Convenience or serenity?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Convenience or serenity?

Postby Admummy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:59 pm

If you dun drive, have a family of 3 kids (all below 6yrs old) and given a chance,

Wld choose to stay at a place where's it's a stone throw away from a park and rerservoir BUT absolutely no amenities? No hawker centers,7-11, atm machines not even a mama shop until like few bus stops away...

Or

An unit above shopping malls, interchange and mrt? You'll also be surrounded by shops within neighborhood centers, library, banks, clinics...

So far most feedback given to me is option 1..according to many if stay at 2 will be tempted to spent lots a money coz so convenient to shop and likely the kids will be distracted from study.. Also for 2 there is noise and air pollutions...

What are your views?

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:25 pm

I would opt for option 2 - not unit directly above mrt station though.
A stone throw or 5 minutes walk is good enough

Option 1 is good only if you don't mind travelling a distance just to buy breakfast. And must have huge cabinets and fridge to store food. Crisis if your supply runs low! Cannot sukat sukat run downstairs to 打包

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Admummy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Sleepy, what's wrong with directly above mrt? Is it a nightmare? Any personal experience?

For opt 2, got concern over security too since downstairs is "open to public"? But guess it's worth investment in the long run subsequently if I wanna resale in the near future since it's so convenient? Dilemma..

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sall » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:21 pm

For option 1, you must have a car, otherwise it is such a hassle to do grocery shopping, marketing. Imagine lugging all those heavy shopping bags and taking public transport.
My flat is directly in front of MRT station and I love the convenience.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Admummy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:08 pm

sall wrote:My flat is directly in front of MRT station and I love the convenience.

Sall, is it very noisy to stay in front of the MRT station? can tolerate the noise? how about vibration?

Admummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 pm

The MRT track is just outside my mom's flat in Bedok. Initially, it was really very noisy whenever the train passes by. But in the long run, you do get used to it.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby LOLMum » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:57 pm

definitely convenience beats all for me.

even with a car, i do find it troublesome to drive out to buy stuff. need to find parking lot, pay for parking and waste time on travelling. worse if stuck in a car park jam etc.

you may have done your weekly grocery shopping but once in a while, you realise you need that ingredient or something urgently, so it is good if supermarket or mini market is near your place.

my sis' place has a library, hawker centre, food centre, mrt, clinic, ntuc, post office. so convenient but wish there is a shopping mall.

if possible, i would like to stay as near to shopping mall as possible, like parkway parade, tampines mall, eastpoint mall, bugis, white sands, toa payoh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

but i am sure there are places in spore whereby it has all the amenities yet peaceful and nice view. just our luck in finding them.

LOLMum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sall » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi Admummy, I'm not disturbed by the noise at all and I also don't feel the vibration. Maybe I'm so used to it. :D Actually I rather hear the train than to hear children screaming at the playground.

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:42 pm

Admummy wrote:Sleepy, what's wrong with directly above mrt? Is it a nightmare? Any personal experience? ..

No personal experience but hearsay from a friend whose friend owns a unit above mrt. Supposedly can feel some slight vibration when train arrives at station.

Admummy wrote:For opt 2, got concern over security too since downstairs is "open to public"? But guess it's worth investment in the long run subsequently if I wanna resale in the near future since it's so convenient? Dilemma..

LOLMum wrote:you may have done your weekly grocery shopping but once in a while, you realise you need that ingredient or something urgently, so it is good if supermarket or mini market is near your place.

Strongly agreed. My current house is not near NTUC. Need to drive once a week to buy in bulk. I always have a long shopping list. By mid week, I usually run out of vegetables so have to rely on carrots & potatoes till my next trip to supermarket.

My previous house merely couple of minutes walk to mrt and NTUC. So much more convenient! Not that I would take train or go NTUC everyday but at least it is available as & when

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:45 pm

Admummy,
There's only a few places in Singapore that has what is described in your option 2. I think u need to check out the exact unit that u r planning to buy becos certain units may experience certain disturbances, depending on facing n how the entire place is mapped out above the MRT station.

As for the temptation, only u can answer that question. Likewise for the kids. JMHO.

I think the convenience of MRT n amenities is priceless! Pm me if u need more infor.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters