"Seemingly Helpless Situations" - Parental Discussion Thread

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

"Seemingly Helpless Situations" - Parental Discussion Thread

Postby superduper » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:01 am

I agree with another threadstarter that you can hardly see any issues with regards to negative results and side effects being stated in this forum... what you see is mostly about positive results. Why not create a thread whereby negative issues, which are the realistic issues that need to be addressed, so that parents with such issues can come in and discuss.

Take for example, a scenario where a kid, after getting poor results, and not being able to get into any local university course, decides to call it quits and does not want to continue to study anymore... what can parents do about it?

superduper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: "Seemingly Helpless Situations" - Parental Discussion Th

Postby ChiefKiasu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 am

Yes, its depressing, but such situations do happen, perhaps with even greater regularity, than the success stories we hear about so often.

I teach in SIM, where it is all about giving people the 2nd chance of getting the degree they missed. If student don't want to study anymore, they can work for a while, and take up a part-time degree when they regain an interest in pursuing higher education. So, it's not the end if we don't do well in education early in life.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 am

Many would like talk about the positive or gd news, brush negative or bad news aside.
There are ups and downs in life.
Call me pessimistic, there are more downs than ups.

A lousy academic grade is not the end of life.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:03 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:Many would like talk about the positive or gd news, brush negative or bad news aside.
There are ups and downs in life.
Call me pessimistic, there are more downs than ups.

A lousy academic grade is not the end of life.

:goodpost:

Very well said n I couldn't agree more!

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 pm

We were doing some charity works last Friday for the needy. It's a one room flat of 6 living together. It's a poor family of low income of $800per month. Needs to feed 4 ongoing school children. We spoke to the child who just gotten his psle results of 173. He is going to the normal stream soon and we do a lot of encouraging words to him and that life don't end there. He is enlightened by our words.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:16 pm

isetan wrote:We were doing some charity works last Friday for the needy. It's a one room flat of 6 living together. It's a poor family of low income of $800per month. Needs to feed 4 ongoing school children. We spoke to the child who just gotten his psle results of 173. He is going to the normal stream soon and we do a lot of encouraging words to him and that life don't end there. He is enlightened by our words.

OT: any social benefits in terms of financial assistance provided? what about the cdac (?) providing tuition to children who are relatively weak in studies?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:18 pm

I read about parents here who get to pick top schools like RI, river valley, NYGH, RGS etc etc, and it reminded me of the time when son received his PSLE results which didn't give him many choices. 2012 really sucked big time, because there was so many areas to improve in but we didn't know where to start, neither did we have time.

Fortunately we survived 2013 and 2014 when son worked hard to be able to do 2 combined sciences, 1 pure bio, 2 Math in Sec 3, not the first choice of triple Sciences but contended with 2nd option.

Now having a daughter who has a learning impairment and don't know what she can do...but cannot give up on her. That feeling of despair is really driving me nuts.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happyheart » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Thank you! All I can say is this is a good thread...something for People with real challenges :love:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:41 pm

janet88 wrote:Now having a daughter who has a learning impairment and don't know what she can do...but cannot give up on her. That feeling of despair is really driving me nuts.

There may not be professional or qualified advices but many including myself are willing to lend a pair of listening ears here.
I know it is easier said than done.
But results/studies are very important but truly not the whole of life.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:48 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
isetan wrote:We were doing some charity works last Friday for the needy. It's a one room flat of 6 living together. It's a poor family of low income of $800per month. Needs to feed 4 ongoing school children. We spoke to the child who just gotten his psle results of 173. He is going to the normal stream soon and we do a lot of encouraging words to him and that life don't end there. He is enlightened by our words.

OT: any social benefits in terms of financial assistance provided? what about the cdac (?) providing tuition to children who are relatively weak in studies?

Yes They have gotten social benefits for this Muslim family but not too sure any tuitions provided.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees