All About Overseas Education

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Re: All About Overseas Education

Post by .zeit » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Separately, no more Norwegian Air LCC to London from next Jan.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... nuary-2019

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:17 am

.zeit wrote:Anyone remembers trying this hack on some EU appliances in the UK? I believe some of my appliances came with this sort of 2-pin round plug.

[/youtube]
Best not to use a screwdriver (metallic)! Even with the plastic handle, I would advise not taking the risk. Using something non-metallic should be OK (which is what those plastic thingys do).

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:71

Post by zac's mum » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
.zeit wrote:Anyone remembers trying this hack on some EU appliances in the UK? I believe some of my appliances came with this sort of 2-pin round plug.

[/youtube]
Best not to use a screwdriver (metallic)! Even with the plastic handle, I would advise not taking the risk. Using something non-metallic should be OK (which is what those plastic thingys do).
Before the plastic thingy was invented, my parents & I used to just use a ballpoint pen. Did the same job as a screwdriver.

But I agree with slmkhoo. Those plastic things are now so cheap and readily available. I always have a dozen lying around at home & feel safer using those. The old method is just a fallback if I really don’t have the plastic adapters on hand.

Zappy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:16

Post by Zappy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:30 pm

Yes, I agree those plastic things are so inexpensive, you should just use it.

Just to clarify though, that top slot of a 3-pin plug is connected to Earth. There is no current flowing through it, so it's not electrically dangerous to use screwdriver/ pen to push it in.

But... to reiterate, I think we should just get those plastic slot covers - just in case someone pokes into the wrong hole where there's actually electricity flowing and also because you can damage the plastic socket cover if anyhow pry the hole.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by .zeit » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:58 pm

If the child is keen and free to experiment with Asian cooking, you can pack in your luggage or simply advance-courier sachets / boxes of ready-to-cook sauces to the UK now. For instance, I'd shipped different Prima Taste pastes to my overseas residence before. They are light and non-fragile.

You can consider shipping some Amocan curry, Dancing Chef laksa/chix rice, Lee Kum Kee sachets or A1 Bak kut teh bags so your child doesn't run of ideas in the kitchen! You can find LKK sauces in jars in the UK. Not too sure about Woh Hup, Sing Long and Chng Kee...

The good thing about such sachets / boxes is you can lock them up in your room and need not refrigerate the balance in the communal fridge. You also don't need a can-opener. Fast to cook, good to eat in winter.

My mom DHLed CNY goodies and bak kwa to me in Feb. I don't know if there were any restrictions on meats back then, but I managed to get my fresh BCH in tupperware. Maybe vacuum sealed bak kwa slices are ok?