Polytechnic courses

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Polytechnic courses

Postby blesspring » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi,

What are the Polytechnics courses that have very stringent requirements whereby only the top students can get in ?

blesspring
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Polytechnic courses

Postby schweppes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:09 pm

blesspring wrote:Hi,

What are the Polytechnics courses that have very stringent requirements whereby only the top students can get in ?

By "stringent requirements", I take it that u mean lower cut off points? Getting a place in the poly is becoming more competitive.

Some of the popular courses are usually Accountancy, Banking & Finance, Mass Communication, Life Sciences, Bio or Chemical Engineering. The popularity and competitiveness of the course also differs from poly to poly.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby schellen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Back when I was still a student considering my tertiary education options, Mass Comm was already in high demand, and at that time, poly education wasn't even that popular. I heard rumours then that even if your results can get you into Mass Comm, you may still have to go for an interview. Dunno if it was true back then, and if yes, whether it still holds true now.

P.S. Naturally, in order to aim for Mass Comm, one must score well in English.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 pm

schellen wrote:Back when I was still a student considering my tertiary education options, Mass Comm was already in high demand, and at that time, poly education wasn't even that popular. I heard rumours then that even if your results can get you into Mass Comm, you may still have to go for an interview. Dunno if it was true back then, and if yes, whether it still holds true now.

P.S. Naturally, in order to aim for Mass Comm, one must score well in English.

If not mistaken, for Mass Comm courses, i think the students who qualify grades wise will first be shorlisted for an interview. The interview aims to find out if the students are confident, articulate and have a positive work attitude. So, even if one has fantastic grades, but is unable to express himself clearly, the candidate will not be accepted into the prog. :lol:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby autumnbronze » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:49 am

Schweppes :imcool:

*Phee-u-weet*

Its abt time sista.

Welcome to the club ...

LUUUUUURVE your avatar :celebrate:

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Kafer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:15 am

If the same poly courses (chemical engineering) r offered by NP, SP & TP. We placed 1st choice as SP as SP has the lowest cut iff point. If the child did not get into SP will he/she be allocated ti NP or TP instead? Although his 2nd choicr for course may be mass comms instead?

I m kinda lost with the JAE poly application. Can someine advise?

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Kafer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:15 am

If the same poly courses (chemical engineering) r offered by NP, SP & TP. We placed 1st choice as SP as SP has the lowest cut iff point. If the child did not get into SP will he/she be allocated ti NP or TP instead? Although his 2nd choicr for course may be mass comms instead?

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Kafer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:16 am

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schweppes » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Kafer wrote:If the same poly courses (chemical engineering) r offered by NP, SP & TP. We placed 1st choice as SP as SP has the lowest cut iff point. If the child did not get into SP will he/she be allocated ti NP or TP instead? Although his 2nd choicr for course may be mass comms instead?

If the student puts SP Chem Eng as 1st choice, but can't get in, the system looks at your indicated 2nd choice, say, NP mass comm. If the L1R2B2 meets the minimum requirement for NP mass comm, then will be admitted. But if fail to meet the COP, then will look into your 3rd choice and so forth.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby starlight1968sg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:59 pm

Heard one of the polys offer a course related to aviation? May I ask which poly? Tks.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees