Networking Group - Temasek JC

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
knowledge321
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by knowledge321 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:47 pm

my dd is applying both TJC IP and VJC IP.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:56 pm

knowledge321 wrote:my dd is applying both TJC IP and VJC IP.

Do you have the closing dates for application to the 2 JCs? A friend is interested in applying for her Sec 2 girl too.

Thanks for your help.

knowledge321
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by knowledge321 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:56 pm

the closing dates are vjc:8 May 2010, 14 May 2010. You can go to their websites for information.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:35 pm

knowledge321 wrote:the closing dates are vjc:8 May 2010, 14 May 2010. You can go to their websites for information.

Thanks, will let my friend know.

DanceGal123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Any parent whose kids in Temasek JC Year 3 IP Programme

Post by DanceGal123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:01 am

VeryKiasu2010, I have sent u a pm... pls reply soon... BTW if anyone knows about more info for the aptitude test qns, pls tell me more...
TIA:)

jame12
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Can this score get into TJC?

Post by jame12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:00 pm

Hi
My son obtained raw score of 10 and net score of 6 for 'o' levels. With this score, do you think he will be able to get into TJC science stream?

The booklet listed TJC cutoff as 6 points. So, will everyone who applies with this point get in?

Is anyone familiar with TJC to comment about its culture, teaching standard, emphasis on independant learning or not, chances of doing well in A levels?

How does it compare with other JCs in the east?

Thanks.

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Can this score get into TJC?

Post by tkbd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:37 pm

Your child's may or may not get in since his score is very marginal. Because the current cut-off point is based on 2011's JAE. It depends on whether TJC has been improving in the past year. If yes, the COP may go further down to 5 and he can't enter. If it remains at 6, your child has a high chance of entering, though there's a chance too that he'll be disappointed - if it happens most who applied for the school this year got below 6 then they'll get priority.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by 365psych » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Science stream teaching and faculty in most JC's is pretty much the same. And MANY students who have done well in O Levels, continue to get tuition despite being in top or bottom ranked schools. Apply based on distance, then whittle it down to preference. TJC is OK la, but you might want to consider TPJC. Good faculty!

JanePang
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by JanePang » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Jamie,

I think TJC is a very good college (definitely better than TPJC in my opinion, sorry 365psych)! The Science department owns two copyrights - THINKCycle (pedagogy for their IP), and also a card game called SynTactic which is used to teach organic Chemistry I think. I heard this card game is also used in Science classes in other JCs. Definitely a strong teaching team.

TJC is well-known for their caring culture and dedicated tutors. Their A level results has been consistently excellent - I remember they appeared on the frontpage of Straits Times last year, and one of the six top scorers in Singapore was from TJC.

I hope he gets into TJC! Good luck!

crystalskyes
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by crystalskyes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 pm

There is a chance he might/might not.
Sometimes, their cut-off point go to a partial 6.
Meaning, only some with a net aggregate of 6 pts get in.
This is advantageous to your child as his net aggregate of 6 is aided by his 4 bonus pts (probably from HCL and CCA grade).
Eg. A student with net aggregate of 8-2=6 is worse off than a student with net aggregate of 10-4=6.
Basically, if 2 students get the same net aggregate, the distinguishing factor would be their number of bonus points.

I have to mention this but I am pretty sure I will get into TJC becoz my net aggregate score is 5. That is well below the required net score of 6 to get into Science stream.