Netflix to launch in Singapore in early 2016

This is the KiasuParents' Playground. If you wish to start some forum-based games, you're most welcome to create them in here! All discussions about music and movies will be kept in this Forum too.

Netflix to launch in Singapore in early 2016

Postby tankee » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:04 pm

SINGAPORE: Internet television network Netflix will launch in Singapore in early 2016, it said in a statement on Wednesday (Sep 9).

Once launched, internet users in Singapore will be able to subscribe to Netflix and instantly watch a curated selection of popular TV shows and movies on nearly any internet-connected screen.

"As the central hub in Southeast Asia, Singapore is a sophisticated and diverse place that will find much to love about the Netflix service," said Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. "The combination of increasing internet speeds and availability of smart phones and TVs will provide consumers with the anytime, anywhere ability to enjoy their favourite movies and TV shows on Netflix."

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/ent ... 14150.html

tankee
Site Admin

Re: Netflix to launch in Singapore in early 2016

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:21 pm

I was on netflix two years back but their movies were really old then. Have they improved since? There's also a report recently that they are no longer working with one of their suppliers and even more movies are going to disappear from their catalog.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby autumnbronze » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:44 pm

No, I don't think there has been any improvement as of a few months back.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Basic $10.98

Standard $13.98

Premium $16.98

Price after free month ends on 7/2/16

tankee
Site Admin

Postby tankee » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:28 pm

SINGAPORE: R21+ content, the highest rating category on Netflix, will be hidden behind a PIN number, a spokesperson for the streaming service revealed on Thursday (Jan 7). This includes shows such as Netflix's own Orange Is The New Black.

In response to queries from Channel NewsAsia, following the launch of Netflix in more than 130 countries, the spokesperson said that some content on its service will be locked behind a PIN "in certain markets where such a practice is expected by our members or required by applicable law".

"As mentioned previously, we remain sensitive to preferences of members where we operate. Netflix will continue to make market-specific decisions based on the preferences of our members," said the spokesperson.

As of right now, some shows may not yet be available to Singapore viewers. Netflix had previously said it was working with the Media Development Authority (MDA) to ensure content shown was within broadcasting regulations. A Netflix spokesperson declined to reveal the progress of its talks with MDA, saying it "will handle content classification on a case-by-case basis".

The spokesperson also declined to reveal the number of titles available for the Singapore market due to a constantly "expanding and changing" catalogue, but promised more content to come.

"After we launch in a given market, we will almost immediately add more content to the service and in most markets the size of the catalogue doubles in the first year," said the spokesperson.

A check by Channel NewsAsia also revealed that some of Netflix's original shows are not available in Singapore - such as House Of Cards, Arrested Development and Sense8. The Netflix spokesperson said that for some of these shows, this is due to rights issues.....

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/r21-content-to-be-hidden/2406514.html

tankee
Site Admin

Postby FlioChristie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:10 pm

Has anyone tried Netflix in singapore? How's the streaming speed?

Anyone care to share?

FlioChristie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Fried chicken » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:44 am

Any good local content available? Local tv shows, movies etc? Thanks

Fried chicken
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby whiteyess » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:46 pm

There are a few good schools like Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Masters of None! But selection is really so limited due to regulation

whiteyess
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby iceicebaby_ » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:13 am

FlioChristie wrote:Has anyone tried Netflix in singapore? How's the streaming speed?

Anyone care to share?

Hey FlioChristie and other people who are curious to know, Netflix has very limited variety of movies and NO local movies or Korean/taiwan/japenese dramas. I signed up my card for Netflix for the free month and netflix said will inform me thrice when free trial is over. only informed me once and then it was two days after i realised they had charged me for a new month. Very angry becuase from the free trial i alr know its not worth the money. :razz: Loading speed is fast i admit but the variation is really limited. Almost half are old old western movies and some are 2000s/2010s movies. No recent released movies or whatever. Old content. Unless you like rewatching films over and over in relatively good quality and fast loading then ok. But not all your favourite films are there. Really advise people to just watch on free sites. Save your money.

Right now im still subscribed and am working so i basically wasted my money. Dont make the same mistake

iceicebaby_
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Playground