Anyone interested in learning a powerful technique ?

Have an event you want to alert our community? Post it here. Threads without any new posts for more than 60 days will be removed without notice.
Forum rules The Happenings Forum is intended for parents to alert other parents of events that may be interesting to the community. Service providers are NOT allowed to start threads here. If you are a service provider, please post announcements of your offerings in the Buy & Sell Forums, and NOT in this Forum. Thank you.

Anyone interested in learning a powerful technique ?

Postby cimman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 am

after going through numerous problems over here in this forum, I've consolidated a few different types of transfer problems and came up with a single technique to solve all of them, at least those that I've encountered.
However, this involves the use of algebra and simultaneous equations.
For parents who's comfortable with equations and who's willing to let their children dabble in this area, this will be an ideal technique for them to solve Transfer problems. By Transfer problems, I mean, those that have something removed or added. It doesn't have to be from one person to another.
I am willing to teach this technique to parents and students who are interested.

I think it will help those students who are struggling to cope with multiple hueristics and replace those heursistics with a single technique. My child always complains that there are too many heuristics to remember and this was somthing I had to come up with to help him cope. This technique is very simple. The student just focuses on understanding the problem statement and what the fractions, ratio stated in the problem statement represents. The actual solving of the problem will be done by the technique. So the actual problem resolution process, consists of 2 layers, a higher layer of understanding of the problem statement, followed by a lower layer of resolution of the problem, a very mechanical process, no higher order thinking is required here.

If there is a demand for learning this technique, I will provide the teaching service, I need some volunteers to provide the location and facilities (just a simple board will do). If there's a projector it would be ideal.
I'm not charging anything for this. Just something to share with fellow parents on their journey to give their children an easier time with their education.
I will estimate this will take about 3 hours for a single session. It will also be a good opportunity for parents to get together to share their experiences and exchange notes on the primary school education journey. I see this as a collaboration event, maybe someone else can chip in and organize a makan session as well. We can all pay for the makan. :)

As long as someone can take care of the logistics, I will conduct this session if there are at least 2 parents who are interested. Please register your interest by responding to this thread.

I'm trying to start this before CA1 (somewhere in mid March) , so that it will give students a headstart for resolving this type of problems.

Parents who feel that their children should not be involved in simultaneous equations or algebra, then this may not be suitable for you. At the very least, parents should be comfortable with their children learning equations. As simultaneous equations can involve large numbers, a calculator is needed. So this is more for the P5, P6 level. However, lower Pri level parents are always welcomed to join with an open mind. Don't worry too much about simultaneous equations, I will teach a simple way to resolve them. If you have solved Unchanged Total/Difference type problems using Unit Transfer method, you would know how to solve simultaneous equations. It involves making the Units the same through the LCM (least common multiple) method.

Many thanks to Tianzhu and MathIzzFun for contributing the answers to the various questions posed in this forum. While I've not used their techniques, I've learnt a lot from them in their problem resolutions and from it, came up with this technique. This would not have been possible without their contributions.

here are the type of problems that can be resolved through this single technique. All the questions are obtained from this forum's Q&A section.

Karen and David had $127 altogether. Karen spent 1/3 of her money on a toy and David spent 3/5 of his money on food. If David spent $9 more than Karen, how much money did Karen have at first ? Ans: $72

There were 4 times as many boys as girls at a party at first. After 20 boys
went home and 16 more girls joined in, there were 6 more boys than girls remaining at the party.
a) How many boys were there at the party at first? (56)
b) How many children attended the party? (70)

Mrs Chia baked 120 beef pies and chicken pies. After she gave away 1/4 of the beef pies and 2/5 of the chicken pies, she was left with 30 beef pies. How many chicken pies had she left? Ans: 48

Hansel and Gretel had 720 sweets. Hansel gave 1/7 of his sweets to Gretel. In return, Gretel gave 1/6 of her sweets to Hansel. In the end they had an equal number of sweets each. How many sweets did Hansel have at first ? Ans: 336

A bus left the interchange with some passengers. At the first stop at P, 4/7 of the passengers got off while 20 got on the bus. At the next stop at Q, 35 passengers got off and 2 got on the bus. When the bus left Q, the number of passengers on board was 1/4 of the number when it left P. How many passengers were there when the bus left the interchange? (56)

Mr Lim has some pens to distribute to the pupils in Primary 6Z. If he gives each pupil 5 pens, he will have 3 pens left. If he gives each pupil 7 pens, he will need another 25 pens.
(a). How many pupils are there in Primary 6Z?
(b). How many pens does he have in his bag?

Tom and Tim have some money each. If Tom gives Tim $16, both of them will have the same amount of money. If Tim gives Tom $9, the ratio of the amount of money Tom has to the amount of money Tim has will be 6:1. How much do the two boys have in all ? ($70)

If I buy 3 skirts and 4 blouses, I will have $4.50 left. If I buy 4 skirts and 3 blouses, I will have $3.50 left. Given that a blouse costs $6, find the amount of money I have.

Mrs Tan made a jar of cookies in the morning. Out of the 2/7, which she took out, 18 were given away and the remaining 52 cookies were eaten by her children. In the evening , she made another lot of cookies and she put 1/3 of them into the same jar as those made in the morning. After this, the total number of cookies in the jar was 204. How many cookies did she make in the evening?

Jane had some rubber bands. 60% of her rubber bands were yellow and the rest were red. She kept 41 yellow rubber bands and 31 red rubber bands and gave the rest to Sam. Sam divided the rubber bands into group of 8. In each group of 8 rubber bands, there were 5 yellow rubber bands. How many rubber bands did Jane have at first? Ans: 160

Sally, Yiling and Ali shared a bag of beads. Sally received 3/4 of the bag of beads and of a 3/4 bead. Yiling received 3/4 of the remaining bag of beads and 3/4 of a bead. Ali received the last bead in the bag. How many beads did Sally receive ? Ans: 24

Kelly and Susan had some money each. If Kelly spent $100 each day and Susan spent $50 each day, Kelly will still have $500 left when Susan had spent all her money. If Kelly spent $50 each day and Susan spent $100 each day, Kelly will still have $2300 left when Susan had spent all her money. How much did each of them have? Ans: Kelly: $2900, Susan $1200

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Anyone interested in learning a powerful technique ?

Postby mother777 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:12 am

Hi cimman,

I am always interested in learning something new...so do count me in :)

Thank you so much for trying to share your knowledge with all the parents in KSP forum!

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Kafer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Cimman,

It is possible to post yr powerful technique online?
May be we can see understand the technique by reading yr solution.

Cheers!

Kafer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:58 pm

cimman,
i am interested.
March will be good. i'll send my math tutor (aka my husband :sweat:) down for the talk if you are conducting any :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby cimman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:57 pm

good to know that there's an interest in this area.
If anyone wants to give a suggestion on the venue, I'm open to suggestions.
For the curious who wants to know what this is all about, I'll draw something out and post it later. However, a diagram can only show so much. Hard to show abstract concepts through diagrams alone.

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cimman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:09 pm

jedamum wrote:cimman,
i am interested.
March will be good. i'll send my math tutor (aka my husband :sweat:) down for the talk if you are conducting any :)

you should come too, it's really simple. Everyone can understand it. :)

cimman
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Summer70 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I am keen.
Keep me posted via SMS at 9 777 8 12 4.
Thx!

Summer70
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby csb » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Me too. Thanks!

csb
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jade » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Me too! Thanks so much, Cinman, for the offer!

Jade
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:35 pm

cimman wrote:
jedamum wrote:cimman,
i am interested.

you should come too, it's really simple. Everyone can understand it. :)

so if i can understand, my boy can understand? lol. :)
will try to attend too (since FOC ah! lol! :laugh: ). make it a paktor date with my husband? :laugh:
thanks in advance! :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Happenings