Is Groupon a scam?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
patntee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Is Groupon a scam?

Post by patntee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:32 pm

I have bought a tummy trim treatment package for 5 sessions. Regret at the first session. These salons or spas just want to lure you to go then hard sell their packages to you which cost $1000 up. She can even tell me the treatment that I bought won't work for me. Each session supposed to cost more than $100, and what they did is a few minutes massage and then leave you in the tummy wrap for half hour or so. I told her plainly if this is the standard to expect, I wouldn't part my money for their packages. The worst is her attitude change after being rejected. So I wouldn't buy anymore such deals for salons or spa. The more people buy the more we should siam because it just means higher risk of a sloppy job.

jongivy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by jongivy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Picolo wrote:How short is your shortest 'imprisonment' so far? I'm trying to weigh if it's worth it :wink: .... have you tried scheduling an appointment right after the treatment and must rush to attend it?

Hahaha imprisonment! Hmmm maybe about half an hour or slightly more? I know what you mean. Is it really worth the effort for a deal like tat? It can be very draining..

30plus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by 30plus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:18 am

If you read news, Groupon is a huge MNC trying IPO. Estimated market value of the company is about US4B. So it's not a scam.

Need to aware of fine prints but I think they disclosed pretty well. Whether the deals are that good really depends. For example, I bought Zuji hotel voucher at 50% price. I know Zuji's price is about 10-20% higher than other place I can get (for that particular place I want to go). So, net net is about 20-30% actual saving. Still not bad. Those spa deals are really ...

wishababy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by wishababy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:01 pm

i usually buy food coupons most of the times.

micollh
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by micollh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:41 pm

i bought some canvas photo vouchers & photojournal.. haven use.. this topic make me worried.. i think better quikcly use the coupon i bought.. haizz

Yerdua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Yerdua » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:37 pm

I think the problem lies with the slimming centre, not groupon...

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
Total Likes:31

Post by BigDevil » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:23 pm

Some time ago, I bought 2 groupons for discount at a noodle place located in nex.

Went to nex this past weekend, intending to use the 2 groupons...only to find the place had already gone out of business.

Emailed Groupon yesterday for refund, and received reply today that the paid amount will be credited to my CC within 5 days.

RoyceH
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by RoyceH » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:40 pm

I think most products are safe to buy, just read carefully the T&C before you purchase. For me, I would pick food coupons... easy to redeem, low prices (hence less cognitive dissonance).

I bought a travel deal from a tour agency called Dynamikz Travel and they are very shady - but I blame myself for not checking out the background of the travel agency before purchase, and the group-buying site's sales man for allowing this kind of lousy service to be put on the site! Just be careful, ya...

Anyhow, I still love getting coupons as they give us consumers a great chance to try out new merchants... F&B outlets my favourite. I use http://dealzilla.sg to see all the daily deals in Singapore and it's so easy to see everything at once.

quirkymum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by quirkymum » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:45 pm

I have used Groupon many times, most of the time there is no problem. I think if there is, it is more the companies that are the issue, not Groupon.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by cherrygal » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Groupon is going down. Burst its bubble really quick. Read it in the business times.