Fun Poll - How Much Would You Spend On A Watch?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

How much would you spend on a watch?

Nothing above S$100
13%
Around S$500 and below
28%
Around S$2,000
19%
Around S$6,000
16%
S$10k or above, as long as I love it
25%

Total votes : 69

Fun Poll - How Much Would You Spend On A Watch?

Postby tankee » Wed May 19, 2010 10:20 am

I am ignorant. :(

While I know that some branded Swiss watches can be expensive, only recently I realise how expensive they can be. :shock:

And that there are collectors who buy and keep these expensive time pieces. :!:

I just wonder, how much would you spend on a watch?

tankee
Site Admin

Postby hquek » Wed May 19, 2010 10:24 am

Depends lah...I go for the brand/model more than just price. Some watches is for legacy purpose.

Used to buy loads of those swatch watch until I remember I only can wear one watch at a time - and those take forever to spoil. So now, only stick to ONE 'low-range' swiss brand (less than $2K).

Am wishing and praying for the day strike toto, then will get a patek philippe....that one easily $50K. Pricey yes, but we're only holding it for the next generation (for those who've seen their advert). :-D

hquek
Councillor
Councillor

Watches

Postby DesertWind » Wed May 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Hello! 8)

I am one of those who do not really want to spend too much on a watch. But recently was looking for a nice watch for keepsake and self-reward after working for almost 20 years. Budget around SGD5K. However, I found that most branded watches cost a lot more than this. Also the designs are not very nice! I am very particular about the design. Most expensive watches look so chunky like for men and for diving. Or else those for women (like Rolex) have chain straps but look so dated/old fashioned. :wink:

I remembered seeing one Harry Winston watch before at an exibition in Singapore (must be over 20 years ago!) made of XXK gold with very simple and sleek design and cost SGD15K ! Wow! But I have never forgotten this watch that I saw and I have not seen one like this again! Nowadays Harry Winston watches seems to be encrusted with jewelry, diamonds and precious stones no doubt and cost a bomb but really not my style! :P

Now I own 3 watches by Pierre Balmain - very classy, "cheap" and good! Cost about SGD400 each!

:celebrate:

DesertWind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Wed May 19, 2010 1:05 pm

Hubby just bought me a rolex with 10 blings blings last week :love: While I bought him the rolex submariner as he is turning 40 this year.

Our most expensive watch so far. So far, we only own Tag and longines. We choose to get a rollie first as there is a market for it should you want to resell. The feeling of buying it was not buying a watch but buying a investment. Something you can potentially sell one day. There are many shops out there selling 2nd hand watches but most are rolex. Probably due to it's brand image and also the range is still reachable.

I was thinking to myself that if I were to buy a really expensive watch, will it be easy to sell it if I want to do so one day? :? Maybe smaller market as how many can afford to spend so much on a watch?

For me, I prefer something classic as it will never go out of fashion. So I don't mind a rollie. Eg. rolex design rarely change significantly if you were to buy 20 years ago.

It's really addictive. I recalled telling my hubby with bling blings good enough for me already. I won't think of anything else. BUT I know we are on the lookout for more good buys as we've 2 daughters.

Also, I learnt that Singapore might not be the cheapest place to get the watch. Some other countries are potentially cheaper or if you can find a parallel importer, you can get the same watch at least 1k cheaper. Just need to get it authenticated.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Wed May 19, 2010 1:07 pm

titank,

Just to add. There is actually forum for rolex in Singapore. Everyone discussing about price, models, anything about rolex. It's really an eye opener and there is so much to learn.

In the same forum, they also talk about other expensive watches as well.

Last but not least, the prices for such watch will only go up year after year. So there is this general belief that you should buy it sooner rather than later.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 pm

MMM wrote:titank

Just curious if you mixed up tankee with titank? :? titank did not participate in this thread at all. :wink:

Postby MMM » Wed May 19, 2010 1:18 pm

25hourmaid wrote:
MMM wrote:titank

Just curious if you mixed up tankee with titank? :? titank did not participate in this thread at all. :wink:

:oops: :lol: Maid... almost same spelling.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2010 1:21 pm

That's why someone, think was jedamum who referred to them as the two tanks! :lol:

Postby kuzco » Wed May 19, 2010 1:22 pm

Erm...i'm a cheapo :oops: Not more than $150. My going-to-work watch is a 25 Hours watch, while I have a Timex Ironman for sports. Neither costs more than $100. My excuse is that when the watch spoils, then I can buy another one. :D

kuzco
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby MMM » Wed May 19, 2010 1:27 pm

25hourmaid wrote:That's why someone, think was jedamum who referred to them as the two tanks! :lol:

:rotflmao: two tanks :lol:

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Money Matters