Networking Group - Millennia Institute (MI)

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Babyfoxynn
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Millennia Institute

Post by Babyfoxynn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Hello! Anyone in/was in MI and took the commerce stream? I would like to know more about Management of Business and how it’s like. I can’t find much information about it online.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:205

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Babyfoxynn wrote:Hello! Anyone in/was in MI and took the commerce stream? I would like to know more about Management of Business and how it’s like. I can’t find much information about it online.
My daughter took MOB in MI in 2016. What do you want to know? The official syllabus is here:
https://www.seab.gov.sg/docs/default-so ... 6_2018.pdf

Babyfoxynn
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Babyfoxynn » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:17 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Babyfoxynn wrote:Hello! Anyone in/was in MI and took the commerce stream? I would like to know more about Management of Business and how it’s like. I can’t find much information about it online.
My daughter took MOB in MI in 2016. What do you want to know? The official syllabus is here:
https://www.seab.gov.sg/docs/default-so ... 6_2018.pdf
How is the exam paper like and do you still happen to have any notes/papers left? The bookshops doesn’t seem to sell any books nor past year papers on this subject and I have checked MI’s portal and it states that the school is the only school that has this subject along with POA. May I know what your daughter’s combi is?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:205

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Sorry, no more notes etc. She took her A levels in 2016. Yes, MI is the only school which offers MOB. I think most students who are interested in Commerce/Business at this level tend to go to polys now rather than take A levels.

My daughter was in Arts stream (H2-Lit, Geog, MOB; H1-Maths), and took MOB as her 3rd H2 because she didn't want to take Econs, which would have been the more usual choice. Commerce stream students usually take H2-MOB, Accounts, Econs; H1-Maths.

There are 2 papers, with a case study/data response in each, some short questions, and one essay in Paper 2.

There are too few students for publishers to print the 10-yr series, but the teachers will give sample papers for practice. The recommended textbook was:
P Stimpson and A Farquharson, Cambridge International AS & A Level Business Studies Coursebook, 2nd edition, 2010, Cambridge University Press, ISBN 9780521126564.
I think they specially ordered the books for the students. If you look at the SEAB document I linked to earlier, there is more info, and a list of resources at the end.

Hope this helps.

donutduckthis
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by donutduckthis » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:43 am

I graduated from MI a couple of years back. You don't have to be in the commerce stream to take Management of Business! MI allows Arts students to take MOB as well.
My combination was H2 History, English Literature and MOB + H1 Science (H1 Math is now compulsory for ARTS Stream)

MOB is relatively straightforward. All lessons are taught in the classroom and you will be asked to buy summarised notes prepared by the tutors (teachers) from the bookshop. Each stack of notes (per topic) ranges from $0.50 to $1.50. On top of that, they will make you buy the textbook which was about $50 when I bought mine, however the textbook was never used in class or by the tutors at all. I would still recommend you to buy it because there are practices in the textbook (very hard to find elsewhere, seeing that MI is the only A level school that offers MOB) which helped me a lot for my A levels. The textbook will also include terms that are properly defined backed with good examples to use for your essays (which the summarised notes severely lacks).

In regards to what the subject/lessons are like: I had 2 different tutors that taught me throughout my 3 years in MI. Their styles are pretty similar, but basically if you want to take MOB, prepare to write quite a bit, which many students did not expect when they first entered. The simple calculations will only come in during the year 3 topics. I'm horrible at math but I found the calculations in MOB very manageable. Honestly, MOB felt more like an ARTS subject to me than a commerce subject, most of it is very much theory since it is after all focused on the management side of businesses rather than purely accounting and finance. There, you will have to be prepared to write short and long essays for the A Level exam which is 2 papers, 3 hours each. I no longer have my exam papers but I did keep some of my notes, you can PM me if you're interested!

Overall, the subject itself was pretty interesting to me. We got to do a business case study project work in Year 1 and a lot of the teaching was done in the classroom through group discussions and interactive slides. (but it really depends on your tutor!)

I hope this was helpful. Cheers!

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by kiasimom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:36 pm

shdhauwhavsgs wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:My daughter studied Arts in MI, graduating in 2016. She is now in NTU. All the reasons you give for favouring MI are valid ones, I feel. It's true that the entry rate to local universities can't compare with the top JCs, but at around 30%, it's similar to some JCs. The extra year is great boon to those who don't like the fast pace and cramming of the JC course. There are some students (not sure how many) who do make it to NUS Law; not many, but it's not impossible. And you can always go to poly after your A levels if you decide that university is not for you, or you find that there is a poly course that you really are interested in.

The whole idea of "wasting" time is something that the older generation of Singaporeans get stuck in. I suppose in the days when getting a job early to support the family was crucial, and people had shorter careers, it was a valid concern. But if your family doesn't require your income so soon, what's another year, or even a few more years? And you are supposed to work till at least 67 now! I think it's better to go slowly and achieve more than rush and achieve less. I believe that my daughter would not have got the same results had she tried to do A levels in 2 yrs, so we are very glad we decided on MI.
thanks so much for the input! i have placed MI Arts as one of my top choices and this has allowed me to be assured that i have made the right decision :) thank you again !
Hello :wink:
Did you manage to get into MI last year?