Should I take SMU AP classes?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Should I take SMU AP classes?

Postby Serafinagrey » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:57 am

Context

SMU is re-launching the Advanced Placement Programme (AP) to excellent JC1 students to take up selected university-level subjects at Singapore Management University.

The primary objective of the advanced placement programme is to allow students to be immersed into SMU’s unique learning pedagogy. It is an excellent opportunity for students to experience and understand the full spectrum of a university undergraduate’s academic study at SMU.

The benefits of the Advanced Placement (AP) programme include:
• Opportunity to take university-level courses that will increase your knowledge and learning opportunities
• Opportunity to experience the famed SMU pedagogy of small class, seminar-styled teaching with action-learning and participation, as well as interaction with highly qualified, motivated and excellent professors
• Advanced standing (or exemptions) from these subjects in SMU with a minimum grade of B+, if your application for admission to SMU is successful
• AP is offered at no cost (excluding registration fee of $35)

For 2017, there are two courses:
· Understanding Societies by Professor Chung Wai Keung from SMU’s School of Social Sciences

The purpose of this introductory course is to provide students with a basic understanding of Sociology as a social science discipline. Sociology is the use of analytic and systematic way to study human society and human social behaviours. It enables us to identify the social forces external to individuals that could shape human behaviours and therefore the society. The course will go through the basic theoretical assumptions of the discipline and will use a few sub-areas of specialty in Sociology to illustrate the distinctive perspective of the discipline. Through this course, students will be exposed to a wide range of sociological concepts, theories, and social phenomena.

· Intercultural Communication by Professor Ong Siow Heng from SMU’s Lee Kong Chian School of Business

The course provides strategies on how to read a person’s culture as well as corporate culture. Features of culture such as individualism/collectivism, power distance, masculinity/femininity, and issues related to intercultural adaptation, ethnocentrism, prejudice, stereotyping and racism will be discussed. The aim of this course is to develop intercultural competencies, which will make social relationships and workplace practices more meaningful and significant.

This advanced placement programme is open to students with strong JC1 Promotional Examination results. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to manage their time between AP and their JC studies as the course schedule will run from January-April 2016 for a total of 13 weeks. Classes will be held on Saturdays (9.00 am – 12.15 pm) or Fridays (4.30 PM to 7.00PM) at SMU campus.

About me
- JC1 this year, did okay for Promotional Examinations (probably enough to qualify for the program.
- 2 questions which I have, especially directed at those who have taken such courses before:

1. How useful is the Sociology course if I primarily intend to go into International Relations but am also considering courses like Human, Social and Political Science?
2. How heavy exactly is the commitment needed? I have two independent studies to complete next year on top of being CCA exco but that's been manageable so far, so I was thinking I would either take this up or think about MOE H3 Lit (but the deadline for that is the same as the other independent studies so I'm a tad worried about that)

Thank you! And do get back to me ASAP >< because the deadline for application submission is next Wednesday.

Serafinagrey
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees