How do you manage your/family finances?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
gracey_yeo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: How do you manage your/family finances?

Post by gracey_yeo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:03 pm

Limit yourself to online shopping. Go to the shopping malls once or twice a month. Do your grocery weekly;y. It may be hard at first but it will be effective in spending less and doing impulsive buying.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:57

Post by MrsKiasu » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 pm

I kinda agree with you :smile:

foodandflights
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by foodandflights » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 am

prioritize the important ones like Health or daily needs first, wants are never an immediate option

ChyChyNee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ChyChyNee » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:06 pm

List all your priorities and save money before you spend. Spend your money on the things you needed and not on the things you wanted for yourself.

michtan88
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by michtan88 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:55 pm

hi friends :) with the high SP rates, we've been considering switching energy retailers. Does anyone have any recommendations for a family of 3 adults and 1 kid? Was looking at Senoko Energy's online promo rate of 17.83c/kwh, which look quite good - way cheaper than SP.

hungrysandy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by hungrysandy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:02 am

I put aside an account for household expenditure and one for savings. We do not touch the savings unless for 'emergency'. If the household account is low...I will check what did we spend

Gilian039
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Gilian039 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:12 pm

Different families handle budgeting and money management in different ways. But the general goal of a family budget is a yearly, monthly or weekly picture of what you need to spend and what you have left over.
https://raisingchildren.net.au/grown-up ... ging-money

MrDenver
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by MrDenver » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:53 pm

What about having a prepaid debit cards(not link to bank) for them so that we can track their expenses and better? Since Singapore is becoming more and more cashless.

nattty
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Post by nattty » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:20 am

I think that’s a good idea.. now in this corona virus situation, even more so cashless is playing the role of reducing human contact. We should let our children be exposed to this cashless movement early so that they learn how to manage their money with their allowances https://www.taby.info/post/are-our-chil ... r-cashless

ChyChyNee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by ChyChyNee » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:24 pm

DH manages our finances and he manages it well. I help him through budgeting and finding ways how we can save more and spend less..