Employment rates for different poly courses?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Employment rates for different poly courses?

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:14 am

Does anyone know if there are statistics available about the employment rates for different poly courses? The more detailed, the better! Thanks!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Employment rates for different poly courses?

Postby Hope21 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:41 am

Found the following and hope it helps.
http://www.polyges.sg/downloads/GES2014PR.pdf
Hope21
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:27 am

Hope21 wrote:Found the following and hope it helps.
http://www.polyges.sg/downloads/GES2014PR.pdf

That's 2014.

Here's the latest.

http://www.polyges.sg/downloads/GES2015PR.pdf

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks, I've seen that one. I was hoping there was something more detailed? Like, for each course, how many get jobs in a relevant sector, how many had to change sectors, or take jobs that are temporary/PT/freelance etc? And a breakdown by individual poly and individual diploma course if possible? Any idea if that is available anywhere?

Also, although this is OT - which poly is most accommodating to those with learning disabilities (not physical disabilities)? Or any experience (good or bad) with a particular poly/course?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:46 am

I looked at the newspapers for job vacancies before I opted for my poly course decades ago. Old fashion. Then graduated, started working and found out the position is in demand because high turnover due to stressful and long hours.
Last edited by jedamum on Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:57 am

slmkhoo wrote:Thanks, I've seen that one. I was hoping there was something more detailed? Like, for each course, how many get jobs in a relevant sector, how many had to change sectors, or take jobs that are temporary/PT/freelance etc? And a breakdown by individual poly and individual diploma course if possible? Any idea if that is available anywhere?

Also, although this is OT - which poly is most accommodating to those with learning disabilities (not physical disabilities)? Or any experience (good or bad) with a particular poly/course?

Notes :
1) Polytechnics refer to Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP), Ngee Ann Polytechnic (NP), Republic Polytechnic (RP), Singapore Polytechnic (SP) and Temasek Polytechnic (TP).
2) Fresh graduates refer to those who had completed their studies in 2015, comprising mostly females who are not liable for National Service (NS) after graduation and males who defer NS for further studies.
3) Post-NS graduates refer to male graduates who had completed their studies in 2012 and their full-time NS between April 2014 and March 2015.
4) Employment Number refers to the actual number of employed persons who responded to the survey and indicated they were employed on a full-time permanent basis as at 1 October 2015.
5) Employment Proportion refers to the full-time permanently employed as a proportion of graduates who have entered the labour market as at 1 October 2015, approximately 6 months after completing their final examinations.

6) Full-time permanent employment refers to employment of at least 35 hours a week and where the employment is not temporary. It includes those on contracts of one year or more.
7) Gross monthly starting salary comprises the basic salary, fixed allowances, overtime pay and commissions. Bonuses are excluded.
8) s : Data have been suppressed because the number covered was too small.
http://stats.mom.gov.sg/Pages/Graduate-Starting-Salary-Tables2015.aspx

Special Education Needs (SEN) Unit

You can locate the details on the respective polys' websites (under "Special Education Needs" page). SP, NP, NYP, TP, RP all have support/financial grants for students with learning or physical disabilities. You can email or call on their counsellors during their office hours to find out more.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:05 pm

btw, I don't think polys or unis have the bandwidth to track/monitor whether graduates entered into sectors relevant to their diplomas/degrees, or whether they switched sectors/jobs after the stipulated post-grad/NS survey period.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks! Will have a closer look. I knew it was unlikely to get all the info I wanted, but this helps.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:13 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Also, although this is OT - which poly is most accommodating to those with learning disabilities (not physical disabilities)? Or any experience (good or bad) with a particular poly/course?

The polys do offer special needs support. A quick google search on "special needs support in polys" will lead you to the respective poly's site.

In general, most poly lecturers are fairly understanding. There are also student counsellors on campus but they tend to handle more BGR, family, relationship issues than sped or acad issues per se.

I know of two cases (in 2 different polys) where the students were wheel-chair bound. Polys gave whatever support they could even when one of the student was hospitalised for more than 2 weeks.

Because of mobility issues, the mothers of these 2 wheel-chair students were allowed to sit in class. What was very touching was, when one of the student (from this particular poly) graduated, the poly invited the mother to wheel her child on stage to receive her diploma during poly graduation. The poly felt that if not for the mother's love and support, the student could not have done it on her own. It was a very touching moment!! This student received a Diploma in IT.

In the other student's case (from the other poly), this student nominated a group of her close friends for some friendship-care award (can't recall the award title). This group of friends were her buddies and support group throughout her 3 years of studies. I think the award was organised by some govt agency (can't recall which agency). This student received a Diploma in Accountancy.

The polys tend to be more tolerant and understanding. Perhaps it's a modular system and the curriculum is spaced out over 3 years.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:23 am

schweppes wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Also, although this is OT - which poly is most accommodating to those with learning disabilities (not physical disabilities)? Or any experience (good or bad) with a particular poly/course?

The polys do offer special needs support. A quick google search on "special needs support in polys" will lead you to the respective poly's site.

In general, most poly lecturers are fairly understanding. There are also student counsellors on campus but they tend to handle more BGR, family, relationship issues than sped or acad issues per se.

Thanks. The 2 egs you give are with physical disabilities. While these people have a tough time, it is "easier" in a way because their need for assistance is obvious. Learning disabilities are "hidden" and often attract less understanding. And people will forget to make allowances after a while because the disabilities are not visible. Do you know of any encouraging cases of people with "invisible" learning disabilities and the help they might get?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees