To sell or not to sell our pty

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Postby Tania » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:44 pm

I am in a dilemma as to whether to sell away our apt. My hubby wants to sell it so that we are free from the bank loan.. use the money to buy HDB and pay in full..

However, I really like where i live right now.. cos it very convenient for me to pick up my kids from school.. i just like the environment around my house.. My hubby is suggesting to move to some where close to his workplace which is Yew Tew/Upper Bt Timah.. But when i think of the traffic around that area i dun feel like selling my apt.

Any advise???

Tania
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ghostz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:40 pm

depends on how much money you can make out of the sale and whether it is enough for you to make up for any inconvenience that you cannot adapt to even after some time. that is a question only you can answer.

ghostz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:43 pm

very much also depends whether the existing property has any more price gain ?
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Tania » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:45 am

Actually, our pty has appreciated by abt 50% to 60%.. I am not sure whether it will continue to appreciate or not... I not just not sure whether i can tahan the change of environment if we were to relcoate to another location.. but sometime when i think of the profit we stand to gain... i tink we shld just move and put the money in our pocket..

Tania
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:06 am

Tania wrote:Actually, our pty has appreciated by abt 50% to 60%.. I am not sure whether it will continue to appreciate or not... I not just not sure whether i can tahan the change of environment if we were to relcoate to another location.. but sometime when i think of the profit we stand to gain... i tink we shld just move and put the money in our pocket..

do remember to take in other "hidden" costs in your "profit" calculation.
- interest paid over housing loan (and perhaps renovation loan)
- renovation cost
- legal fee
- property agent commission

The potential gain may not be as much as what it appears to be.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Herbie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:47 am

Hi just sell it.

Herbie
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby titank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Tania wrote:I am in a dilemma as to whether to sell away our apt. My hubby wants to sell it so that we are free from the bank loan.. use the money to buy HDB and pay in full..

However, I really like where i live right now.. cos it very convenient for me to pick up my kids from school.. i just like the environment around my house.. My hubby is suggesting to move to some where close to his workplace which is Yew Tew/Upper Bt Timah.. But when i think of the traffic around that area i dun feel like selling my apt.

Any advise???

Defintely you can free from bank loan if sell private property & buy a HDB flat. Yes you would need some time to adjust to a new environment especially you had been living in the same neighbourhood for quite a period of time.

Perhaps you should wait for the property to crash then you can sell your low & buy low. It is the same as you sell high & buy high at this time. In a layman term, I just think the property market would crash. SOmething go up sure have to come down!

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KSP » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Just sell it and take profit. The property market has little or no chance to go any further with the gov keeping a very close eye on the price index. More measures will be implemeted if the prices still goes up next quarter. So the buyers now all become sellers. In a speculative market the buyers and sellers are the same bunch of people. A property market without speculators will crash for sure.

KSP
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: To sell or not to sell our pty

Postby tankee » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:46 pm

titank wrote:
Defintely you can free from bank loan if sell private property & buy a HDB flat. Yes you would need some time to adjust to a new environment especially you had been living in the same neighbourhood for quite a period of time.

Perhaps you should wait for the property to crash then you can sell your low & buy low. It is the same as you sell high & buy high at this time. In a layman term, I just think the property market would crash. SOmething go up sure have to come down!

from private to HDB, it is better to sell high buy high
whereas from HDB to private, it is sell low buy low

HDB price tends to be more stable whereas private is more volatile. The difference between the high and low of HDB is nothing when compared to private properties.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby titank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 pm

When would be the best opportunity where sell high & buy low? Maybe sell away & then temporary move to someone's house. Wehn low then enter the market?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters