To Work Or Not To Work

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Do you plan to return to work?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 am

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 8

CalvinS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: To Work Or Not To Work

Post by CalvinS » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:30 pm

foodie4stuff wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:02 pm
TheAnswer wrote:The bulk of the food are eaten by my hubby and my son. My fil doesn’t eat much also.

To me eating at home isn’t about saving money. It is more of healthy living.
there's also a familial bonding about eating home-cooked food. I remember being homesicked when in overseas for the first time, and it all boiled down to the habit of eating dinner at home with every family member ;)
Yes, it is better have a time for each other so that the bond of being family become stronger and eating together will be okay.

HansA12
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by HansA12 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 pm

To work, because if someone who is in the right age and she or he is not working, she or he will not sustain its needs and wants.

Joanne25
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Joanne25 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:03 pm

HansA12 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 pm
To work, because if someone who is in the right age and she or he is not working, she or he will not sustain its needs and wants.
Right because we should not always depend on our parent's money. we should stand on our own feet.

Vince19
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Vince19 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:17 pm

HansA12 wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:09 pm
Yes, we need to work to sustain our daily need for our family and also for our selves. Money is really important nowadays.

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mondecoinmetier » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Actually this year I plan to go back to work. However, plans have hold up. 1. My Dad is in rehab hospital am worried for him especially the COVID virus is still hanging around. 2. I have recently been told by doctor that I have myopia which means I am afraid to go into accounts and admin line coz my eyesight is no longer as good as it used to. 3. HIP don't happen until 3rd quarter. So I in a midst of should I or should I not look for work. Any advise out there? Should I proceed with my plans or just put it on hold? Thank you in advance

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:235

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:06 pm

mondecoinmetier wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:54 pm
Actually this year I plan to go back to work. However, plans have hold up. 1. My Dad is in rehab hospital am worried for him especially the COVID virus is still hanging around. 2. I have recently been told by doctor that I have myopia which means I am afraid to go into accounts and admin line coz my eyesight is no longer as good as it used to. 3. HIP don't happen until 3rd quarter. So I in a midst of should I or should I not look for work. Any advise out there? Should I proceed with my plans or just put it on hold? Thank you in advance
I think it really depends on why you plan to return to the workforce. If it's for money, then I guess sooner is better than later. If it's for other reasons, you are the only one who can weigh all the pros and cons of your particular situation.

Have you had perfect eyesight up till now? If you only recently developed myopia, it can't be that serious, I think? A lot of people, myself included, have had myopia since childhood and work on computers all day!

brues
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by brues » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:14 pm

To work. There's so much to spend money on. If you don't work, you can't buy something for yourself, like the things you want, especially the things you need. You can't always depend on someone who provides for you right now.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:32

Post by starlight1968sg » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:47 pm

No work is easy and work comes with stress.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:235

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:47 pm
No work is easy and work comes with stress.
No work can be boring, and if finances are a problem, the income would help. There's stress in everything - staying home can be stressful too when it's every day with no end in sight.

mondecoinmetier
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by mondecoinmetier » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:06 pm
mondecoinmetier wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:54 pm
I think it really depends on why you plan to return to the workforce. If it's for money, then I guess sooner is better than later. If it's for other reasons, you are the only one who can weigh all the pros and cons of your particular situation.

Have you had perfect eyesight up till now? If you only recently developed myopia, it can't be that serious, I think? A lot of people, myself included, have had myopia since childhood and work on computers all day!
:thankyou: for your reply slmkhoo. No perfect eyesight. Just short-sighted but now include also lao hua. I also not sure how to determine how serious my myopia is but the doctor tell my eyeball have stretch long. Currently no signs of glaucoma, cataracts and retinal detachment but have to monitor from hence forth. I must go back every year to check my eyes. Many times I have problem finding things that are in front of me and seeing wrong price and ended taking an item thinking it is cheap. I am blind when there isn't enough light.

Going back to work coz children grown up. Also, just want to clock CPF for retirement.