Why most H2 math students need tuition?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Why most H2 math students need tuition?

Postby gjooheng » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:55 am

Before 2007, 2 levels of maths were offered at A level, namely Maths C and Further Maths.

From 2007 onwards, we have H1, H2 and H3 maths.

H2 maths is a combination of Maths C, plus estimated one quarter of Further Maths.

Average students took Maths C. Further Maths was recommended only for students with very strong maths ability (consistently score 85% in Amath). Only the top 10% of maths students were recommended to take Further Maths. It is like the current H3 maths.

One quarter of Further Maths syllabus, such as advanced concepts in Vectors, Complex Numbers, Calculus, Sequence and Series have been included into H2 math syllabus. And the JC lecturers who are used to teaching Further Maths now set questions, previously meant for Further Maths, under H2 maths. That’s why most students find these topics difficult.

After entering JC 1, should students fail their first common test or mid year, get a good tutor. Otherwise, there is a high chance that students will fail their promo and be retained. Vectors and Complex Numbers, the hardest 2 topics in H2 maths, are usually covered in JC2. If students already struggle with JC 1 topics such as Calculus, Sequence and Series, they will have a hard time catching up in JC2 while having to learn Vectors and Complex Numbers.

Many students who scored distinctions in O level Amaths (A1 or A2) still struggle with H2 maths and fail their school tests and exams. In ACJC, 25% of students in my tutee’s class were retained in 2014. In CJC, about 50% of students in my tutee’s class got a U grade (0 to 39 marks) in the H2 maths promo exams. My tutees would have been one of those who failed their promo if they didn’t engage me for tuition.

My recommendation is for students who did not score above 85% in Additional Maths to get a good tutor for H2 maths. And engage a good tutor immediately should students fail their first common test or exam.

gjooheng
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Why most H2 math students need tuition?

Postby micko07 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:19 am

Surely it's better to set a harder paper for internal exams, than to set an easy paper, only for students to be under-prepared for the actual exam? At the end of the day, erring on the side of caution appears to be the safer approach in my opinion; I came from a school that was (is?) fairly notorious for setting relatively difficult papers, and it was comforting to know that's just about as hard as it will be. At least you know you won't be in for a rude shock come A levels, which is what really matters in any case.

I'm also not entirely sure as to how many students who fail internal exams will go on to get As in A levels (by fail, I mean S/ U). I remember seeing the conversion chart for predicted grades in my school, which is based on what previous batches had gone on to attain, and I think they were only willing to predict two grades above what you achieved in school (ie if you achieved a C, your prediction would be an A, a D would become a B and so on). It might just be my school though.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby zbear » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:28 pm

which school were you from?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:53 pm

gjooheng wrote:Before 2007, 2 levels of maths were offered at A level, namely Maths C and Further Maths.

From 2007 onwards, we have H1, H2 and H3 maths.

H2 maths is a combination of Maths C, plus estimated one quarter of Further Maths.

Average students took Maths C. Further Maths was recommended only for students with very strong maths ability (consistently score 85% in Amath). Only the top 10% of maths students were recommended to take Further Maths. It is like the current H3 maths.

One quarter of Further Maths syllabus, such as advanced concepts in Vectors, Complex Numbers, Calculus, Sequence and Series have been included into H2 math syllabus. And the JC lecturers who are used to teaching Further Maths now set questions, previously meant for Further Maths, under H2 maths. That’s why most students find these topics difficult.

After entering JC 1, should students fail their first common test or mid year, get a good tutor. Otherwise, there is a high chance that students will fail their promo and be retained. Vectors and Complex Numbers, the hardest 2 topics in H2 maths, are usually covered in JC2. If students already struggle with JC 1 topics such as Calculus, Sequence and Series, they will have a hard time catching up in JC2 while having to learn Vectors and Complex Numbers.

Many students who scored distinctions in O level Amaths (A1 or A2) still struggle with H2 maths and fail their school tests and exams. In ACJC, 25% of students in my tutee’s class were retained in 2014. In CJC, about 50% of students in my tutee’s class got a U grade (0 to 39 marks) in the H2 maths promo exams. My tutees would have been one of those who failed their promo if they didn’t engage me for tuition.

My recommendation is for students who did not score above 85% in Additional Maths to get a good tutor for H2 maths. And engage a good tutor immediately should students fail their first common test or exam.

quite misleading

before the H1, H2, H3 came about, there were AO math, A level Math B, and Further Math, and S paper

AO Math for those who did not do O Level add math

Math B is a little less than the present H2 math

H2 math now is old Math B plus some topics from further math

S paper became H3 roughly, offered only in JC2

may be I am rather old - was there a math C in JC at A level standard ?

Mathematics
Offered at :H1, H2 & H3 Levels
H1 Mathematics provides a foundation in mathematics for students who intend to enrol in university courses
such as business, economics and social sciences.
Students will develop mathematical thinking and problem
solving skills.
Topics covered include
Functions and Graphs,Calculus,Probability and Statistics
A major focus of the syllabus will be the understanding and application of basic concepts and techniques of statistics.
This will equip students with the skills to analyse and interpret data, and
make informed decisions.
Assumed knowledge : GCE ‘O’ level Mathematics
Examinations : Students sit for one written paper.

