To Work Or Not To Work

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Do you plan to return to work?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 am

Yes
63%
No
38%

Total votes: 8

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Re: To Work Or Not To Work

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:16 am

janet88 wrote:EC at hougang was sold out within hours...le quest had 200 units sold out within hours. how do these people do their sums? rental market is so bad. even private condo sales are cold.
Maybe pple are relying on the proceeds after selling their current homes?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 am

starlight1968sg wrote:
janet88 wrote:EC at hougang was sold out within hours...le quest had 200 units sold out within hours. how do these people do their sums? rental market is so bad. even private condo sales are cold.
Maybe pple are relying on the proceeds after selling their current homes?
those who bought EC would definitely have to sell off their current place. i don't think they are allowed to own hdb and EC at the same time. just googled le quest location. it will be around West Ridges/Rock...not exactly near bukit batok MRT.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:37 am

Janet
Yet to visit Le Quest

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:10 am

starlight1968sg wrote:Janet
Yet to visit Le Quest
there is a plot of land near the private college in bukit batok near the WestWhatever. so it's meant for le quest.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by janet88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm

if there are 2nd timers in the queue switching to buy private condo or EC, i will have more chances to choose choice units :pray: :pray: :pray:

realtalk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by realtalk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:35 pm

At the current state of the economy, I think it's best for both parents to work. However, working full-time does not necessarily mean sacrificing your child's well-being. It should be a give-and-take relationship between the husband and wife. I for one, make enough earnings by managing my own online store while still being hands-on to my kids (who are now teenagers!). The net now has a lot of work-from-home options that parents can explore. Hope this helps!

Huiwen86
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Huiwen86 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:19 pm

From this month onwards,I took 2 years off my teaching job to coach my 2 girls who just came out from Malaysia and going to start P5 in 2018.Husband is a trainer in the navy so with just one income,I guess we have to be more frugal with our money.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:50

Post by MrsKiasu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 am

your hands will be very full with 4 kids. fine to be frugal just enjoy your break.

Huiwen86
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by Huiwen86 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:49 am

MrsKiasu wrote:your hands will be very full with 4 kids. fine to be frugal just enjoy your break.
We buy clothes just once in a while and seldom eat at restaurants or coffee shops unless the head cook is really tired.We usually buy a week's worth of food stored in the fridge and cook at home.

Yngmng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Yngmng » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:53 am

Huiwen86 wrote:From this month onwards,I took 2 years off my teaching job to coach my 2 girls who just came out from Malaysia and going to start P5 in 2018.Husband is a trainer in the navy so with just one income,I guess we have to be more frugal with our money.
When I quit my job last year, I cut down on kid's tuition and try to eat out less often. We also cut our parents' allowance. Feeling guilty about it.

Hubby still prefers I work though. He says he can splurge. But at the same time, he does not want me to be stressed. :shrug: