International Baccalaureate

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

International Baccalaureate

Postby MysticPurple » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:48 am

My daughter is sitting for her O level this year and she told me she is keen on going to IB instead of JC or poly.

Thing is, I'm clueless about IB. All I know is that student join at secondary level and they skip O level. My girl told me that after her O level she can join IB, is this true?

I would appreciate if someone would be kind enough to enlighten me on this IB program. I'm really at a loss about its admission, curriculum, etc.

TIA....

MysticPurple
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: International Baccalaureate

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:08 am

The IB diploma programme starts at Yr5/JC1. The middle years (sec1-4) years lead up to it but are not mandatory. The schools which offer IB do take in students in Yr5/JC1. You can google to find out more.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tck » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:00 am

Local schools that offer the IB Diploma are SJI and ACSI. The bulk of their students are from their own through-train (Integrated) programmes, but there are places available for students who join after O-levels.

The L1R5 for SJI 2013 intake was 7, according to the FAQ. You can find out more about the programme in SJI's IB page.
http://www.sji.edu.sg/programmes/academ ... -questions

tck
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby 12mum » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:40 pm

I think sji and acsi already had their open house and acs international was like a week or two ago.

Sji international open house is in sept. Would be good to go and speak to the teachers and students (not necessarily mean you must study in this school in the future) to have a better idea what Ib is all abt. Go see sji international website for more info.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MysticPurple » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks ! Will go check out

MysticPurple
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby johnnyenglish » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Nice to hear your daughter considering IB. I was from ACS(I) class of 2013 with a score of 43. I have the following to share.

Yes your daughter can join the IB programme through the joint admission exercise as she would for a JC. Currently only 2 national schools offer IB, SJI and ACS I. As mentioned above both have relatively competitive cut off points. For my year it was 5. Otherwise you would have to consider international schools.

The curriculum is fairly similar to A levels with students taking subjects combinations commonly found in JC. Then again ACS runs the programme as though it was a regular JC. Higher level (HL) and standard level (SL) corresponds to H2 and H1 respectively. There is no H3 equivalent, which is important to consider especially if she wants to take on more academically rigorous subjects.

You will have to read 6 subjects 3 HL + 3 SL and complete a 4000 word extended essay and 1600 word essay and presentation for theory of knowledge. The last two components trains you to be an independent learner.

IB is an excellent alternative if your daughter wants a more holistic and broad education at the expense of some academic rigour. The GCE A level math and science subjects often cover more topics and at greater depth. Nonetheless, with decent scores your daughter can easily get in the more selective local university courses. IB is an excellent choice if she wants to study overseas since it is an internationally recognised qualification.

I hope I helped. Feel free to PM me if you need more information.

johnnyenglish
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lalaland » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:37 am

I am thinking - are all schools offering the IB equal - SJI, ACSI, SOTA, the "local" international schools, the "real" international schools like UWC, etc...?

I have heard that some schools are more "holistic" in their approach. They are less score conscious and encourage the students to go beyond their comfort zone. Some schools, on the other hand, discourage students from taking challenging subjects, or encourage them to "downgrade" to less difficult subject levels.

Any comments/experience?

lalaland
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees