E8 FOR ENGLISH CAN'T APPEAL HELP

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
RikuYagami
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: E8 FOR ENGLISH CAN'T APPEAL HELP

Post by RikuYagami » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Have a new problem now hoping if anyone could help me with answering my question. Edited main post.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:278

Post by floppy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:52 pm

RikuYagami wrote:Have a new problem now hoping if anyone could help me with answering my question. Edited main post.
Would be better if you quote the query here than edit the main post.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by kitty2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:52 pm

RikuYagami wrote:Have a new problem now hoping if anyone could help me with answering my question. Edited main post.

Not sure you still can apply now, my friend's son scored E8 for english last year too. He applied RP and was being called up for interview.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:27

Post by havok_ex » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:31 am

I don't think it's possible for you to go to poly. Your other subjects are not actually good either. So you don't have any bargaining chip to appeal with.

secschbioteacher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: E8 FOR ENGLISH

Post by secschbioteacher » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:23 pm

floppy wrote:
kitty2 wrote:
RikuYagami wrote:Thanks for the tips and I have 1 question. Do I need to spend 2 or 1 year(s) if I went to ITE higher nitec and go poly afterwards?
My neighbour who has the same results as you is in 2 years ITE higher nitec
As kitty2 mentioned, Higher Nitec is a 2 year programme. You can choose to go to Poly after 2 years (subject to you meeting the cut-off requirements).

However, in your case, your overall result isn't too bad, only let down by English. Hence, it may be more worthwhile to re-sit for your English paper (while studying in the Higher Nitec course) and then apply directly to the Poly. Choose a Higher Nitec programme that's close to the course you want to do in Poly - you will find life in Poly year 1 much easier subsequently.
If you checked with RP personally and they rejected your appeal, don't base your case based on hearsay on online forum that so-and-so got an E8 yet got through the appeal.

You have four choices:
1) Go back to your sec school to repeat - which includes repeating all subjects other than just English. Cheapest way out, but success rate is dependent on individual.

2) Go ITE Higher NITEC course but take O level English as private candidate. I agree with what floppy said, going back to school makes studying a bit easier coz your life still pretty much revolves around books. But to ensure that you get the necessary grade to make it for English, please get a good English tutor for this one year to help you with your weak areas in English.

3) Take a break entirely and work full time while preparing for O level English. This is the most drastic measure, and I don't recommend it at all. Many lose their momentum to study half way through and didn't even sit for the paper in the end.

4) Try diploma programmes offered by reputable private institutions (MDIS/UNISIM etc). Highly likely their criteria is less stringent than poly so at least you don't waste a year.