between the lines, you will slowly develop this after more practices.

For Application questions, the examiners want to know what is unique about Singapore. You can give personal anecdotes (you can get away with lying about that overseas school volunteer project you never participated or that old lady you helped).

If you find my tips helpful and want to know about how to improve in Paper 1, drop me a text and I will share it for free. I do not want to share so much if nobody finds it credible or useful.
:thankyou:

TheGPTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:4

Post by TheGPTutor » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Stephen King once said "If you want to write a lot, you must read a lot." This is really fundamental to general paper. Nothing else can help them do well if they don't read, apply what they read, have it assessed and repeat the process.