Statistics scoring for Arts vs Science subjects

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Statistics scoring for Arts vs Science subjects

Postby godiva » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:21 am

Generally there is a lot of talk that it is more difficult for students doing Arts subjects in A levels (eg Lit, History, Geog, Econs) to score compared with Science subjects.
Generally, my guess is that one contributing factor is that the students who are doing Science may have all along done better academically anyway. (after all, it is tougher to get into the Science stream compared with Arts stream in most JCs).

However, those students who get into RI and HCI Arts stream would be top scorers in their own right. Hence my question:

Does anyone know what is the percentage of students getting A grade for Literature in RI or HCI ?

I am keen to know cos my ds who is going RI intends to do ARts subjects and I'm worried about the end grades. But he was told that generally 80% of RI students get A grade, for both ARts and Science.

Is this reliable info and can it be verified?

Thanks.

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Statistics scoring for Arts vs Science subjects

Postby jtoh » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:14 am

godiva, I don't have the exact numbers on me, but if I recall correctly, the percentage of students scoring A in literature in RI is rather high. Not too dissimilar to those scoring A in the Science subjects.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:34 am

Marking for arts subjects can be a bit more subjective, so the risk of scoring lower is a fact if your market disagrees with what you write. On the other hand, a student who is studying a subject he is really keen on, as opposed to one who is studying it because he couldn't get his other choices, is likely to do better anyway. I would still encourage a student to take subjects that he has the interest in rather than one that is 'easier to score in' if he has less interest in it. That is assuming that he has aptitude for the subjects he has interest in - they usually go together, but not always.

Sorry, I don't know any statistics. In any case, statistics are not very meaningful as they don't capture interest, and unfortunately, quite a few students who take arts are there because they couldn't get their other choices.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mjl » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:37 am

godiva wrote:Generally there is a lot of talk that it is more difficult for students doing Arts subjects in A levels (eg Lit, History, Geog, Econs) to score compared with Science subjects.
Generally, my guess is that one contributing factor is that the students who are doing Science may have all along done better academically anyway. (after all, it is tougher to get into the Science stream compared with Arts stream in most JCs).

However, those students who get into RI and HCI Arts stream would be top scorers in their own right. Hence my question:

Does anyone know what is the percentage of students getting A grade for Literature in RI or HCI ?

I am keen to know cos my ds who is going RI intends to do ARts subjects and I'm worried about the end grades. But he was told that generally 80% of RI students get A grade, for both ARts and Science.

Is this reliable info and can it be verified?

Thanks.

% of students with scored distinctions in the various subjects in RI, class of 2012

Source: http://rafflespress.com/2013/03/01/clas ... -ri-proud/

mjl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:07 am

Looking at the subjects mentioned in the table from mjl, I have some questions:

- I can't find Theatre Studies in the SEAB list of A level subjects. Where can I find more info about this? Is it only offered in RI?

- how do schools select who can do KI and ELL? Any feedback on these 2 subjects? I guess ELL is classified as an arts subject and KI neither arts nor science? They sound interesting though not sure my daughter will feel the same way.

Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby angwc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Every subject has its own difficulty to score. It is more of a student's ability towards certain subjects.

I have taught students who excel in H2 Arts subjects but totally flunked H1 Math. It is not so correct to view results simply by the percentage for every child is unique and different. The school scoring 80% A does not mean your child has the probability of scoring A being 80%.

In fact for RI scoring 80% is actually no surprise and the govt expects them to achieve such results due to the quality of the students they are taking in.

End of the day it is what subject your child is interested in rather than you force him or her to take. Some people say Arts subjects are subjective so harder to score. On the other hand I can also say Science subjects you have to be very very precise in what you write instead of just presenting the general idea. One single word difference can change the entire meaning of your answer.

Last but not least % alone is not indicative. You must also look at other factors such as population size. One student scoring B out of intake of 1000 students may not affect the % by much. One student scoring B out of intake of 20 students is a big difference.

angwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby civic6228 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:36 pm

Is studying just about the scoring and results ???

I would say what that is more important for the student to study the subject that he/she has interest in.

civic6228
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby godiva » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 pm

civic6228 wrote:Is studying just about the scoring and results ???

I would say what that is more important for the student to study the subject that he/she has interest in.

Are you a parent? If not, you may not understand

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby godiva » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:00 pm

angwc wrote:Every subject has its own difficulty to score. It is more of a student's ability towards certain subjects.

Agreed. My ds is a straight A student in both arts and most science subjects. Except Maths.
I have taught students who excel in H2 Arts subjects but totally flunked H1 Math. It is not so correct to view results simply by the percentage for every child is unique and different. The school scoring 80% A does not mean your child has the probability of scoring A being 80%.

No doubt. But like I say - he is a straight A student in most subjects

In fact for RI scoring 80% is actually no surprise and the govt expects them to achieve such results due to the quality of the students they are taking in.

End of the day it is what subject your child is interested in rather than you force him or her to take. Some people say Arts subjects are subjective so harder to score. On the other hand I can also say Science subjects you have to be very very precise in what you write instead of just presenting the general idea. One single word difference can change the entire meaning of your answer.

My ds cannot be forced to take any subjects. Neither do we intend to force him. He makes his own choices since psle on the choice of sec school, and since sec 1 on which scholarship to accept, since sec 3 on the subject combinations. We provide guidance and info to help him make his choices. Ds gets A for chemistry just like he gets As for Lit, Social Studies, English, History...Through hard work and planning. He is practical and will decide to "drop studying" subjects he doesn't score in eg Bio. He makes up his own mind. Unfortunately cannot drop Maths.
Maths is the only subject we have to "force" him to work at to ensure he doesn't close his options to study almost all subjects in varsity. Will you encourage any student to drop Maths H1 if he doesn't do well?
However, by dropping Chemistry, the doors to many faculties will be closed to him. At his age, he may not realise the implications.
Just like he didn't realise the implications of "dropping" scholarships cos he does not like certain subjects.

Last but not least % alone is not indicative. You must also look at other factors such as population size. One student scoring B out of intake of 1000 students may not affect the % by much. One student scoring B out of intake of 20 students is a big difference.

True, unfortunately the schools are not forthcoming with such details. Puzzling.

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby civic6228 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 pm

godiva wrote:
civic6228 wrote:Is studying just about the scoring and results ???

Are you a parent? If not, you may not understand

Yes ... I am a parent and my daughter happens to be in JC1 but I understand and respect your choices.

Life is about choices and I prefer my daughter to make her own decision as I cannot be around to make decision for her forever. Of course, I would give her my advise to guide her but she decide at the end. More importantly, she must be happy and she has to learn to take responsibilities for her choices.

civic6228
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees