Food Science and Technology NUS open house

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Food Science and Technology NUS open house

Postby Vinny » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:52 pm

Anyone aware of the open house above? Need to sign up online. 24 & 25 Feb, from 3pm. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YHlGHj ... E/viewform

Although the sign up is set up for school, if interested, you can also sign up individually if the school is not organising any trip there. Teacher in charge - put "NIL".

This is for those interested to study in NUS Faculty of Science. FST is the primary major. You can find out more about the prospect of doing a degree in FST if you attend. Ask the lecturers at the FST open house directly.

Vinny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Food Science and Technology NUS open house

Postby Jennifer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:48 pm

What subjects must the student take at A levels in order to qualify for FST entry?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Jennifer wrote:What subjects must the student take at A levels in order to qualify for FST entry?

H2 Chem is a must...

"At least two science subjects and one of them has to be Chemistry
For those without H2-passes/ equivalent in Biology, they MUST take the bridging module LSM1301 General Biology in Semester1"

Subj are indeed interesting but i am concern of the easy availability of job positions in SG for Food n related industries... (Wont encourage my gal to follow my food- steps... :wink: )

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:08 am

Augmum wrote:
Jennifer wrote:What subjects must the student take at A levels in order to qualify for FST entry?

H2 Chem is a must...

For those without H2-passes/ equivalent in Biology, they MUST take the bridging module LSM1301 General Biology in Semester1"

Subj are indeed interesting but i am concern of the easy availability of job positions in SG for Food n related industries... (Wont encourage my gal to follow my food- steps... :wink: )

Augmum,

:thankyou:

ah boy is now interested in food preparation.

I do not like how closely related (or remotely related) is personal interest in food preparation to FST :oops:

He is in sec 3 now, taking 3 sciences. Told us he does not like or dislike any of the sciences at the moment. Just neutral feeling.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vinny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:21 am

Augmum wrote:Subj are indeed interesting but i am concern of the easy availability of job positions in SG for Food n related industries... (Wont encourage my gal to follow my food- steps... :wink: )

Job openings are as good or better than other science majors according to statistics. For now FST honours graduates are near to 100% employed within 6 month after graduation. They are not just employed by Food MNCs like Nestle, ingredient companies but also pharma companies. Some join SMEs and learn the trade before they start their own business or become consultants. There are also many who join AVA, HSA either in laboratories, administration to do with regulation and inspection. Depending on their interest, the job opportunities available are highly varied and will be available for a variety of different personalities.

Vinny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:15 am

Vinny wrote:
Augmum wrote:Subj are indeed interesting but i am concern of the easy availability of job positions in SG for Food n related industries... (Wont encourage my gal to follow my food- steps... :wink: )

Job openings are as good or better than other science majors according to statistics. For now FST honours graduates are near to 100% employed within 6 month after graduation. They are not just employed by Food MNCs like Nestle, ingredient companies but also pharma companies. Some join SMEs and learn the trade before they start their own business or become consultants. There are also many who join AVA, HSA either in laboratories, administration to do with regulation and inspection. Depending on their interest, the job opportunities available are highly varied and will be available for a variety of different personalities.

Suitable for people who cant sit at the desk and do paperwork?

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Vinny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Jennifer wrote:
Suitable for people who cant sit at the desk and do paperwork?

Can also work in the lab. E.g. new food products development. Trouble shooting. Conventional laboratory work etc.

Vinny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Vinny » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:42 pm

Food inspectors of course are out and about all the time.

Vinny
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Jennifer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:31 pm

Vinny,

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:06 am

Jennifer wrote:
Augmum wrote:

H2 Chem is a must...

Augmum,

ah boy is now interested in food preparation.

I do not like how closely related (or remotely related) is personal interest in food preparation to FST :oops:

He is in sec 3 now, taking 3 sciences. Told us he does not like or dislike any of the sciences at the moment. Just neutral feeling.

Oh i see...thot u are asking for yr elder boy...so is ah boy who is interested ...
Usually, more boys would take up Physics rather than Bio at JC level...
He is juz like my gal who was then feeling neutral with the 3 sciences...
It's good that he is taking 3 sciences now, so that he would able to select 2 out of the 3 sciences which he preferred more...

Well...when the time comes, let him see the modules offered in FST n attend the FST talk...
He'll know whether if he really has the interest in pursuing FST course or not...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees