Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

HDB and Condo

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Re: HDB and Condo

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:44 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Coolkidsrock2 wrote:Personally I find dual bowl sink difficult to pump when it chokes. Not sure if it is the same for others. I switched back to single bowl.

I have a double-bowl sink and don't have problems with pumping it when it chokes. Mine has never actually choked completely, but occasionally (maybe once a year), if I see that the water drainage is slowing down, I will pump. It clears very quickly. Was it completely choked before you tried pumping?

Yes. Quite completely choked. Need 2 pumps whenever we pumped. 1 to cover the other sink and 1 to pump.

It is better now as we stopped cooking and I started using the dishwasher. The hot soapy water plus the force from the water seems to keep it clear.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Coolkidsrock2,

Mixer for kitchen is very useful as it clears oiliness on regular basis & helps reduce clogged pipes in long run. Had dishwasher but never use for last 8 years as don't feel it's absolutely clean. Washing with hot water fr mixer helps as I ensure every cutlery & utensils are definitely without grime or dirt. Our dishwasher became a white elephant.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Estéema » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 pm

janet88 wrote:
not doing walk in wardrobes, tv console, bay window, false ceiling, feature walls & dressing table. just removed shoe seat from my renovation list. no tempered glass for the shower screen either.
the majority of my renovation is on wardrobes in the rooms, built in study table for kids, and shelves+ work table for hubby and myself in recess area, blinds, shower screen in master/common toilet, kitchen cabinets at the bottom. renov is mainly carpentry, wet work (kerb for shower screen), electrical and of course flooring. no wet work in kitchen since there are wall and floor tiles provided.
grilles only in the service yard. he wanted grilles in the whole flat...i was like, 'what for? :yikes: kids are big and grilles will make the flat look smaller.'

You're not doing top-hung kitchen cabinets? These top-hung certainly gives more storage space to put away stuff & neat look. Esp useful for smaller space whether condo or BTO. Hope your ID advice to maximize your space planning.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:50 am

janet88 wrote:not doing walk in wardrobes, tv console, bay window, false ceiling, feature walls & dressing table. just removed shoe seat from my renovation list. no tempered glass for the shower screen either.

I insist on tempered glass for safety reason. Glass can be stressed by temperature change (hot showers and cool ambient temperature), there is also the danger of falling in the toilet and hitting against the glass. Tempered glass is stronger. It is not that tempered glass will not break, but it breaks in a different way that is safer (no big large sharp shards that can pierce). Maybe you want to go and check a bit more on this.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 am

Estéema wrote:
janet88 wrote:
not doing walk in wardrobes, tv console, bay window, false ceiling, feature walls & dressing table. just removed shoe seat from my renovation list. no tempered glass for the shower screen either.
the majority of my renovation is on wardrobes in the rooms, built in study table for kids, and shelves+ work table for hubby and myself in recess area, blinds, shower screen in master/common toilet, kitchen cabinets at the bottom.

You're not doing top-hung kitchen cabinets? These top-hung certainly gives more storage space to put away stuff & neat look. Esp useful for smaller space whether condo or BTO. Hope your ID advice to maximize your space planning.

If Janet doesn't have a lot of kitchen items, it may be sufficient. Stuff can be stored in the bomb shelter store room too.
In this case, do spend on full height shelving racks for your store room. Very useful.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:54 am

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:
Yes. Quite completely choked. Need 2 pumps whenever we pumped. 1 to cover the other sink and 1 to pump.

It is better now as we stopped cooking and I started using the dishwasher. The hot soapy water plus the force from the water seems to keep it clear.

Boil a big kettle of water and pour it boiling hot down the sink. This dislodges the accumulated oil in the pipes. Follow up with a chemical declogger at appropriate intervals.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:56 am

ammonite wrote:
janet88 wrote:not doing walk in wardrobes, tv console, bay window, false ceiling, feature walls & dressing table. just removed shoe seat from my renovation list. no tempered glass for the shower screen either.

I insist on tempered glass for safety reason. Glass can be stressed by temperature change (hot showers and cool ambient temperature), there is also the danger of falling in the toilet and hitting against the glass. Tempered glass is stronger. It is not that tempered glass will not break, but it breaks in a different way that is safer (no big large sharp shards that can pierce). Maybe you want to go and check a bit more on this.

Agree with Ammonite.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Zeit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:20 am

janet88 wrote:
Zeit wrote:You can save a lot if you don't do much carpentry work. That usually jacks up your overall quotation, cos you need to pay by per foot run for laminate (internal + external), the carcasses, in addition to hinges, closers, handles, solid surface tops (if applic) + labour.

May I suggest you focus on the wet works (kerbs for bath & ktichen), elec wirings, aircon, piping, kitchen, wardrobes, bath cabinet, lightings, grilles, blinds, paintwork & flooring.

Bomb shelter - get those heavy-duty industrial racks.

the majority of my renovation is on wardrobes in the rooms, built in study table for kids, and shelves+ work table for hubby and myself in recess area, blinds, shower screen in master/common toilet, kitchen cabinets at the bottom. renov is mainly carpentry, wet work (kerb for shower screen), electrical and of course flooring. no wet work in kitchen since there are wall and floor tiles provided.
grilles only in the service yard. he wanted grilles in the whole flat...i was like, 'what for? :yikes: kids are big and grilles will make the flat look smaller.'

1) Tempered Glass

No janet. I was really thinking of non-essential tempered glass that some younger owners splurged on (e.g. study room built like a full-glass boardroom, entrance screens, kitchen doors, staircase railings/stairs for EM). For your bathrooms, you MUST use tempered glass. If I'm not wrong, it's a BCA /HDB requirement? ID will advise you on the std thickness required for shower screens.

If you install those Rainshower showerheads (copies also can), you can save on 1 tempered glass panel, but outside may be wet like the other forummers said if you happen to be the sort who splashes a lot.

If your space is rectangular, you can sans 1 glass panel. But if yours is a square space - better have doors.

If you don't want to install your own shower screen, go to Hoe Kee or Sim Siang Choon to buy off-the-rack Made-in-China Shower Glass Capsules. Just plonk it in 1 corner of your bathroom.

2) False ceiling

Earlier, you mentioned no false ceiling for your bathroom. May I know if you can live with those sewage pipes from upstairs? They are an eyesore to me. Concealing them in false ceiling allows you to install down lights, ventilation fans, and even create space to have a few 150mm deep 'wall nooks' for toiletries.

If you don't, you'll have to live with those pipes...I thought we've progressed (in the aesthetic sense) and no longer living in the 1980s when portable shower, squat pans and sink are all in one! Pipes should be concealed in bathrooms. If you don't conceal them, this is the best you can get with exposed pipes.

3) Kitchen Wet Work/Masonry

Kitchen no need wet work? How about the kerb for your cabinets and washing machine?

Agree with Esteema that top hung cabinets are very useful. Did HDB tile up your kitchen wall to the ceiling? And are there some exposed gas pipes too?

4) Bay Windows

Do you have Bay Windows at your BTO? I mentioned those with Bay Windows need to spend more on customised furniture, as I'd visited some condos with bay window ledges 'wrapped up' with plywood to create a bedframe/platform or study table or reading corner. If they purchase a loose bed, they will lose a lot of space (300mm depth?) in their tiny bedroom.
Last edited by Zeit on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:28 am

ammonite wrote:
Coolkidsrock2 wrote:

Boil a big kettle of water and pour it boiling hot down the sink. This dislodges the accumulated oil in the pipes. Follow up with a chemical declogger at appropriate intervals.

I don't use a lot of oil in my cooking, so I guess my sinks don't clog as much. I also use hot water to rinse oily pots and dishes before washing. That helps prevent the oil clogging the pipes. I actually have hot water from my kitchen tap, but it takes so long to get from the heater to the tap that I stopped bothering to use it. I just boil a kettle of water when I need hot water, and pour it onto the oily dishes before washing. Much faster!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 am

Estéema wrote:You're not doing top-hung kitchen cabinets? These top-hung certainly gives more storage space to put away stuff & neat look. Esp useful for smaller space whether condo or BTO. Hope your ID advice to maximize your space planning.

i will be doing bottom cabinets on the opposite side, though not as much as top hung cabinet.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Money Matters

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres