Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Post Reply
sparks
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Apr 06,
Total Likes:1

Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by sparks » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:32 pm

There are so many more uni courses today then there were 30 yrs ago. It is mind boggling going thru each of them just to have a general idea. Can anyone share any online websites/blogs/threads that gives an overview of the strengths of the local universities program/courses?

Like today, I read from ST that JCU is strong in environmental science (& marine sciences I think) which I was unware of.

These are useful info when guiding our children in their choices for local uni IMO.

xiaostar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Mar 27,

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by xiaostar » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:12 pm

sparks wrote:Like today, I read from ST that JCU is strong in environmental science (& marine sciences I think) which I was unware of.
honestly, even australians don't think JCU is a very good school so I wouldn't recommend the JCU campus in singapore either.

cathylmg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Oct 19,

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by cathylmg » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 pm

Anyone knows if it is easier for poly graduates to work a few years first then get into a local U for a partime degree? Is it easier to be accepted this way?

Rejoin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Oct 09,
Total Likes:1

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by Rejoin » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:34 am

cathylmg wrote:Anyone knows if it is easier for poly graduates to work a few years first then get into a local U for a partime degree? Is it easier to be accepted this way?
Does your local U refer to NUS/NTU/SMU?
If so, working experience does not count towards your application for an undergraduate degree, be it part time or full-time.

So you can try applying for it immediately after graduation from poly, or you can give SIT a try.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jan 19,
Total Likes:27

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by havok_ex » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:18 am

Rejoin wrote:
cathylmg wrote:Anyone knows if it is easier for poly graduates to work a few years first then get into a local U for a partime degree? Is it easier to be accepted this way?
Does your local U refer to NUS/NTU/SMU?
If so, working experience does not count towards your application for an undergraduate degree, be it part time or full-time.

So you can try applying for it immediately after graduation from poly, or you can give SIT a try.
Yes, it does. Work experience does count in some situations for part-time degree courses in local uni. For unisim, I do know that they look at your work experience as a factor for their part-time and full-time degrees.

At the same time, for NTU's part-time engineering degree, work experience is also considered.

http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/Undergradu ... meEng.aspx

If you are asking about full-time degree courses in local uni, work experience comes into play if you apply as a mature applicant. But you must be 25 and above and have at least 4 years of work exp.

http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/Undergradu ... ploma.aspx

So if you fail to get into local uni, you can always work first and try again later.


sky12_
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Dec 01,

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by sky12_ » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:36 pm

Hello, I would like to hear opinions on both NTU communication studies and NUS communications and new media. I have been having a hard time deciding which one to aim for. Any info about these 2 are welcomed :)

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 25871
Joined: Fri Sep 05,
Total Likes:121

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by Jennifer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:00 pm

sky12_ wrote:Hello, I would like to hear opinions on both NTU communication studies and NUS communications and new media. I have been having a hard time deciding which one to aim for. Any info about these 2 are welcomed :)
Both uni are conducting their Open House in March.

Maybe u would hv a clearer picture after attending the Open House?

lee7stc
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 03,

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by lee7stc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:02 am

Do anyone know what is Duke NUS Graduate Medical School? Can you apply to study medicine at Duke NUS or at Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine after A Level? Image

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 11393
Joined: Mon Mar 22,
Total Likes:109

Re: Niche Programs/Courses offered by local Uni

Post by jtoh » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 am

Duke-NUS is a graduate medical school. You can't apply there without a first degree.

NUS YLL and NTU LKC are both open to A level graduates.

Post Reply