Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:31

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by sky minecrafter » Thu May 21, 2020 12:56 pm

zac's mum wrote:...P1-3 still can survive without tuition. P4 onwards I start to sweat cos kid’s grades dropping & dropping...

Tuition centres have the proven exam tips & formula for scoring well. Maybe I get my kid to pick up those tips and then discontinue if no other value add...
Hi, which subject is giving you headache?

deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.

Post by deardear07 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 pm

MerlionInGermany wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:06 pm
deardear07 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 pm
MerlionInGermany wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 5:51 pm
Which center is this? Is it for sec sch or jc? Expecting pre school and pri school students to do consultations would be too much I suppose....
For sec sch.. not sure if they do this for their pri sch section. It’s a supposed premier tuition centre but I won’t name names here.

Its not only about the consults.. it’s also forcing students to undergo, n parents to pay for 2 week lessons in a week during holidays. Some parents want to rest from having lessons too.. What if we aren’t in a circuit breaker n truly away for vacation for 2 out of 4 weeks? Must explain n explain y u can’t join them during holidays n y u also can’t join their replacement lessons when u come back...
Ah now I know which one. At first I didnt know cos I thought they charge a bit lesser than $300/4 lessons. Anyway I just checked that they do it for their pri school students too. Also, I am reading that this arrangement is for the Circuit Breaker only, so for normal school holidays, if you are away, you wont have to explain etc. So anyway, not only do you not get a discount, you even need to pay doubly fast, like instead of paying for and getting 4 lessons in May, you pay for and get 8 lesson in May?
no wor... I was away last year for an extended period 3 weeks n requested to suspend n not replace coz of too many weeks. The staff started asking me to replace this date, that date. I told them it's a challenge to make up since sec sch will be v bz once sch starts n we don't stay near-need to travel too. They refused to back down. After so many communications, I had to push my child to attend after school, travel alone to the other centre that is unfamiliar where the replacement is held since I was working. Just so I don't have to forgo my $..

Previously when we first joined, we can just state our reasons n submit the suspension form. n it's done. Now have to submit, explain, find replacement n if can't, still push it till u find a time to replace instead of suspending. v tiring.

So what is ur take on this live consult for pri sch too? would like to hear ur views..

on the paying fast, yes. many centres collect earlier.. I get that. if i'm continuing, just pay abit earlier. they have promos for paying fast but it's like a lucky draw. They request payment by term so it's usually a payment of 1k++ - are we talking about the same centre?

For may holidays, fees were paid earlier by term already, and my child also used up 6 instead of usual 4 lessons. for holidays, it's 2 weeks of extra lesson per week, and 2 weeks of normal 1 lesson.

TeohC30
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by TeohC30 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:02 pm

Agreed, not all parents are able to adopt to home-based learning

MerlionInGermany
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:27

Post by MerlionInGermany » Thu May 21, 2020 2:35 pm

deardear07 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 pm
MerlionInGermany wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:06 pm
deardear07 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 pm

For sec sch.. not sure if they do this for their pri sch section. It’s a supposed premier tuition centre but I won’t name names here.

Its not only about the consults.. it’s also forcing students to undergo, n parents to pay for 2 week lessons in a week during holidays. Some parents want to rest from having lessons too.. What if we aren’t in a circuit breaker n truly away for vacation for 2 out of 4 weeks? Must explain n explain y u can’t join them during holidays n y u also can’t join their replacement lessons when u come back...
Ah now I know which one. At first I didnt know cos I thought they charge a bit lesser than $300/4 lessons. Anyway I just checked that they do it for their pri school students too. Also, I am reading that this arrangement is for the Circuit Breaker only, so for normal school holidays, if you are away, you wont have to explain etc. So anyway, not only do you not get a discount, you even need to pay doubly fast, like instead of paying for and getting 4 lessons in May, you pay for and get 8 lesson in May?
no wor... I was away last year for an extended period 3 weeks n requested to suspend n not replace coz of too many weeks. The staff started asking me to replace this date, that date. I told them it's a challenge to make up since sec sch will be v bz once sch starts n we don't stay near-need to travel too. They refused to back down. After so many communications, I had to push my child to attend after school, travel alone to the other centre that is unfamiliar where the replacement is held since I was working. Just so I don't have to forgo my $..

Previously when we first joined, we can just state our reasons n submit the suspension form. n it's done. Now have to submit, explain, find replacement n if can't, still push it till u find a time to replace instead of suspending. v tiring.

So what is ur take on this live consult for pri sch too? would like to hear ur views..

on the paying fast, yes. many centres collect earlier.. I get that. if i'm continuing, just pay abit earlier. they have promos for paying fast but it's like a lucky draw. They request payment by term so it's usually a payment of 1k++ - are we talking about the same centre?

For may holidays, fees were paid earlier by term already, and my child also used up 6 instead of usual 4 lessons. for holidays, it's 2 weeks of extra lesson per week, and 2 weeks of normal 1 lesson.
Before we proceed....
I would think we are talking about the same center, 2 branches.

deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by deardear07 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Now they have 3.. the latest was split from the nearest centre..

All in all, geographically, all 3 are not far from each other.

Still same?

MerlionInGermany
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:27

Re: Tuition centers should not force parents to accept digital learning at full fees.con

Post by MerlionInGermany » Thu May 21, 2020 9:56 pm

deardear07 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Still same?
Oh ya, now 3! Just checked the website. So...should be the same?

So anyway, since I think we are talking about the same center, for the thing about the holidays, I had thought you meant that you needed to give an explanation for replacement classes, I didnt know you were talking about giving an explanation for suspending lessons during school hols.

As for making pri sch students do consultations, I think it is a bit too much? Sometimes they dont know what they dont know....even for sec school students, not everyone is suited to do this kind of consultations. There is one center that does consultations, quite big though, but mainly for sec school maths and science. They say because every school teaches topics in different sequences, consultations allow customisation. :shrug:

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:296

Post by phtthp » Thu May 21, 2020 10:05 pm

deardear07 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Still same?
Yes, now become Total 3 centre.
The new one is nearby

deardear07
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by deardear07 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:58 am

So can someone enlighten me if this double lessons per week during holidays is a norm Or ok? Coz I’ve been through some larger centres n they don’t do that.. Especially during this period..

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:31

Post by sky minecrafter » Fri May 22, 2020 1:32 am

Hi, you are a very nice person. I would, on the contrary, ask the centre to convince me/ explain to me, why I'd need to attend 2 lessons per week during the holidays.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:296

Post by phtthp » Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 am

deardear07 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:58 am
So can someone enlighten me if this double lessons per week during holidays is a norm Or ok? Coz I’ve been through some larger centres n they don’t do that.. Especially during this period..
it is not a norm.

But because it is conducted during school holiday and if it helps to speed up your child learning, just attend twice a week. After all, June 2 coming soon and all these will end

This arrangement of alternate (go to school, next week don't go school but stay-at-home for HBL lessons), only apply for one month temporarily, for June only.

During June, tuition still remain online

However, once July start,
all students to go back school everyday unless otherwise stated

Once July start,
may ask your tuition centre, whether can resume to face-to-face (FTF) classroom tuition ?
Some tuition centre have already informed their students that come July, lessons will resume FTF classroom, no more online, unless the next wave of covid-19 hit us again. This is the new norm now