UCAS Tariff Calculation

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

UCAS Tariff Calculation

Postby red rose » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:07 am

Hi, just wondering if any parent or student can enlighten me regarding how UCAS tariffs scores are computed for Singapore students, since the GCE A Level exams here are different from those taken by the UK counterparts, plus UK grades include A* (140 points) whilst local students can only achieve an A (120 points) at most. I understand that all H2 and H1 grades are supposed to be computed in the tariff, but can any one confirm specifically that GP, PW and MT, which are officially recognized as H1 grades in Singapore, are also included in the scoring, since this makes a very significant difference in terms of the final score. For e.g. for a student taking 4 H2s and 3H1s with straight As, the tariff score will be 660, but if the 3H1s are excluded, the score goes down to only 480.

Are tariff scores automatically calculated with the information in the UCAS application forms for all students, regardless of whether the UK Uni considers it as part of their selection criteria or not?

Does anyone know which UK medical schools (5yr course) use UCAS tariff scores as part of their selection criteria? From what I know, only Bart's explicitly states so in their website. Most of the rest of the medical schools consider only A level grades, UKCAT, PS and interviews, with no mention of tariffs at all. But yet, there is a list showing cut-off tariffs for all medical schools in UK, which confuses me.

Would really appreciate help from any one with experience in this area. Thanks in advance. :)

red rose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: UCAS Tariff Calculation

Postby jtoh » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:52 pm

I'm interested to know as well.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby micko07 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:37 pm

red rose wrote:Hi, just wondering if any parent or student can enlighten me regarding how UCAS tariffs scores are computed for Singapore students, since the GCE A Level exams here are different from those taken by the UK counterparts, plus UK grades include A* (140 points) whilst local students can only achieve an A (120 points) at most. I understand that all H2 and H1 grades are supposed to be computed in the tariff, but can any one confirm specifically that GP, PW and MT, which are officially recognized as H1 grades in Singapore, are also included in the scoring, since this makes a very significant difference in terms of the final score. For e.g. for a student taking 4 H2s and 3H1s with straight As, the tariff score will be 660, but if the 3H1s are excluded, the score goes down to only 480.

Are tariff scores automatically calculated with the information in the UCAS application forms for all students, regardless of whether the UK Uni considers it as part of their selection criteria or not?

Does anyone know which UK medical schools (5yr course) use UCAS tariff scores as part of their selection criteria? From what I know, only Bart's explicitly states so in their website. Most of the rest of the medical schools consider only A level grades, UKCAT, PS and interviews, with no mention of tariffs at all. But yet, there is a list showing cut-off tariffs for all medical schools in UK, which confuses me.

Would really appreciate help from any one with experience in this area. Thanks in advance. :)

I've never seen a SIPCAL offer given in the form of UCAS Tariff Points actually (for that matter, I would say that most of the better-ranked UK universities tend to give conditional offers in terms of letter grades even for the UK A levels). UCAS doesn't even have a tariff conversion table for SIPCAL as far as I can tell.

The UK universities are very likely to focus on the H2s, and pretty much ignore the H1s (they will almost certainly ignore GP, PW, and MT). For Medicine, I imagine a typical offer would be AAA/ AAAA at H2, although I know of someone whose Cambridge Medicine offer was AAAA + H3 Distinction. H3 conditions are very much the exception though.

For further information, you might want to try contacting the Singapore Medical Society of the United Kingdom (http://www.smsuk.com/) or the universities themselves.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jtoh » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks mick007.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees