Do you compare your salary with others?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Yes
39%
No
61%

Total votes : 77

Postby KSP » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:25 pm

markfch wrote:I guess most of us have worked before. My first boss told me never ever compare pay amongst colleagues (maybe he has vested interested so saying so :wink: ). But after working fo so long, I can see the wisdom in his words.

To me, comparing results is like comparing pay. Even if kid has 2 marks more than neighbour, alarm bells may sound cos why only 2 marks. Neighbour not very diligent you know etc etc. If results worse than neighbour, then the feeling is even more frustrating.

So why create opportunity to make ourselves unhappy? But I do agree that it'll be useful to see where we stand in terms of highest score, median score.

This is another very interesting topic which I think we should make a poll.

From my personal experience gained from so many of wroking life, more often it will make you feel more frustrated when u get know the salary of the people around you and this is definitely not healthy.

Even when one who joined a company with 20-30% jumped, bear in mind the pay for any new hire is always in the 50-80% range of all the staff of the same job grade in that company (this is talking about experienced staff). Unless the person is hand picked by a bigshot. So there are always at least 20% of the people higher. Those are unsually long and old timers.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:58 pm

I think it is very difficult to compare salary as it is meant to be private & confidential.

In my co, they reveal to us our grade and what is the min and max range. So we know exactly where we stand as compared to our peers.

As for joining salary, I don't really agree. People usually jump with 15% increment. We observed that those who jump from time to time with will actually fetch higher $ than someone who has been in the same co. for the same period of time. How fast can your salary grow if it is limited to annual increment and potentially promotion (once in dunno how many years???) In fact, one of issues bosses have is to adjust existing employees up to the level of folks who just join the co.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:48 pm

To compare at individual level is , at best, non-productive and generally not healthy. But having said that, it's also not wise ot be totally oblivious to the world around us.

One should regularly update one's worth, so to speak. Knowledge/awareness of one's industry benchmarks, to me, serves some purpose if it motivates the right way.

I don't compare pays at individual level, as there's no end to it. I have colleagues/friends who can make couple millions a year (and some are in US$). Equally I have friends who earn much less.

If the comparison drives you to do better, then it's to be encouraged. Otherwise it's better measured vis-a-vis what you want in life and value system.

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RRMummy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Eagle-Ladybird wrote: I have colleagues/friends who can make couple millions a year (and some are in US$). Equally I have friends who earn much less.

:!: :!: :!: What do you do for a living??

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:06 pm

If want to compare will always be 比上不足,比下有余. There will always be others who earn a lot more then you and conversely, there will be a lot of others earning lesser.

I have a policy for my staff. Salary, bonuses, are all confidential. If I catch any of them going around asking others about their salary and causing dissatisfaction among colleagues as a result of this, I will not hesitate to put the person on probation or even dismiss them.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Do you compare your salary with others?

Postby markfch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:08 pm

From past recruitment experience, one of the phenomena I noticed was that the fresh grads pay (at least in the engineering line) has kept up with the yearly increments of working staff. So there was a point whereby freshies were asking for the same pay as engineers with a few yrs experience under their belts.

Now not all companies practise pay adjustments. So in such cases, HR staff can only do this ==> :stupid:

So if you're experienced staff, you think it's better to compare pay or not?
Last edited by markfch on Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markfch
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm

hahaha . . . I can assure you I'm not in that category.

Believed me, the top 1% performers in the front line of several industries, draw paychecks in millions (even if a big portion of it, is performance based, the basic is still substantial). But that's no my point - my point is, there's no end to comparing at individual levels.

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby RRMummy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Eagle-Ladybird wrote:hahaha . . . I can assure you I'm not in that category.

Believed me, the top 1% performers in the front line of several industries, draw paychecks in millions (even if a big portion of it, is performance based, the basic is still substantial). But that's no my point - my point is, there's no end to comparing at individual levels.

I know your point... but.. but.. the millions are just too shocking to ignore... :wink:

RRMummy
Councillor
Councillor

Postby buds » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:13 pm

RRMummy wrote:

I know your point... but.. but.. the millions are just too shocking to ignore... :wink:

:rotflmao:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:15 pm

RRMummy wrote:

:rotflmao:

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Money Matters