Allowance for Poly student

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Allowance for Poly student

Postby justsay » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi parents,

How much allowance do you give for poly student ? TIA. :celebrate:

justsay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:58 am

My brother used to get $300/mth, including bus fare. Half the allowance during holidays.

My sis will be starting poly soon and they've agreed on $300/mth, including bus fare. Holidays will be the same allowance because my sister is rather active in church activities and during holidays she usually has the responsibility of planning outings and camps. So she needs to travel out of the house more often.

I was on scholarship during poly days and my allowance from the scholarship was $800/month. I only used around $300, including once a week movies plus dinner at nice restaurant with bf (now hb) - we took turns for pay for our dates.

Average meal at poly is around $3-5. I had 2-3 meals a day at poly. Plus we snacked when there's break (still growing, very hungry all the time).
Best to sit down with your child to work how much is needed. If it's the first time giving allowance monthly or such a large sum, try to start off giving once a week instead. Else got no self-control!

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby justsay » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Insider & Mrs Wongtuition,

Thanks for sharing, is indeed useful guide for me. Judging from your posts, I guessed around $200 for meals should be more than sufficient. Another $100 for movies, stationeries, buying some dresses and other activities etc.... So all in $300 plus another MRT concession $43 should be about right.

Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.
I remembered I love the cheap and good chicken chop during my time long long ago, when police wear shorts :wink: . I used to get only $20 per week then and that include everything except bus stamp.

justsay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby dolphinsiah » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:21 am

justsay wrote:Hi Insider & Mrs Wongtuition,

Thanks for sharing, is indeed useful guide for me. Judging from your posts, I guessed around $200 for meals should be more than sufficient. Another $100 for movies, stationeries, buying some dresses and other activities etc.... So all in $300 plus another MRT concession $43 should be about right.

Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.
I remembered I love the cheap and good chicken chop during my time long long ago, when police wear shorts :wink: . I used to get only $20 per week then and that include everything except bus stamp.

Nowadays, kids are so lucky....I remember when I was in Poly....
My parents only paid my tuition fees...

I had to work Part Time giving tuition and working in the factory during school holidays.

Had to save as much money for my own allowances...

But I learned the value of money during this time :sweat:

Now I wonder whether I can use the same method for my teen... :idea:

But my teen very busy even during school holidays....

dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:06 am

does the allowance inclusive of mobile phone & its bills, books & stationaries, clothes, bags etc?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby justsay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:08 pm

tankee wrote:does the allowance inclusive of mobile phone & its bills, books & stationaries, clothes, bags etc?

I am paying for mobile phone bills, but I make them pay if the bills exceed the basic subscription. Unless they need to buy some additional stuff that cost more, I'll pay for it. Otherwise the allowance I give includes buying stationeries, clothes, movies etc.

justsay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:31 pm

justsay wrote:Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.

Yes yes, I had $20 per week then excluding bus stamp. And perhaps we were from same poly, I liked the chicken chop too, BS Canteen (Canteen 3). Big and lots of gravy.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby justsay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm

dolphinsiah wrote:Nowadays, kids are so lucky....I remember when I was in Poly....
My parents only paid my tuition fees...

I had to work Part Time giving tuition and working in the factory during school holidays.

Had to save as much money for my own allowances...

But I learned the value of money during this time :sweat:

Now I wonder whether I can use the same method for my teen... :idea:

But my teen very busy even during school holidays....

I got $20 but have to pay my own tuition fees. :( Ya lor, kids are so fortunate nowadays. They need to do only 1 thing, i.e focus on their studies...unlike our time.

justsay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby justsay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

caroline3sg wrote:
justsay wrote:Wow, which poly is that selling cheap and nice fruit juice huh ? haha.

Yes yes, I had $20 per week then excluding bus stamp. And perhaps we were from same poly, I liked the chicken chop too, BS Canteen (Canteen 3). Big and lots of gravy.

Yes yes yes BS canteen. Who knows, perhaps we were even from same class :wink: :boogie:

justsay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees