Child leaving for overseas studies, how do you cope?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
hercules
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:50

Re: Child leaving for overseas studies, how do you cope?

Post by hercules » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:46 pm

I highly recommend this (two-in-one filtered electric kettle to save space and time):

I even got my kid to bring back for my own use (I tried finding this in Spore but don't seem to be able to find).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:237

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am

I lived in the UK in places where the water was harder than London, and didn't bother with filters. You get used to it. I just made sure I always had vinegar handy for descaling the kettle periodically. When I was pregnant, my midwife told me to drink tap water for the calcium!

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Post by Jennifer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 am

Does your child give up his Sg mobile phone subscription when going overseas for studies?

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pinky » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi Jeannifer, yes he did.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:121

Post by Jennifer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:27 pm

pinky wrote:Hi Jeannifer, yes he did.
possible to keep the existing number without subscription?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:237

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:12 am

Jennifer wrote:
pinky wrote:Hi Jeannifer, yes he did.
possible to keep the existing number without subscription?
I see that some people use another no. (not their current no.) for their Whatsapp account. Not sure if that means they keep that subscription alive.

If your child is currently on a prepaid plan, it won't cost too much to keep that going while he is overseas by doing the minimum topup every 6 mths. But it's not possible to change from postpaid to prepaid, so if he's on postpaid and you want to keep the no., you will have to pay subscription, I believe.

lego
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by lego » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 am

I believe both my niece and nephew are still keeping their sg mobile no (paid subscription) as our family group chat shows their 'old' hp no when they are back in Singapore during the school break.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Fairy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 am

pinky wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies n advice. I am relieved to know that he enjoys the course though study load is heavy. I am adjusting my life slowly with volunteer work n spending more time with my siblings n friends.
Hi Pinky,
How are you coping? Hope you have gotten out of your depression and adjusted to your new life. Take care.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:90

Post by Estéema » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:34 am

lego wrote:I believe both my niece and nephew are still keeping their sg mobile no (paid subscription) as our family group chat shows their 'old' hp no when they are back in Singapore during the school break.

Cld it be the imei number that's linking the chat grp & keep it going?

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pinky » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 am

Hi Fairy
Thanks for your concern. I am better now but still on medication though the dosage has been reduced by my psychiatrist. I am also undergoing counseling and I attend group therapy sessions also.
I was told that medication will take at least 6 months to see the effects so I was advised not to stop unless I was instructed by my psychiatrist.
Thank you.