NJC or HCI?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

NJC or HCI?

Postby havok_ex » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:45 pm

Hey there, I need some advice. My younger brother just got his O-level results today and he scored 3 points after CCA and higher MT deductions. He was thinking of going NJC or HCI but is worried about going to HCI. He is from a neighborhood secondary school and his PSLE was at 338. He feels that he is not 'smart' enough for top schools like HCJC and RJC and is afraid that he wont fit in. Any advice? Would NJC be a better fit for him? Or should he try for HCI? I feel that he should try for HCI but I dont want him to be pressured either.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: NJC or HCI?

Postby zbear » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Did I read correctly - PSLE is 338???

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby havok_ex » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:12 pm

zbear wrote:Did I read correctly - PSLE is 338???

Haha. Sorry typo, 238.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby isetan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:37 pm

havok_ex wrote:Hey there, I need some advice. My younger brother just got his O-level results today and he scored 3 points after CCA and higher MT deductions. He was thinking of going NJC or HCI but is worried about going to HCI. He is from a neighborhood secondary school and his PSLE was at 338. He feels that he is not 'smart' enough for top schools like HCJC and RJC and is afraid that he wont fit in. Any advice? Would NJC be a better fit for him? Or should he try for HCI? I feel that he should try for HCI but I dont want him to be pressured either.

Normally by history, the cut off for HCI or RI is 2 points. Nothing wrong if he score 238 during Psle as its all abt hard work. And that's proven to be paid off. He can still put these JCs as first choice follow by NJC. Take up the challenge if I were in his shoe.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby pirated » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:49 pm

PSLE score is totally irrelevant here.

It just proves that any school can produce 3 or 4 pointers if the students work hard.

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jennifer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:30 pm

havok_ex wrote:Hey there, I need some advice. My younger brother just got his O-level results today and he scored 3 points after CCA and higher MT deductions. He was thinking of going NJC or HCI but is worried about going to HCI. He is from a neighborhood secondary school and his PSLE was at 338. He feels that he is not 'smart' enough for top schools like HCJC and RJC and is afraid that he wont fit in. Any advice? Would NJC be a better fit for him? Or should he try for HCI? I feel that he should try for HCI but I dont want him to be pressured either.

I am unfamiliar with O lvl results getting into JC requirements.

Just curious:
1. What is the score before CCA and HMT deductions?
2. How did your brother manage to get the score? Assisted by intensive tuitions? or independent self study?

Other than considering the points system, which school environment does your brother prefer?

All the best to your brother.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zeemimi » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:31 pm

What's your bro's personality? Is he sociable? Adapts easily? Any same sec sch friends going to same jc as him?
NJC will have a better mix of students from many other sec schools compared to HCI. And with the segregation of ip and jae students, i think it is easier to fit in if he's doesn't have many friends going with him.
I don't think going to NJC will short change your bro.
Let him make his own decision so that when things get tough, it's due to his own choice and he is responsible for himself.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Skyed » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:37 pm

I would say HC. Anyway the chance of getting into HC is not 100% since he got 3, so put NJ as 2nd choice then see fate haha.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Skyed » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:37 pm

I would say HC. Anyway the chance of getting into HC is not 100% since he got 3, so put NJ as 2nd choice then see fate haha.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby pirated » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:01 am

These were old rivals

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees