Dilemma in choosing a JC.

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Dilemma in choosing a JC.

Postby paranoidgirl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi everyone! I got my O level results yesterday and my L1R5 is 9 raw, 7 nett.

My dream school was always NYJC (science) but I didn't make the cut. AJC is very convenient to my house (a direct bus ride of 15 mins) and I do meet the cut-off. I do have a direct bus to NY too, but the bus stop is a few minutes walk from the school.

I'm not sure if I should put NY as my first choice or AJ. If I put NY as first and AJ as second, and if both reject me, logically I'd appeal to AJ as the new cut would definitely be nearer. But I'm afraid that they would not consider my appeal, as they give priority to those who placed the school as their first choice.

But if I put AJ as first choice and if NY really drops to 7 points I'll hate myself forever lol. Highly unlikely though. I spoke to a NY tutor just now and she said last year they had 5,000 applicants to NY and they only accepted 600. And I'm sure there'll be more this year with all the hype and advertising done for the sch :/

So pls do give me your advice/what you'd do if you were in my predicament!!! And perhaps let me know a little more about the culture of the sch/performance at A levels?

I know AJ is very run down but that doesn't bother me. We go to school to study anyway, not for aesthetics.

Thank you in advance!!

paranoidgirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Dilemma in choosing a JC.

Postby mindays » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Hello, congratulations on your superb results and I am sorry if this has been a late reply. Having a 7 nett IMO will be safe for AJC's Science. Though it is tough to get into NY's Science, you stand a chance if you put NY (science) as the first choice. There's no harm, because 7 nett can easily get yourself a place in AJC. All the best!

mindays
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees