Guide: All About A Levels

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Guide: All About A Levels

Post by Skyed » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:11 am

zbear wrote:Skyed, you have just completed your A level exams this year?

Can you share how you cope with studies n CCA starting from Jan - Dec 2014? What is your method of studying n handling your mental n physical health?

Most of our kids here are taking A levels next year n we mummies (or rather me) are really worried/stressed as to how our kids are going to go through 2015.

I am sure they will survive but being a parent (again, maybe me only) cant help but have parental concerns.
Yup finished As this year. I try to sleep before 12 every day. My CCAs were a club and a sport, and the sport was 3x a week, on weekdays ending around 9pm, and taking up about half my saturday. Club required much less commitment, only once a week from 3-5pm. On days where training ends at 9pm it's virtually impossible to do any work after training bc too tired, so I plan ahead and do tutorials etc in advance (eg. due on tues, I'll get it done by sun because I have training on monday). For CT1 I was having season, so I did neglect studies quite a bit and my CT1 results weren't good. CT2 was a bit better, I had 2 weeks of june to study and for prelims I started revising around 3 weeks?? before or so. Just reading through notes though, only started really memorising around the week before. Before and after prelims I stayed in school most days till around 9-10pm studying. My school has a system where we can order food in from this restaurant nearby, so it was pretty convenient to stay late in school to study. I would say the most impt thing is don't burn out? Knew of some people who studied too hard for prelims then burned out a bit for As. And also don't give up, school papers are really much harder than the actual As. Just persevere.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by micko07 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:32 pm

zbear wrote:Skyed, you have just completed your A level exams this year?

Can you share how you cope with studies n CCA starting from Jan - Dec 2014? What is your method of studying n handling your mental n physical health?

Most of our kids here are taking A levels next year n we mummies (or rather me) are really worried/stressed as to how our kids are going to go through 2015.

I am sure they will survive but being a parent (again, maybe me only) cant help but have parental concerns.
Adding on to what Skyed has said, I think it's important to plan long-term and maintain perspective (which can also be applied to life more generally, like applying to grad school/ jobs in university).

At this stage, it might be helpful to sit down with your child and talk about post-JC plans (eg gap years, university, choice of courses, overseas and/ or local). It gives parents and children some perspective as to what will be required, for instance, by referring to the Indicative Grade Profile (eg if your first choice is SMU/ NUS Law, you should be aiming for no less than 4 As), and might give them added motivation to keep going when it gets tough.

However, it is also important that students have a plan B (eg my first choice is Law, but if I don't make the grades, my second is NUS FASS, third is NTU Psychology etc). I think it's important that they understand (A) A levels are important (not just for applying to University; some employers have minimum requirements too) but (B) it isn't the end of the world if things don't work out. It is important to keep things in perspective, and I think students sometimes lose track of that amidst all the stress.

And yeah, like what Skyed said, don't burn out (I've seen it happen more than once, and it's very unfortunate). Pacing is important, especially in the lead-up to Prelims/ A levels. Have a revision schedule to make sure all the essentials are covered, but don't overkill it. I think I studied less than Skyed leading up to As (probably not til 9-10pm most days, usually stopped after dinner), so don't be excessively alarmed if you hear stories about other kids putting in more hours. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Eat well, sleep well, be balanced - I'm the sort of person who can't tolerate just studying all day, so I take time out to destress (physical activity and music might be good options). Consistency helps too - if you're usually on top of your work as it comes, revision will be smoother because you won't be scrambling to grapple with the material.

Best of luck to all 2015 J2s!

Eldest Daughter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Eldest Daughter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:38 pm

Hey. Just curious, will the grade obtained during the Higher Chinese O level examination be reflected on the A level certificate? If so, will it affect your university admission score, and will it affect your chances of entering the university course of your choice? Thanks!

Eldest Daughter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Eldest Daughter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:06 pm

And, if the O Level grade is not reflected, will we be asked to submit it during the submission of the portfolio for the application process into university? Thanks

MommyDearest
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Looking for private tutor of H2 Chemistry

Post by MommyDearest » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm currently looking for a private tutor (preferably male) to coach my DS in H2 Chemistry. He will be taking his 'A' Levels this year. We are staying in the East.
Appreciate any referral to a responsible & experienced tutor. TIA!!

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Skyed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Not sure if it's reflected, but MT is not used in computing UAS. However if you get a good score, it can be included to increase the UAS. There are bonus points too if you plan on entering MT-related course in uni.

Eldest Daughter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Eldest Daughter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:01 pm

I got a C5 for HMT :yikes: but plan to enter yllsom, will this C5 then affect my chances of getting in and will this also cause me to be prejudiced against people who score better than me in HMT but score the same with me in the other subjects for A levels?

MdmKS
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by MdmKS » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:35 pm

Eldest Daughter wrote:I got a C5 for HMT :yikes: but plan to enter yllsom, will this C5 then affect my chances of getting in and will this also cause me to be prejudiced against people who score better than me in HMT but score the same with me in the other subjects for A levels?
Good question. How about those are not even qualify to take o level higher MT? How does the score of H1Chinese which is easier to score put them in better position ?

Eldest Daughter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Eldest Daughter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:47 pm

C5 for HMT is converted to D for H1 MT if considered for calculation

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Eldest Daughter wrote:C5 for HMT is converted to D for H1 MT if considered for calculation
Really ? HMT boh hua leh