Cyber Scam - How does it work?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Cyber Scam - How does it work?

Postby BigDevil » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:48 pm

I've always received emails telling me that I've won a big lottery, or emails from a dishonest lawyer trying to get me to help transfer his dead client's x million dollars out of the country. Now I understand that these scams work by trying to get me to transfer a sum of "admin" charges before they can release the money to me. But this past weekend, I came across another scam which I'm not familiar with.

See, I'm trying to sell a camera, first here at KSP. Having no takers, I posted ads on online classifieds instead. I got an email from a chap, claiming that he's located in UK, and he would like to purchase the camera for a nephew who's in Nigeria for some religious missionary work. What he's offering is, on top of my asking price of SGD139, he will bank transfer additional USD150 to cover my shipping cost to ship the camera to Nigeria. :siao:

I doubt he's targetting to get the cheapo camera for free, since I'm not stupid enough to ship it out without first seeing the money. Then what's he after? If I provide him my bank account, what can he do with it? If he asks me to transfer "admin" fee, what would be his "reasons" to convince me to pay for something when I'm the one who expect to be paid (well...so were the lottery "winners" :P )?

Anyone has any idea? Wonder if I should play along and give him a fake bank account? :wink:

BTW...I got 2 of such emails, so it's definitely a scam.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby duriz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Hey BigD,

Ask yourself these questions:

Did you expect the e-mail?

Do you know the sender in person?

Did the sender mention your name in his/her initial e-mail?

Does the sender have any other personal information about you (besides your name)? If so, did the sender supply a valid, trustworthy source of where he/she obtained the information?

If you answered NO to at least 50% of these questions, you are most likely dealing with a scam.

IMHO all cyber scammers are dangerous to a certain degree in their own way, so I wouldn't bait them.

But if you did send them a bogus bank account then make up excuses on why or how you cannot send money for a few times, they would either suggest other means for you to send money or back off.

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:49 pm

You should reply with a scam too.

Say that you are very poor that why selling off the camera to get money. Can't afford to send the item out (can't afford shipping cost) without getting the money first.
Ask him to send $$ to you via Western Union which can be collected at our Post Offices and you can mail out the camera immediately.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby duriz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 am

Just received a PM from Sister(Mrs).Felicia Koroma, from Abidjan Cote d Ivoire West Africa. She is about to give me US$2.5M. YAHOO!

duriz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BigDevil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:15 am

duriz wrote:Hey BigD,

Ask yourself these questions:

Did you expect the e-mail?

Do you know the sender in person?

Did the sender mention your name in his/her initial e-mail?

Does the sender have any other personal information about you (besides your name)? If so, did the sender supply a valid, trustworthy source of where he/she obtained the information?

If you answered NO to at least 50% of these questions, you are most likely dealing with a scam.
Well, it's an online ad, so I did expect to receive emails from total strangers. But of course they don't have any of my personal information.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby BigDevil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:35 am

mrswongtuition wrote:You should reply with a scam too.

Say that you are very poor that why selling off the camera to get money. Can't afford to send the item out (can't afford shipping cost) without getting the money first.
Ask him to send $$ to you via Western Union which can be collected at our Post Offices and you can mail out the camera immediately.

Hahaha...good idea! Perhaps I'll give that a try...tell him I'm so poor I don't even have a bank account! :lol:

I once received 2 emails from 2 different "lawyers" within a span of minutes. One offering $4m, the other offering $9.5m. I replied the one offering $4m, telling him no thanks since I have a better offer of $9.5m. :wink:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby BigDevil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:41 am

duriz wrote:Just received a PM from Sister(Mrs).Felicia Koroma, from Abidjan Cote d Ivoire West Africa. She is about to give me US$2.5M. YAHOO!

So did I!!

The nerve she has....offering the money to someone else when she already offered to me!! :x

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Augmum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:45 am

BigDevil wrote:
duriz wrote:Just received a PM from Sister(Mrs).Felicia Koroma, from Abidjan Cote d Ivoire West Africa. She is about to give me US$2.5M. YAHOO!

So did I!!

The nerve she has....offering the money to someone else when she already offered to me!! :x

haha...i also received "the offering of her money"
wonder did the PMs sent to every1 here...... :wink: :P

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BigDevil » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:47 am

I just read the entire PM. I should reply her to give me the money and that I will follow her wishes to donate to Christian organisations.

Then sign off with "BigDevil". :lol:

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby Augmum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:49 am

Big D, good idea :wink:
u have changed yr avatar, "couldn't recognise", postings are fr u :wink:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Money Matters