Networking Group - Hwa Chong JC

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Networking Group - Hwa Chong JC

Postby zbear » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:48 pm

Hi All

I like to start a new home thread for all JC students and parents so that it's easier to discuss n share topics for JC section.

Pls fall in n lets form a group to chitchat. Hope there will be a good response :smile:

I will start first -

zbear DS JC1
chandelier DS JC1
esme38 DD JC1
tsh0202 DS JC1
joe0599 DS JC1
Mum1113 DS JC1
Last edited by zbear on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Hwa Chong JC

Postby Chandelier » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:22 am

Checking in :rahrah: :thankyou: Zbear for creating this thread for JC :snuggles: I will try my best to stay active in this thread coz I am flying and most of the time not in town :sweat:

DS in JC 1 :dancing:

Chandelier
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby zbear » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:20 am

Chandelier wrote:Checking in :rahrah: :thankyou: Zbear for creating this thread for JC :snuggles: I will try my best to stay active in this thread coz I am flying and most of the time not in town :sweat:

Welcome Chandelier to HC JC. :smile:

Hope you will have the time to read n talk about our dear boys who will be 'suffering' for the next two years.

DS told me they have been warned yesterday that they will go through 'hell' after orientation ends.

:rotflmao:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rylee » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:25 am

zbear wrote:
Chandelier wrote:Checking in :rahrah: :thankyou: Zbear for creating this thread for JC :snuggles: I will try my best to stay active in this thread coz I am flying and most of the time not in town :sweat:

Hope you will have the time to read n talk about our dear boys who will be 'suffering' for the next two years.

DS told me they have been warned yesterday that they will go through 'hell' after orientation ends.

Hi zbear, u are right, JC1 will be hell as their exam is super tough. Especially for HCI. My ds1 used to exchange his test papers with his best friend in HCI as both schools test papers are known to be killer paper. His secondary school friend suffered there for two years and managed a full straight As A level result. :rahrah:

rylee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby esme38 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:22 am

zbear wrote:Hi All

I like to start a new home thread for all JC students and parents so that it's easier to discuss n share topics for JC section.

Pls fall in n lets form a group to chitchat. Hope there will be a good response :smile:

I will start first -

Zbear DS JC1

My DD just joined C1. Was told to register subject combi by Wednesday morning.

esme38
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby angwc » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:50 am

rylee wrote:
zbear wrote:

Hi zbear, u are right, JC1 will be hell as their exam is super tough. Especially for HCI. My ds1 used to exchange his test papers with his best friend in HCI as both schools test papers are known to be killer paper. His secondary school friend suffered there for two years and managed a full straight As A level result. :rahrah:

Actually HCI paper for Math isn't that tough for JC1. There are a few schools with papers that are actually more demanding such as ACJC, DHS.

In fact from MOE's point of view HCI students should be getting straight As or near straight As as they are taking in the top percentage of the students in terms of academic ability.

When I analyse different school's teaching materials, one thing I like about HCI's approach (for math) is that they drill alot on the fundamentals, their tutorial questions are not too many, of medium standard at most.

Hell is the same for all JC students as the A level curriculum is a big jump from O level due to the short time to learn, longer lesson hours and faster pace with significantly tougher content.

Finally from my point of view (according to my 2 friends teaching there) what makes HCI perform well are:
1. Students are motivated and hungry for good results
2. A large percentage actually have external help (if you know what I mean), I have taught tuition classes with all HCI students only and heard alot from them.

angwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zbear » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:14 pm

Can parents and students of JC2 - pls share is it easy to pass promo exams? What is promo criteria?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:35 pm

angwc wrote:
Actually HCI paper for Math isn't that tough for JC1. There are a few schools with papers that are actually more demanding such as ACJC, DHS.

In fact from MOE's point of view HCI students should be getting straight As or near straight As as they are taking in the top percentage of the students in terms of academic ability.

When I analyse different school's teaching materials, one thing I like about HCI's approach (for math) is that they drill alot on the fundamentals, their tutorial questions are not too many, of medium standard at most.

Finally from my point of view (according to my 2 friends teaching there) what makes HCI perform well are:
1. Students are motivated and hungry for good results
2. A large percentage actually have external help (if you know what I mean), I have taught tuition classes with all HCI students only and heard alot from them.

Yes, my gal has the same feedback as u...that ACJC Maths papers is the toughest...As for HCI, still doable for her...
When her sch, DHS, gave them the JC Maths papers for practices ...

angwc wrote:Hell is the same for all JC students as the A level curriculum is a big jump from O level due to the short time to learn, longer lesson hours and faster pace with significantly tougher content.

So true...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby esme38 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:19 pm

I will start first -

Zbear DS JC1

Any parent going for the subject combo talk tomorrow? Still undecided what to finalise.

esme38
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:08 am

esme38 wrote:

I will start first -

Zbear DS JC1

Any parent going for the subject combo talk tomorrow? Still undecided what to finalise.

I will not be going as DS is very sure what he wants. He has already submitted his combi.

But I will attend the Parent's Day on 19/2.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees