Scholarships - Pre-University

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Scholarships - Pre-University

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 am

Does anyone here have a child who is receiving an MOE Pre-U scholarship? I would like to know if there is any advantage of getting one of these other than the money? Does it help in any concrete way? Or is it just something to put down on the resume?

Also, if the student is in an independent school and already receiving the EESIS, does the scholarship pay the remaining school fees? The MOE website says that the school fee payment is capped at $2400 pa, but doesn't say whether it's in addition to EESIS or not.

I notice the amount of the award (other than the school fees component) hasn't increased in over 30 yrs! The predecessor of the Humanities Scholarship gave $1000 pa even in the early 80s!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Questions about MOE Pre-U scholarships

Postby dagong99 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:30 am

slmkhoo wrote:Does anyone here have a child who is receiving an MOE Pre-U scholarship? I would like to know if there is any advantage of getting one of these other than the money? Does it help in any concrete way? Or is it just something to put down on the resume?

Also, if the student is in an independent school and already receiving the EESIS, does the scholarship pay the remaining school fees? The MOE website says that the school fee payment is capped at $2400 pa, but doesn't say whether it's in addition to EESIS or not.

I notice the amount of the award (other than the school fees component) hasn't increased in over 30 yrs! The predecessor of the Humanities Scholarship gave $1000 pa even in the early 80s!

I do not have a child with Pre-U Scholarship but Upper-Sec Scholarships from DSO & A Star on top of EESIS (2 year tenure).

Besides the $$$, there are a few workshops or seminars that are compulsory whereby the scholars are exposed to research labs (some of which are strictly prohibited, e.g. DSO labs, probably because it's related to Defence) and materials and lectures and interactions with Scientists and professors from overseas. After which the scholars will receive a certificate of attendance which I think will be useful for future application for other scholarships. Another plus point is that there is no bond.

These 2 scholarships that I know are on top of EESIS and are paid in cash directly to your bank account.

The quantum is not big (I also think they should increase it, :evil: ) but I do think it's a good exposure for the kids and they have the opportunity to hands-on on real life situations. Good for their future career too. :wink:

Not too sure of how other scholarships work but hope this helps. :smile:

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BitterSweet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:08 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Does anyone here have a child who is receiving an MOE Pre-U scholarship? I would like to know if there is any advantage of getting one of these other than the money? Does it help in any concrete way? Or is it just something to put down on the resume?

Hi, I'm in JC1 now and I was awarded the MOE Pre-U scholarship earlier this year, and if my promo grades are good enough for MOE the scholarship will continue until next year.

I don't know how true this is, but the general feel is that this scholarship is a way for the government to start picking out potential people for the uni scholarships - especially since the people who apply for this scholarship tend to be focused, academically driven and good in CCA, community service, etc. (ie they have the correct attitude already). I would say it is a useful credential to have when applying for uni scholarships.

I was from an IP school in Y1-4 too, so EESIS already pays for two thirds of my school fees, but this scholarships pays for the rest now (which is less than $2400 because of EESIS). They pay you back the money you're paying for the school fees, and also give you an $700 (I think?) allowance, which is really nice of them.

The MOE pre-u scholarship is one of the few scholarships that isn't need-based and is 100% merit-based; that means that they don't take into account your family income, and it's completely based on how much you deserve it. So the monetary value isn't very high, because it's not meant to help students in need (there are many, many other scholarships out there for students who need financial help with school fees), it's meant to identify and reward students who have done well in academic and non-academic activities

BitterSweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BitterSweet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 pm

BitterSweet wrote:

Hi, I'm in JC1 now and I was awarded the MOE Pre-U scholarship earlier this year, and if my promo grades are good enough for MOE the scholarship will continue until next year.

I don't know how true this is, but the general feel is that this scholarship is a way for the government to start picking out potential people for the uni scholarships - especially since the people who apply for this scholarship tend to be focused, academically driven and good in CCA, community service, etc. (ie they have the correct attitude already). I would say it is a useful credential to have when applying for uni scholarships.

I was from an IP school in Y1-4 too, so EESIS already pays for two thirds of my school fees, but this scholarships pays for the rest now (which is less than $2400 because of EESIS). They pay you back the money you're paying for the school fees, and also give you an $700 (I think?) allowance, which is really nice of them.

The MOE pre-u scholarship is one of the few scholarships that isn't need-based and is 100% merit-based; that means that they don't take into account your family income, and it's completely based on how much you deserve it. So the monetary value isn't very high, because it's not meant to help students in need (there are many, many other scholarships out there for students who need financial help with school fees), it's meant to identify and reward students who have done well in academic and non-academic activities

also would like to add, any other people feel free to ask questions. When I was applying last year I was quite confused and there wasn't much useful info online or on kiasuparents, so I hope to be able to help some juniors :)

BitterSweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

1 people like this post

Postby dagong99 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:56 pm

BitterSweet wrote:
BitterSweet wrote:

also would like to add, any other people feel free to ask questions. When I was applying last year I was quite confused and there wasn't much useful info online or on kiasuparents, so I hope to be able to help some juniors :)

May I ask if the application is through the school or you have to apply yourself ? When is the scholarship open for application ? Do they ask for the number of CIP hours ? Do they require leadership position in CCA, eg Captain for sports, etc ? Is it awarded even if you happen to have other non moe scholarships on hand ? Thanks !

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:32 am

BitterSweet wrote:I was from an IP school in Y1-4 too, so EESIS already pays for two thirds of my school fees, but this scholarships pays for the rest now (which is less than $2400 because of EESIS). They pay you back the money you're paying for the school fees, and also give you an $700 (I think?) allowance, which is really nice of them.

Thanks, this is helpful. The fact that they will pay the rest of the school fees is attractive to us! That bumps up the value significantly - by another $1200 pa. My daughter is only Sec 3 now, so I was just asking out of curiosity. It will be something to bear in mind if she gets the grades to be eligible to apply.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BitterSweet » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:09 am

dagong99 wrote:
BitterSweet wrote:
BitterSweet wrote:

May I ask if the application is through the school or you have to apply yourself ? When is the scholarship open for application ? Do they ask for the number of CIP hours ? Do they require leadership position in CCA, eg Captain for sports, etc ? Is it awarded even if you happen to have other non moe scholarships on hand ? Thanks !

The school might publicise it (mine did), but you have to apply yourself through an online portal. The link is available online from the MOE website, and there's a LOT of things you need to fill in. For IP students, application is open from oct-nov I think, and for O level students, it'll be open after O-level results are released

I don't think they asked for CIP hours, but they asked for any achievements and community service you did, as well as leadership experience, etc. All I know is that you cannot get both Humanities scholarship and Pre-U scholarship at the same time, but I think I have friends who have A-star scholarship and still got the pre-U scholarship

It's not "required" that you have a leadership position. I think the interview matters a lot more, because I have friends whose grades were better than mine, and who were CCA leaders and national sportsmen, but didn't get the scholarship. imo the grades and achievements are just a sort of minimum criteria but it mostly depends on the interview and your personality and attitude

BitterSweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dagong99 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:06 pm

BitterSweet wrote:
dagong99 wrote:

The school might publicise it (mine did), but you have to apply yourself through an online portal. The link is available online from the MOE website, and there's a LOT of things you need to fill in. For IP students, application is open from oct-nov I think, and for O level students, it'll be open after O-level results are released

I don't think they asked for CIP hours, but they asked for any achievements and community service you did, as well as leadership experience, etc. All I know is that you cannot get both Humanities scholarship and Pre-U scholarship at the same time, but I think I have friends who have A-star scholarship and still got the pre-U scholarship

It's not "required" that you have a leadership position. I think the interview matters a lot more, because I have friends whose grades were better than mine, and who were CCA leaders and national sportsmen, but didn't get the scholarship. imo the grades and achievements are just a sort of minimum criteria but it mostly depends on the interview and your personality and attitude

Thanks a lot for sharing :smile:

May I confirm that the application is in Year 4 ? Do you compile the required documents yourself or the school helps you ? I remember for the 2 scholarships that DS1 applied, the school did everything for them including preparation of school results, certificates for all achievements, teachers' recommendation and testimonials, CCA and CIP records and the school liaised directly with A Star and DSO on the students behalf. All we need to do is to go for interviews. Wonder if the process for Pre-U scholarship is complicated for us to apply on our own. Thanks.

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BitterSweet » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 pm

dagong99 wrote:
BitterSweet wrote:
dagong99 wrote:

May I confirm that the application is in Year 4 ? Do you compile the required documents yourself or the school helps you ? I remember for the 2 scholarships that DS1 applied, the school did everything for them including preparation of school results, certificates for all achievements, teachers' recommendation and testimonials, CCA and CIP records and the school liaised directly with A Star and DSO on the students behalf. All we need to do is to go for interviews. Wonder if the process for Pre-U scholarship is complicated for us to apply on our own. Thanks.

application is in y4, but it's quite simple. you don't need to give proof of results or achievements, just submit your results and achievements through the online portal. I think MOE sends the applications to your IP school and asks for teachers to verify and recommend, then emails you for an interview if you're selected. They asked me to bring my Y4 end of year school cert and O level cert (for HMT) to the interview to check, but that's it.

BitterSweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dagong99 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 pm

BitterSweet wrote:
dagong99 wrote:
BitterSweet wrote:

application is in y4, but it's quite simple. you don't need to give proof of results or achievements, just submit your results and achievements through the online portal. I think MOE sends the applications to your IP school and asks for teachers to verify and recommend, then emails you for an interview if you're selected. They asked me to bring my Y4 end of year school cert and O level cert (for HMT) to the interview to check, but that's it.

:thankyou: You have been such a great help ! All the best to you :celebrate:

dagong99
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees