Suggestions for starting a Scholarship

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.

Suggestions for starting a Scholarship

Postby UncleLim » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:59 am

I have been discussing with friends about starting a scholarship fund. Not the kind that sends students to famous universities, but those that help kids from families that are struggling to make ends meet.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to make that happen? I do not want to do it through the government or school authorities. No strings attached. Just help the children with their school fees, books and schooling expenses. No forms to fill. No multiple interviews just to get $50. I believe many families need help but should not be subject to humiliation.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Suggestions for starting a Scholarship

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:17 pm

there is a difference between humiliation and due diligence - it is how the questions were asked and how the questions were perceived by the hearer, it takes two hands to clap and one hand to slap

anyone responsible for handing out the money need to do some basic due diligence, else any tom dick harry ahmad ah kau ali will come ask for money - that is plain irresponsible, bad stewardship, and lacking in accountability

genuine cases of need do not have worry

good and noble motive !! they can partner family services centre / clan assn / churches / Mosque .... and just give money to the genuine cases after these have been vetted
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby 3Boys » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:30 pm

Uncle Lim, very good and laudable intentions. As vks2010 says, you will have to put up some sort of screen to ensure that the dollars get spent wisely. Presumably, you will be looking to raise funds from the public? In which case, you may need to register as a charity.

Here is an organisation I have supported in the past --> http://www.newlife.org.sg/?p=section&su ... legrppk=77

Its got a reasonably robust programme to help underprivileged children with school work. Perhaps work with an established organisation to begin with, learn the ropes and then strike out on your own? Good luck!

3Boys
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby WeiHan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 pm

UncleLim wrote:I have been discussing with friends about starting a scholarship fund. Not the kind that sends students to famous universities, but those that help kids from families that are struggling to make ends meet.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to how to make that happen? I do not want to do it through the government or school authorities. No strings attached. Just help the children with their school fees, books and schooling expenses. No forms to fill. No multiple interviews just to get $50. I believe many families need help but should not be subject to humiliation.

This nothing new. The Buddhist Lodge at Kim Yam Road did this year after year. Anonymous people are willing to drop into the donation box millions of dollars just for this purpose.

You can try set up a webpage for online donation, I guess.

WeiHan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Verykiasu2010, 3boys and Weihan, thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I do understand there has to be some on-the-ground verification of the would-be beneficiaries. But no, I do not intend to work with an organisation that is already doing the same thing. That would be too easy. And I have gone through some early stage discussions with one or two organisations but failed to establish common ground.

I am starting out small and may help only a few families a year. So I won't be asking anyone else for funds. That will make it easier to get going.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 pm

UncleLim wrote:Verykiasu2010, 3boys and Weihan, thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, I do understand there has to be some on-the-ground verification of the would-be beneficiaries. But no, I do not intend to work with an organisation that is already doing the same thing. That would be too easy. And I have gone through some early stage discussions with one or two organisations but failed to establish common ground.

I am starting out small and may help only a few families a year. So I won't be asking anyone else for funds. That will make it easier to get going.

that reminds me a cousin of mine would use one month's pay every year to organise christmas party and cny party for the old folks who have no relatives to turn to, and over the years, friends and colleagues chipped in and now every year got surplus even -- headache !!
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am

3Boys wrote:
Its got a reasonably robust programme to help underprivileged children with school work. Perhaps work with an established organisation to begin with, learn the ropes and then strike out on your own? Good luck!

I always thought this would be one of the best way to help the underprivilaged, especially the children/youths. Not only will the kids be taken off the streets and given proper guidance, their parents will also be free up to look for ways to make a living.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UncleLim » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:08 am

verykiasu2010 wrote:that reminds me a cousin of mine would use one month's pay every year to organise christmas party and cny party for the old folks who have no relatives to turn to, and over the years, friends and colleagues chipped in and now every year got surplus even -- headache !!

You are right! It is not so easy to give money away. Your cousin is obviously trusted by one and all because they have seen his generosity in action. People are always willing to give to the less fortunate. Their issues are (1)Who to give to? and (2) Can I trust the person who is helping to give out the money?

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Money Matters