H2 Mathematics prepares students adequately for university courses including mathematics, physics and engineering where more mathematics content is required.
Topics covered include Functions and Graphs, Sequences and Series,
Vectors,Complex Numbers, Calculus, Permutations and Combinations,
Probability and Statistics
Students will learn to analyse, formulate and solve different types of problems. Students will also learn to work with data and perform statistical analyses.
Assumed knowledge : GCE ‘O’ level Additional Mathematics
Examinations : Students sit for two written papers.

H3 Mathematics offers students who have a strong aptitude for, and are passionate about mathematics, an opportunity to further develop their mathematical modelling and reasoning skills.
Topics covered include extensions of the three topics Functions and
Graphs, Sequences and Series, and Calculus in H2 Mathematics, as well as two additional topics Combinatorics and Differential Equations as Mathematical Models
Students are required to study all these topics
There are opportunities for students to read and write mathematical
arguments and proofs. Students will also learn the process of mathematical modelling for real-world problems, which involves making informed assumptions, validation and prediction.
Pre-requisite : H2 Mathematics
Examinations : Students sit for one written paper.

NTU Numbers & Matrices
Numbers & Matrices offers students who have a strong aptitude for, and are passionate about mathematics, an opportunity to further develop their mathematical reasoning skills and enhance their understanding and appreciation of fundamental mathematical tools like number theory and matrix algebra as well as their relevance in modern applications. The topics covered include: basic number theory (divisibility and modular arithmetic), matrix algebra (solutions of systems of linear equations, properties of matrices, connection with
geometry) and vector spaces (real vector spaces, basis, rank and nullity). Several applications of these tools are also discussed, including: cryptography (symmetric-key cryptosystems, Hill cipher, RSA cryptosystem), Internet search engines, genetics and population growth, etc.
Mode : University-taught course
Assessment : Students undertake the following components:

Mid-term tests

Final examination
You may not offer this subject together with NUS Linear Algebra.

NUS Linear Algebra
Linear Algebra serves as an introduction to the most basic concepts in linear algebra that are routinely applied in fields like science, engineering, statistics, economics and operations research. The vector spaces within which the general ideas are developed are all real vector spaces. The objective of the course is to inculcate a facility in both the algebraic and geometric viewpoints of linear algebra.
Proofs of results will be presented only if they are necessary for a proper understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques. The course will develop basic skills in computing with vectors and matrices (with or without any mathematical software). It will also highlight examples of the more important applications of linear algebra in other fields.
The major topics included are: systems of linear equations; matrices; determinants; Euclidean n-space; subspaces; linear independence; basis and dimension; rank of a matrix; orthogonality and orthonormal bases; eigenvalues and eigenvectors; diagonalization; linear transformations from Rn to Rm; and, applications.
Mode : University-taught course
Assessment : Students sit for the following
:

Mid-term tests

Computer Lab quiz

Others (e.g. quizzes, assignment)

Final examination
Students may also be assigned additional continuous assessments in the form of lecture quizzes or homework assignments.
You may not offer this subject together with NTU Numbers & Matrices

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby micko07 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:33 pm

zbear wrote:which school were you from?

HCI. I was there from 2009-2010 though, so things might have changed since.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby gjooheng » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:48 pm

pirated wrote:
before the H1, H2, H3 came about, there were AO math, A level Math B, and Further Math, and S paper

Yes, there is Math C at A level. It is printed on my A level cert. You can also search it on internet.

S paper follow the same syllabus as the main subject, except the questions are tougher and out of the box. S paper is like those very tough JC questions compared to easier A level paper. They follow the same syllabus.

On the other hand, H3 math syllabus is different from H2 math, so it is more like Further Math. Eigen values, eigenvectors, complex 2nd order differential equation, etc were covered in Further Math and now in H3 math.

gjooheng
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby iwork » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:31 pm

gjooheng wrote:
pirated wrote:

Yes, there is Math C at A level. It is printed on my A level cert. You can also search it on internet.

S paper follow the same syllabus as the main subject, except the questions are tougher and out of the box. S paper is like those very tough JC questions compared to easier A level paper. They follow the same syllabus.

On the other hand, H3 math syllabus is different from H2 math, so it is more like Further Math. Eigen values, eigenvectors, complex 2nd order differential equation, etc were covered in Further Math and now in H3 math.

Yes, there is Maths C and Maths B (which in the A-Level Cert only printed as Mathematics).

gjooheng and piratedi, may I know which year you took the A-Level? oops, it will reveal your age. Haha.

iwork
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby John Lim » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:06 pm

most H2 math students need tuition, very sad.

John Lim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:09 pm

John Lim wrote:most H2 math students need tuition, very sad.

NOT TRUE!

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathtuition88 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:35 am

For some of the top JCs, it is common to see some students entering JC and already know some of the topics that haven't even been taught. It is not that they are smarter than the rest, they have been studying in advance during the holidays. This is a huge advantage, given that once JC starts, there is barely time for even finishing homework, let alone study in advance.

For students who are weaker in Maths, it is highly recommended to revise A Maths especially, for those who are intending to take H2 Maths.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees