GCE A level result 2018 @ 23th Feb 2018

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
wiimum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: GCE A level result 2018 @ 23th Feb 2018

Post by wiimum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm

My view is if you are able to get hold of one of those no bond scholarship, that would be ideal. But I believe probably quite challenging to get one, need to be fairly outstanding both in academic as well as in CCAs.

nick12W
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by nick12W » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:52 pm

wiimum wrote:My view is if you are able to get hold of one of those no bond scholarship, that would be ideal. But I believe probably quite challenging to get one, need to be fairly outstanding both in academic as well as in CCAs.
Not many at the undergrad level though

wiimum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by wiimum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:29 pm

nick12W wrote: Not many at the undergrad level though
I don't have the latest number but I have seen reports that in 2009 NUS gave out 800 scholarships in 2009; and this increased to 1650 in the year 2013. I don't think this is small in number.
NTU is probably giving out comparable numbers to attract good students.. And these scholarships are with no bond.

kwcllf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:11

Post by kwcllf » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:09 am

zeemimi wrote:
nick12W wrote: PCME, studying finance...
Our country's going downhill so better equip kid with a degree from renowned university overseas which offers him/her some flexibility in getting decent jobs overseas. That's the best parents can do for kids to secure their future.
Duh ... you make those parents who have no means to send their kids overseas look like they are not doing their best. Not everyone has the financial capacity like you do.
nick12W,

Congrats to your kid for the excellent results.

However, I feel it's inappropriate to run down our local universities. In fact, our local universities have been rising up the University Rankings, and many, if not most of their programmes, offer undergraduates a chance for overseas attachment. In fact, some of their programmes are tied to a prestigious overseas university and they will graduate with 2 degrees.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:21 pm

iFirefly
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:100

Post by iFirefly » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Not applicable for Medicine and Law

Passion for a field of study will count for admission to the National University of Singapore (NUS) from this year.

Those applying for a place at NUS will be given 1.25 bonus points for their first choice - equivalent to going from C to B or B to A in an A-level H1 subject.

This applies only to courses where entry is based purely on converting a student's grades into points, and not to courses such as medicine and law where students are assessed on their aptitude and interests through interviews.

:
:

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/e ... ce-courses

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:108

Post by jtoh » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:26 pm

iFirefly wrote:Not applicable for Medicine and Law

Passion for a field of study will count for admission to the National University of Singapore (NUS) from this year.

Those applying for a place at NUS will be given 1.25 bonus points for their first choice - equivalent to going from C to B or B to A in an A-level H1 subject.

This applies only to courses where entry is based purely on converting a student's grades into points, and not to courses such as medicine and law where students are assessed on their aptitude and interests through interviews.

:
:

I wonder how useful this will be because wouldn't everyone put their most favoured course as first choice? And so everyone just applies with the extra 1.25 each, and hence no real difference bec everyone's UAS has increased by 1.25? Although I guess it discourages people from trying for first choice courses which they stand very little chance in.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:240

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:43 pm

jtoh wrote:
iFirefly wrote:Not applicable for Medicine and Law

:
:

I wonder how useful this will be because wouldn't everyone put their most favoured course as first choice? And so everyone just applies with the extra 1.25 each, and hence no real difference bec everyone's UAS has increased by 1.25? Although I guess it discourages people from trying for first choice courses which they stand very little chance in.
It may hep those who think they can't make it into their favoured course, but may be encouraged to try now. But I think it's more psychological than anything - to encourage students to think about they really want, not just what they can get into.

mum_sugoku
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by mum_sugoku » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:56 pm

So, for NUS applicant with perfect score of 90, does it mean that his score would be deemed as 91.25 for first-choice course?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:240

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:27 pm

mum_sugoku wrote:So, for NUS applicant with perfect score of 90, does it mean that his score would be deemed as 91.25 for first-choice course?
I suppose so, but for 90, does it make a difference? And only for courses that don't have interviews, aptitude tests etc.