Accountancy Course

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Accountancy Course

Postby rollover » Fri May 15, 2015 12:44 pm

My son is a Science Stream student. He got his 'A' Levels results in March this year and got a place in NTU Accountancy. He is not sure if he is cut out to read Accountancy. Since he is now serving NS, he can still decide over the next 2 years.

Does the Accountancy course offer good job prospect in Singapore? What is the impact on Accountancy graduates when the door is open to foreign citizens to apply for Accounting jobs here?

rollover
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Accountancy Course

Postby alng » Fri May 15, 2015 1:37 pm

rollover wrote:My son is a Science Stream student. He got his 'A' Levels results in March this year and got a place in NTU Accountancy. He is not sure if he is cut out to read Accountancy. Since he is now serving NS, he can still decide over the next 2 years.

Does the Accountancy course offer good job prospect in Singapore? What is the impact on Accountancy graduates when the door is open to foreign citizens to apply for Accounting jobs here?

Hi,

The accounting profession is booming. We are facing demands more than supplies right now. The accounting profession has opened its door not just to foreigners but also to non-accounting graduates to be converted to accountants. At the current moment, our local universities are not producing enough graduates to meet the demands.

The outlook for the next 10 years (at least) is increase in demands. Anything beyond 10 years is actually none of my business liao. :-)

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Fri May 15, 2015 11:22 pm

I recall during the 1st accounting lecture I attended, the lecturer said that accountants are very important - whether starting up, operating or winding down, an accountant is needed.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Fri May 15, 2015 11:30 pm

bb_ mom wrote:I recall during the 1st accounting lecture I attended, the lecturer said that accountants are very important - whether starting up, operating or winding down, an accountant is needed.

Me too! Ha, we were probably "conned" by the same lecturer :cry:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Fri May 15, 2015 11:39 pm

Imami wrote:
bb_ mom wrote:I recall during the 1st accounting lecture I attended, the lecturer said that accountants are very important - whether starting up, operating or winding down, an accountant is needed.

:rotflmao:

And then recently I attended a course (need the cpe hours). According to the law lecturer, accoutants face a higher % of being replaced by technology. :gloomy: But I think it refers more to book keepers.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Sat May 16, 2015 11:16 am

Imami wrote:

haha! I also heard that 20+ years ago.... why conned? The lecturer was not wrong since I have never been out of jobs all these years and also do not foresee myself to be out of jobs in the next 10 years... :lol:

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Sat May 16, 2015 11:18 am

bb_ mom wrote:
And then recently I attended a course (need the cpe hours). According to the law lecturer, accoutants face a higher % of being replaced by technology. :gloomy: But I think it refers more to book keepers.

I wonder if that law lecturer knows that currently, the accounting program in the local uni is more popular than the law program. :lol:

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushigal » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Anyone here needs accountancy coaching and understanding it. You may PM me direct.

sushigal
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lucky Cat GP Guru » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:38 pm

Accountancy as a course opens up a significant number of doors for your child. Most students will proceed to work in Audit or Tax but there are also some who get into banks and other financial institutions.

The caveat is that Accountancy-related jobs are extremely tedious to most graduates - for instance the starting graduate pay at a "Big 4" is just below S$3k but hours are long. Attrition rates are high as well.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Lucky Cat GP Guru
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby excalibres » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi! I am currently a business student in NTU with many friends in accountancy as well.

Hearing from my seniors who graduated this year, the market is currently quite bad the even the big4s are cutting head count. But generally, many of my seniors in different fields are echoing the same thing as well (market bad, freeze headcount, stop hiring etc).

However, I observed some my seniors are still able to clinch rather good jobs despite the market conditions. As for myself, I got myself head hunted before graduation and dont need to worry for job hunting ;)

excalibres
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees