how much do u spend on groceries

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

how much do u spend on groceries

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:50 am

jus a poll, how much do u spend on groceries and marketing a mth?
i rem few yrs back when i go ntuc, just spend 50-60 ea wk ea time but nowadays i always end up 80-100, stimes 150 ev time i go, whc is once a week, so it makes ard 600 a mth. that is excluding meat whc my hub buys on wkends. is it the things increase in price so much?
i dont even buy non-essential stuff eg tidbits, liquor, cigarette (no one smokes in my family), magazines, etc. just buy fruits, veg, cooking oil, rice, diaper, milk, juice, tissue, milo, coffee, canned food, spaghetti that sort of things.

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby foreverj » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:28 am

i think its the fruits and diapers and milk powder. depending on what kind of fruits u buy. apples and oranges r cheaper but if u buy the more exotic ones like cherries, strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, persimmon etc, can burst budget easily.

diapers - depending on which brand also.

children/ infant milk powder is always expensive.

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby b2b3m4 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:39 am

The amt really depends on the size of the family and their ages. I'm a FTWM with 3 kids (6, 4, 2). I only prepare breakfast and dinner. No cooking on weekends. For me it usually ranges less than $400.

My big ticket items are milk powder ($50+/mth) and diapers ($40/mth).

I avoid buying processed or ready eat food or drinks like wanton, nuggets, pasta sauces, pan cakes mixes, small pack sized biscuits or drinks. I feel these items are not only more expensive (can be esp costly for a family of 5) but less healthy. I make large batches of ready to eat meals from scratch and freeze them (I have a large stand alone freezer inherit from my kids' breast milk time). When certain vegetables are on huge discounts (e.g bell peppers, eggplants, celery, carrots, tomato, butternut squash) i will buy and roast them or use them to make a soup stock for future use. All these, i believe helps to keep my groceries bills low.

My next project now is to make batches of cupcakes, muffins and biscuits for dd's break time when she goes Pri 1 next year.

b2b3m4
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby peterch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:21 am

Agree.... it's really depends on the size of the family, ages and the quality of groceries that we bought. My family with 2 kids 11 and 9 would spend 300+ per month

b2b3m4 wrote:The amt really depends on the size of the family and their ages. I'm a FTWM with 3 kids (6, 4, 2). I only prepare breakfast and dinner. No cooking on weekends. For me it usually ranges less than $400.

My big ticket items are milk powder ($50+/mth) and diapers ($40/mth).

I avoid buying processed or ready eat food or drinks like wanton, nuggets, pasta sauces, pan cakes mixes, small pack sized biscuits or drinks. I feel these items are not only more expensive (can be esp costly for a family of 5) but less healthy. I make large batches of ready to eat meals from scratch and freeze them (I have a large stand alone freezer inherit from my kids' breast milk time). When certain vegetables are on huge discounts (e.g bell peppers, eggplants, celery, carrots, tomato, butternut squash) i will buy and roast them or use them to make a soup stock for future use. All these, i believe helps to keep my groceries bills low.

My next project now is to make batches of cupcakes, muffins and biscuits for dd's break time when she goes Pri 1 next year.

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Poonie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:45 am

Wow! $300 is low! How do you do it? Care to share some tips?

For our family of 4 and 1 maid, we are set back by $40-50 per marketing trip for fresh meat and vegetables and that's done 2x a week. For household supplies and toiletries I shop every 2-3 weeks and that usually set me back by $80 - $120 per trip. In total it averages $600 per mth.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby smurf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:59 am

Think it depends on the quality also. If you buy quality products, the bill will go up. What about eating out?

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Poonie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:22 am

smurf wrote:Think it depends on the quality also. If you buy quality products, the bill will go up. What about eating out?

For us we cook all 3 meals at home...........maybe that's why it adds up higher. On weekends we eat out for about 2 main meals and not forgetting those sinful but yummy breakfasts!

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby daddy2007 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:42 pm

For my family of 4 (SAHM + Maid + 1 child)

Per Month
Raw Food: $250
Bread for Breakfast: $40
Groceries/Toiletries: $260
MilkPowder: $150

Luckily don't need diaper anymore.

Siong!

daddy2007
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby 24hr-mum » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:31 pm

hi daddy2007

jus curious, since ur wife is a sahm, why still hv a maid?

24hr-mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 am

Daddy2007,
Your wife is very lucky! Can be SAHM and have a maid, and only 1 child!

I have lost count of my grocery bills... think about $150 - 200 per week. For festive months, can go up to $900... we have 4 adults, 2 kids. Cook most meals at home.

SM Goh Chok Tong once said we cannot compare our grocery bills to 20 years ago coz in the past, pple just bought the basics. Now, we must go for good brands and exotic stuff. Our parents bought normal milk like Nespray or KLIM but now we buy Similac, Pediasure etc. Who bought turkeys, air-flown beef and Sakura chicken 20 years ago?
Last edited by cherrygal on Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters