Is Groupon a scam?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
cathywongwcc
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Is Groupon a scam?

Post by cathywongwcc » Thu May 09, 2013 12:29 am

i got some good deals thro groupon. But best to do some research before making any purchase.

So far so good :)

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:86

Post by buds » Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 am

My cupcake carrier just delivered today. :please:

Canvas
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Canvas » Thu May 09, 2013 4:14 pm

I think Groupon or deal are okay to buy if they are products or dining vouchers, basically those that require only one-time use. So far most negative feedback i read are those beauty salons or travel deals.

joyceharper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by joyceharper » Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 am

My opinion of Groupon is that it is an unsustainable business model but not necessarily a scam. As a buyer I do get pretty good deals - my husband and I have enjoyed many a good restaurant dinner through the Groupon deal. I wouldn't want to show a Groupon coupon though if I was going to a swanky place - just feels... cheap. But, truth be told there have been some people selling on Groupon that are just questionable. I once bought a shoe rack but had to pick it from some salon at the basement of the Meridien Shopping Center. They need a better control system - checks on the supplier.

I heard though that Groupon Singapore is doing better than other countries though.

cathywongwcc
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by cathywongwcc » Sat May 11, 2013 11:38 pm

whatever it is. if the deal is good why not?

swansea
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by swansea » Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am

So far the items that I purchase from Groupon looks ok, cheaper. For travel deal, i try not to as it might not have the dates that I want. Normally, I will look for the agent direct and ask them to give me the price and confirm the date on the spot when i pay.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:162

Post by Nebbermind » Mon May 13, 2013 12:50 pm

buds wrote:My cupcake carrier just delivered today. :please:
I got mine last week too!!

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by buds » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

Wah yours lagi steady.. the cupcake carrier includes the cupcakes. :rotflmao: I'm starting a baking craze and was quite :frustrated: when i found it hard to stack them up nicely on regular plates once they were all freshly baked.

So i packed some off to mom and dad's.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 16#p999116

The kiddies told me must keep more for them to bring to school. :lol:

:offtopic: Where you got this stash from?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Mon May 13, 2013 1:06 pm

Groupon is not a scam lah. However, it does not guarantee the quality of the products that it helps its merchants to sell. So if the merchant screw up, Groupon gets hit too with bad rep.

I bought a number of things from Groupon. As long as the item is offered by a reputable company, eg. Apple, Panasonic, Tung Lok, Nature's Farm, etc, it is ok to buy if the offer is attractive. It is those smaller things from unknown producers that you have to watch out. I bought the electronic dart board thingy, and the darts broke in half within 5 mins of play. Lol.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by buds » Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:It is those smaller things from unknown producers that you have to watch out. I bought the electronic dart board thingy, and the darts broke in half within 5 mins of play. Lol.
:rotflmao: