Guide: All About A Levels

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
MdmKS
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Guide: All About A Levels

Post by MdmKS » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Eldest Daughter wrote:C5 for HMT is converted to D for H1 MT if considered for calculation
Will this be printed in the A level cert ?

Eldest Daughter
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Eldest Daughter » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:35 pm

My view is that yllsom may choose to have students who have a good grasp of chinese, so I am just worried that my C5 this time round would place me in a disadvantage (when I apply to yllsom as this C5 would be reflected as a D) since an A would be preferred.

MdmKS
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by MdmKS » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Eldest Daughter wrote:My view is that yllsom may choose to have students who have a good grasp of chinese, so I am just worried that my C5 this time round would place me in a disadvantage (when I apply to yllsom as this C5 would be reflected as a D) since an A would be preferred.
If that is true then why MOE gives exemption to take H1 Chinese in jc years for all who attain just a pass in o level higher Chinese?

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:21 pm

MdmKS wrote:
Eldest Daughter wrote:My view is that yllsom may choose to have students who have a good grasp of chinese, so I am just worried that my C5 this time round would place me in a disadvantage (when I apply to yllsom as this C5 would be reflected as a D) since an A would be preferred.
If that is true then why MOE gives exemption to take H1 Chinese in jc years for all who attain just a pass in o level higher Chinese?
Right!

In fact as long as u get D7 for O level HMT you are exempted from H1 MT in JC.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:108

Post by jtoh » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:38 am

Eldest Daughter wrote:I got a C5 for HMT :yikes: but plan to enter yllsom, will this C5 then affect my chances of getting in and will this also cause me to be prejudiced against people who score better than me in HMT but score the same with me in the other subjects for A levels?
HMT score doesn't matter much in your application to yllsom. What's more important is how you do in the interviews once you've made it to that round.

Kiasucy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Kiasucy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:24 am

jtoh wrote:
Eldest Daughter wrote:I got a C5 for HMT :yikes: but plan to enter yllsom, will this C5 then affect my chances of getting in and will this also cause me to be prejudiced against people who score better than me in HMT but score the same with me in the other subjects for A levels?
HMT score doesn't matter much in your application to yllsom. What's more important is how you do in the interviews once you've made it to that round.
Will it affect getting scholarship then?

Kiasucy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Kiasucy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:30 am

Anyone know how H1 Chinese grade will be used ? Is it considered as one H1 subject and also contribute to UAS?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:108

Post by jtoh » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:34 am

Kiasucy wrote:Anyone know how H1 Chinese grade will be used ? Is it considered as one H1 subject and also contribute to UAS?
UAS is calculated based on 3H2s, GP, PW & 1 content H1. MT doesn't count into the calculation. But if your MT score helps to pull up your overall UAS it will be counted.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Skyed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:13 pm

jtoh wrote:
Kiasucy wrote:Anyone know how H1 Chinese grade will be used ? Is it considered as one H1 subject and also contribute to UAS?
UAS is calculated based on 3H2s, GP, PW & 1 content H1. MT doesn't count into the calculation. But if your MT score helps to pull up your overall UAS it will be counted.
and additional bonus points if one is applying to MT-related courses in uni. (I think it only applies if you get A though. not sure.)

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Skyed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Kiasucy wrote:
jtoh wrote:
Will it affect getting scholarship then?
depends on the scholarship. but if all else equal eg . two students both have same grades, both outstanding cca but one has an A vs another D in chinese... I'm sure it'll be considered.