DSA to Hwa Chong JC through academic&sports

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

DSA to Hwa Chong JC through academic&sports

Postby Peccavi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:33 pm

It's the first time I post :smile: I'm a sec3 student. Next year I want to try dsa into hwa Chong through academics and sports. My CCA is "science and tech"(robotics). As you know it's not a popular CCA but i did won many competitions include Olympiads in my sec3(I'm a foreign student so only came last year). I would like to know the chances of success. Can any kind soul help me? I am new here but I saw a lot of experienced seniors and parents who are very helpful :smile: The followings are awards that I won:
- smo(math Olympiad senior) silver
- cross country school "B" girls 1st runner up
( I was supposed to represent our school in national cross country but it's clash with our level overseas via :cry: )
- sports day 800 2nd runner up
- student council member
- icas math high distinction
- icas science distinction
- sec3 overall top level (all A1 except English A2)

In sec 4, I still have these competitions:
- cross country( hope to rep school for national cross country!)
- NOI(national Olympiads in Informatics) I aim for at least silver. I will go for a workshop in nus in dec holidays. Does hwa Chong recognize this award?
- Youth innovation challenge by SMU( this one I'm not sure about its importance, anyone heard of it?)
- Tan Kia Kee young inventors' award( this one I also not very sure if hwa Chong will recognize or not)
- icas math
- icas science
- smo(open) I heard it's quite hard to get into round 2 in open cat. so I will not expect much from that...
- sjpo( physics Olympiads) it's at the end of July so cannot be used in dsa I guess)
- sjcho( chemistry Olympiads) round 2 also later than submission of dsa application. Is it useful if I say I get into round 2?

So, is my awards sufficient for dsa? For the next year competitions which I have listed above, how can I prioritize them? Which of them is hwa Chong looking for?
Btw, will my current CCA affect anything? Does hwa Chong filter applicants based on the schools they are from?

:smile:

Peccavi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: DSA to Hwa Chong JC through academic&sports

Postby gjooheng » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:21 am

i think you stand a chance. just go for it.

criteria

http://www.hci.edu.sg/uploadfile/dsa/Direct%20School%20Admission%20info%20attachment%202014.pdf

for medal, whether for academic or sports, need to win at international or national level.

my student from bedok green sec DSA to Hwa Chong JC through canoeing. she won 2 medals at National Inter-school Canoeing Championship.

gjooheng
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Peccavi » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:58 pm

[quote="gjooheng"]i think you stand a chance. just go for it.

criteria

[url]http://www.hci.edu.sg/uploadfile/dsa/Direct%20School%20Admission%20info%20attachment%202014.pdf[/url]

for medal, whether for academic or sports, need to win at international or national level.

my student from bedok green sec DSA to Hwa Chong JC through canoeing. she won 2 medals at National Inter-school Canoeing Championship.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the link. That's super useful!! :lol: But if my cca is not cross country( like the example you give me), will my medal for that still be useful?

Peccavi
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby gjooheng » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:32 am

i think you have many qualities that hci likes: winning math olympiad, student council, math high distinction, strong in science, overall good results.

for cross country, if you can win a medal at national level, then you gain merit under sports.

good info here

http://www.domainofexperts.com/2014/07/advice-on-applying-to-hci-via.html

gjooheng
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zbear » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:53 am

gjooheng wrote:i think you have many qualities that hci likes: winning math olympiad, student council, math high distinction, strong in science, overall good results.

for cross country, if you can win a medal at national level, then you gain merit under sports.

Hmmm, I think not only HCI will like your qualities, all schools will also like you.

So long as you are able to contribute n bring glory to any school, you will be welcomed.

:wink:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees