PW results

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

PW results

Postby red rose » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Anyone has any stats to share from their JCs?

RI saw a significant drop in distinctions this year, only 72.5% compared to almost 90% last year. Last year was 100% As and Bs, this year even had Cs!!

Is this a national trend or only in RI? Thanks.

red rose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: PW results

Postby jtoh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm

red rose wrote:Anyone has any stats to share from their JCs?

RI saw a significant drop in distinctions this year, only 72.5% compared to almost 90% last year. Last year was 100% As and Bs, this year even had Cs!!

There was a C last year, not 100% A/B.

There were Cs this year? Were they concentrated in a certain class?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Augmum » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:18 pm

Red rose, did the sch offically announce the PW stats ?
According to my gal, their PW Ts said that they could not reveal... :scratchhead:
This yr, their results certainly fared better than last yr..
No heard of any C...100% As and Bs, same as last few yrs...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby red rose » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Augmum wrote:

Red rose, did the sch offically announce the PW stats ?
According to my gal, their PW Ts said that they could not reveal... :scratchhead:
This yr, their results certainly fared better than last yr..
No heard of any C...100% As and Bs, same as last few yrs...

PW teacher told them, I think to encourage those who did not get As. Results this year definitely worse than last year. Not sure how many Cs though. Would be good to know other schools' stats.

red rose
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby angwc » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:43 pm

PW is one very biased subject as the grading is not consistent. First of all the grading was done through internal school teachers and SEAB only do sampling to moderate. This means not all scripts will be re-evaluated and takes some luck to see if they sampled good reports or not.

Every year there may be schools "specially" selected to be moderated (down) significantly to give a signal that moderation has taken place.

They should just scrap this as A level examinable subject.

angwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zeemimi » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:22 pm

PW has its merits but the process and effort required far outweigh its value, being a H1 subject.

In https://www.seab.gov.sg/content/syllabu ... 9_2015.pdf it is stated “The groups are expected to complete the task within 28 weeks (recommended time of 60–75 hours, assuming an average of 2.5 hours per week) where they will define the project focus, analyse and evaluate the information gathered, prepare an oral presentation and submit a written report.”

Oh come on! The students spend more than 2.5 hours per day doing PW, throughout the entire 28 weeks. PW turned their lives upside down.

I don’t know if it is just RI or it’s the same across every school, the topics the PW tutor proposed is very different from what the students proposed, and the difficulty / scope is often beyond the students. Hence the humongous effort and time spent on research, drafts and drafts, etc just to produce a slight semblance of what the tutor wants.

When I showed my friend who is a PW tutor fr another JC DD’s PW group work, she was impressed with the work done and the depth involved. However, throughout the 28 weeks, DD”s PW group was slammed by her tutor for lousy and sub-std work. The entire class was just happy to be done with PW and rid of that PW tutor. The students’ negative feelings is somewhat lessen with the good grades most of them received today. And I heard the cycle of humiliation / screaming / scolding by this tutor has started all over again with the JC1 this year. And if RI has many of such PW tutors, I won't be surprised with the statistics. RI students generally do not need motivation when it comes to PW. They just need encouragement and a little guidance which is sorely lacking.

As mentioned in another post, the marking is subjective. A friend of mine who had 2 kids a year apart and studying in different JCs remarked that there is some form of unfairness in PW. In comparison, one JC gave more guidance than the other JC. Naturally, the grades were predictable.

Yes, I agree, PW should be scrapped.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 pm

2.5 hours a week? That's laughable. More like 2.5 hours a day, and much more in the last few weeks.

And I agree PW is very subjective as it's marked by the teachers themselves. Some schools give a lot more guidance, some minimal. And it's known that MOE bears down heavily on some schools. I wouldn't even consider this a national exam as your performance is judged against your peers in your own school rather than against the national cohort. Yes, there's some mediation by way of external invigilators, but it's just a small sample that the invigilators sit in on.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sushi88 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Sounds like PW should be done for the fun of the learning journey but not graded since the grading makes no sense in consistent standards. Propose to MOE?

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby angwc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:16 am

By right the amount of guidance should be limited because it should be the students' own ideas and own effort.

I personally know of some tutors who are very kind to help edit the project documents and ideas to the extent that it becomes the tutor's own project instead of the students. All for the sake of producing A for PW to account for.

However this has made Project Work meaningless and students doesn't learn the fact that when they do projects in university and in their careers, who will do all the editing (to that extent) for them?

It will be nice if PW serves as a criteria for promotion of year 1 to year 2 instead of an official A level subject.

angwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Augmum » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:20 am

zeemimi wrote:Yes, I agree, PW should be scrapped.

I agree this PW stuff to be scrapped too...it's far too time consuming, literally "eating" into the time for other subjs...

Right...2.5 hr a day... no kidding... n the frustration of making drafts after drafts...
Esp...during the last phase, some groups had to work round the clock, taking turns to nap before heading to sch the next day ....Poor kids !!

Fortunately, it only stretches for the 1st yr... I am juz glad that my gal was done with it...

In fact, they merrily celebrated right after the oral presentation ended to mark the "end of it"... despite whatever the results outcome...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees