Term Holidays for local University students

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Term Holidays for local University students

Postby Fairy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:12 pm

Just returned from year end holiday with my family and wonders if it would be equally easy to plan our next family vacation in the future as my younger child enters uni next year.

My dc1 will be doing his 2nd year NS and dc2 will be entering uni come 2016.

Can any parent with children in uni share how you schedule your family vacation? What are the best periods of the year to slot in family holidays? Can it still be during the year end season?

Looking forward to tips and advice from fellow ksp members.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Term Holidays for local University students

Postby havok_ex » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:24 pm

You can google online for the university's academic calender. It really depends on which uni your child is in. If she is entering in 2016 then you are looking for Academic Year 2016-2017 calender.

NUS: https://share.nus.edu.sg/registrar/info ... 6-2017.pdf
NTU: http://www.ntu.edu.sg/Students/Undergra ... 16-17.aspx

SMU: http://info.smu.edu.sg/courses/acad_cal ... 016-17.pdf

December vacation period for these 3 universities is approximately from 5 Dec to 9 Jan.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Uni vacation

Postby nani » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi

anyone can advice for nus/ntu vacations in june & dec, do they still have to go back for projects etc?

Appreciate an urgent reply. Thanks

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Uni vacation

Postby kennethTutor » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:36 am

nani wrote:Hi

anyone can advice for nus/ntu vacations in june & dec, do they still have to go back for projects etc?

June holiday is the long holiday. Typically it starts mid-late May and ends by early August.

December holiday is the short one. Typically it ends early January.

For academic projects, some projects may last an entire academic year. For example, my Final Year Project (Engineering major) started from July and ended May the next year. My December holidays was mostly spent in school.

Check with your school's office if there's any such projects. They should be able to help you.

For non-academic projects (e.g. CCA or hall-related), students can be quite active during the holidays.

kennethTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nani » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:33 am

Thanks for your input.

So the final year is as good as no vacation break. May I know for the non-academic in Dec is it compulsory? What are the consequences if we do not attend.

Reason asking as my family intend to be away for the whole month.

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zbear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:08 am

I didn't know Uni vacation falls at the same time as Pri/Sec/JC holidays so again, going away on holiday will be during peak season.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nani » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:46 am

Peak season is one thing but no choice that's when family can get together for a vacation.

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CarrotTree » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:48 am

kennethTutor wrote:
nani wrote:Hi

June holiday is the long holiday. Typically it starts mid-late May and ends by early August.

December holiday is the short one. Typically it ends early January.

For academic projects, some projects may last an entire academic year. For example, my Final Year Project (Engineering major) started from July and ended May the next year. My December holidays was mostly spent in school.

Check with your school's office if there's any such projects. They should be able to help you.

For non-academic projects (e.g. CCA or hall-related), students can be quite active during the holidays.

Does this also mean that the student's internship ( overseas or local ) also fall during their holiday break? so it quite difficult to plan for all in the family when there are those in secondary level

CarrotTree
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:34 am

nani wrote:Peak season is one thing but no choice that's when family can get together for a vacation.

I also have a difficult time trying to plan a family holiday as both my kids have their own activities n dates always clash.

:mad:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathtuition88 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:35 am

For most students, internship is optional.

In NUS, from experience, during vacations there is most likely nothing ongoing, unless the student signs up for (optional) vacation courses/internship/exchange.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees