H2 Math or H2 Physics?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

H2 Math or H2 Physics?

Postby stsl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:48 pm

DD is interested in this combi : H2 Economic, Lit, Math and H1 Physics. But heard H2 Math is very tough. So should she change to H2 Physics and take H1 Math instead?

Her A math and Physics both scored B3 in O level. If she takes this combi, what courses can she take in Uni?

Appreciate any reply.

stsl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: H2 Math or H2 Physics?

Postby Skyed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:13 pm

Most science courses need H2 chem, and usually together with H2 math or physics. Take a look at the course prerequisites on nus website to see what courses would be available without h2 math/phy. Are you sure she should take H2 phy? Personally I also scored a B3 for physics in my Os and my physics was really cmi. If her physics standard is like mine, I would really really not advise on taking H2 phy. I can't imagine even coping with H1 phy tbh. Right now you are looking at a hybrid combi - which doesn't really open more doors than an arts combi, especially if you take H2 physics. And also, I don't think many (if any) JCs offer H2 physics without H2 chem. Hybrid courses pretty much always have chem and math as the science subjects.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby havok_ex » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:16 pm

stsl wrote:DD is interested in this combi : H2 Economic, Lit, Math and H1 Physics. But heard H2 Math is very tough. So should she change to H2 Physics and take H1 Math instead?

Her A math and Physics both scored B3 in O level. If she takes this combi, what courses can she take in Uni?

Appreciate any reply.

H2 Physics by itself is useless. One requires H2 math + Any H2 Science + O level Physics to enter engineering courses.

For science courses, they require both H2 Math and H2 (Science). Replace (science) with the relevant degree course like Physics if you are heading for physics or Biology if you're heading for Bio/Life Science.

Courses like biz/acct only require H1 math. Social sciences dont have any pre-requisites other than GP.

If she takes H2 math, she will have access to one more type of course, which is mathematical science in NTU and NUS's Mathematics courses.

IMO, she should take H2 Math. With it, at least she can still apply for math courses. With H2 Physics and only H1 math, she cant apply for sciences or engineering and she cant apply for math courses either.

The best way is to take both at H2 level, thus opening up almost all courses.

Source:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/registrar/nusbull ... requisites

http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_fil ... ements.pdf

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby stsl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:32 pm

Thanks for replying. I think H2 Math is probably the best choice then. Taking both H2 Math and H2 Physics is impossible for her. She will be struggling.. may be with even 1 H2 Math.

stsl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mistymum » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:46 pm

what about H2 Maths, H2 Chemistry and H2 Physics ? I just heard from someone that this combo is tough. I thot this is a common combo for science student.

mistymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby stsl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:53 pm

PCEM is a very common combo if the student is good in both physics and chem.

mistymum wrote:what about H2 Maths, H2 Chemistry and H2 Physics ? I just heard from someone that this combo is tough. I thot this is a common combo for science student.

stsl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mathtuition88 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Maths, Physics, Chem is a good combo as they reinforce each other.

Math helps Physics, since both require equations.

Physics help Chem, since H2 Chem theory of electron shells is actually related to physics.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby angwc » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:18 am

It depends on the choice of courses the student intends to take in university. If it is engineering, computing related then H2 Math is very important as H1 Math is intended more for students pursuing social sciences or business courses.

Economics is probably not as useful if the student has no intention to pursue economics or business courses. I would advise the student to pick Math over Econs.

No subject is easy, it depends on the student's ability and he/she must work hard for it.

angwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby happymum123 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Pls consider H2 maths as it is equally tough as physics but I think understanding maths is still easier so long you have the interest. H2 maths opens up more choices.

happymum123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby stsl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Agreed that H2 Math probably easier than H2 Physics. So have advised DD to take that..

happymum123 wrote:Pls consider H2 maths as it is equally tough as physics but I think understanding maths is still easier so long you have the interest. H2 maths opens up more choices.

stsl
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees