Claiming insurance for injuries during sch activities

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Claiming insurance for injuries during sch activities

Postby sall » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:44 am

My dd got injured during cca training. The students are covered by some insurance plans in sch. I wonder if injuries due to excessive training is covered by insurance or must it be an accident? She is excused from PE and physical training, other than that, normal life is not affected.
The tr gave me the claim form, but I got to fill in the date of accident, since this is not an accident case, can I still claim? Any body has any idea or tried claiming from sch insurance?

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Claiming insurance for injuries during sch activities

Postby Eddow » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:24 am

sall wrote:My dd got injured during cca training. The students are covered by some insurance plans in sch. I wonder if injuries due to excessive training is covered by insurance or must it be an accident? She is excused from PE and physical training, other than that, normal life is not affected.
The tr gave me the claim form, but I got to fill in the date of accident, since this is not an accident case, can I still claim? Any body has any idea or tried claiming from sch insurance?

If your dd is injured in school, it is covered. Not sure how is your dd injuries, but maybe I can share my ds1 experience. DS1 had otah during recess, got a tiny fish bone stuck in his tonsil. :yikes: Brought him to KKH and got it removed. Successfully claim from school insurance on the hosp bill.
Maybe you can just try and submit. Don't drag too long on it.

Eddow
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby sall » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi Eddow, thanks for your reply. I suppose for any mishap in sch, then we can try claiming. I'll just try claiming in this case. :smile:

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guidance » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:17 pm

HI sall, in the claim form, indicate the following :
- date, time of accident. that your child injured herself during cca
- nature of injury eg. fell, twisted her leg, swell painful. see doctor
- submit the original invoice, photo of her injury (if available)
This should be sufficient.

Guidance
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sall » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks Guidance. :smile:

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tankee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:26 pm

hi sall

It would be very nice of you if you could share your experience & knowledge with all of us here once the whole claim process is over.

:)

tankee
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:47 pm

Just sharing my personal experience.

When my elder boy was in P6, he injured his left index finger during CCA. There was no blood, but he was in great pain. Suspected fracture.

The school called me and I rushed down, and found him surrounded by caring teachers and office staff in the sick bay.

I rushed him to the A&E and they did an x-tray. There was no fracture, but to be on the safe side, they decided to refer him to an Orthopaedic for a thorough check-up. Turned out that it was a bad sprain and the finger was a bit twisted. And for weeks, he had a navy blue bandage that made the injured finger stood up like a sore thumb, though it was the index finger and not the thumb! :wink:

Gave all the receipts, yes, receipts from A&E, x-tray department, Orthopaedic and follow-up appointments etc to the School's Admin Manager, filled up some forms and the entire amount was reimbursed within weeks.

Postby auntieM » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Would be good to get a written report from the doctor.. I asked for one from the dentist when my DS was injured and got a very detailed one, thus saving us the trouble to write one.. ..

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:05 pm

auntieM wrote:Would be good to get a written report from the doctor.. I asked for one from the dentist when my DS was injured and got a very detailed one, thus saving us the trouble to write one.. ..

Yes, that's a very good idea. Forgot whether I did submit a report, after all, it's been so many years.

Postby sall » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 am

I submitted the claim form 2 weeks ago, since waiting for reply. They do not allow double claiming. The claim form, which is tedious to fill up, must be submitted within 1 mth from date of medical bill. If there is more than one medical consultation, then just submit all the bills together with the claim form. :smile:

sall
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Money Matters