NTU or SMU?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

NTU or SMU?

Postby Fairy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

If your dc were to be offered Double Degree in Biz and Accounting by both NTU and SMU, which would he choose and why? Hope to hear your opinions.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: NTU or SMU?

Postby pirated » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:46 pm

Ntu b acc is considered the standard bearer since the days it was transplanted from NUS

Can the smu b acc register as CPA ?

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:36 pm

pirated wrote:Ntu b acc is considered the standard bearer since the days it was transplanted from NUS

Can the smu b acc register as CPA ?

why not? Just need to work 3 years in Big 4 to get CPA SG, no?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:11 am

Oops...thot i juz saw a long post,..now it has disappeared ??? :?

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Augmum » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:28 am

Fairy wrote:If your dc were to be offered Double Degree in Biz and Accounting by both NTU and SMU, which would he choose and why? Hope to hear your opinions.

Is NTU very far away fr your house ? Will yr DS/ DD be staying or need to stay in the Hall ? If Yes, u'll need to find out more on the criteria regarding the subsequent yrs of the Hall allocation...Hearsay, very hard to meet the cut- of pts to secure the hall place...

One of the obvious adv is that NTU will take 1 yr shorter to graduate as compared to SMU...results in saving of 1 yr of fees... earning of 1 yr of salary, plus gaining the extra 1 yr of work experience as compared to the SMU grads ...

Also, the pedagogy of the 2 Uni is different...though NTU is also moving towards SMU 's seminar style lessons...but hearsay not so intensive n successful...

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Personally worked with couple of SMU grads and if I have a choice, would definitely choose SMU. Found them to be more well articulated and confident. My staff who came from those top schools throughout his school life told me that he is trained for that in SMU.

Yes, the accountancy degree can be used for ISCA membership.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Augmum » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:25 pm

SMU is very ON in reaching out to their potential students... :smile:
Attended their " SMU Discovery Day" in early this month...
Am surprise, this wk... received another " Tea Reception" letter from them...

Wonder do they / Unis keep track of offered students who still hv not clicked on the acceptance choice...

It's a tough decision which to choose...As each Uni has their pros n cons...
i feel ( at least for us) it's even tougher than selecting a sec sch yrs ago... :wink:
We hv already narrowed down fr 3 Unis offers to 2 ...
But, our pendulum is still swinging between the 2 Unis... :wink:

Oops, me not complaining hor... Happy Dilemma :smile:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:59 am

Augmum wrote:It's a tough decision which to choose...As each Uni has their pros n cons...
i feel ( at least for us) it's even tougher than selecting a sec sch yrs ago... :wink:
We hv already narrowed down fr 3 Unis offers to 2 ...
But, our pendulum is still swinging between the 2 Unis... :wink:

Oops, me not complaining hor... Happy Dilemma :smile:

When it gets to this stage, where the decision is so hard, then I think it really doesn't matter which you choose. Either will do. Just tell her (I think yours is a girl?) to throw a dart and be happy with whichever one she picks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Song22 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 am

Augmum wrote:
Fairy wrote:If your dc were to be offered Double Degree in Biz and Accounting by both NTU and SMU, which would he choose and why? Hope to hear your opinions.

Is NTU very far away fr your house ? Will yr DS/ DD be staying or need to stay in the Hall ? If Yes, u'll need to find out more on the criteria regarding the subsequent yrs of the Hall allocation...Hearsay, very hard to meet the cut- of pts to secure the hall place...

One of the obvious adv is that NTU will take 1 yr shorter to graduate as compared to SMU...results in saving of 1 yr of fees... earning of 1 yr of salary, plus gaining the extra 1 yr of work experience as compared to the SMU grads ...

Also, the pedagogy of the 2 Uni is different...though NTU is also moving towards SMU 's seminar style lessons...but hearsay not so intensive n successful...

This sounds so exciting Angmum, good luck! :rahrah:

Song22
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 am

I was from NTU BAcc many many moons ago!! (vested interest keke)....

I think to decide between the 2, you also need to look at curriculum offerings and who the professors (eg Ng Eng Juan) are which also make a difference. I agree SMU grads are more articulate but then what kind of career are you expecting your child to embark on initially? Like me, like 60% of the cohort, I went on to the Big 6 then and started everything from scratch. I would say NTU curriculum prepared me very well for the technical knowledge I needed to do my job well. The way how you present yourself or lead projects etc, can be trained along the way as you mature with your job. However, if you think your child is more suitable for consulting or corporate advisory kind of job, perhaps SMU is a better training ground.

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees