Is Groupon a scam?

With rising costs and increased learning needs, financing our children's education is no longer a simple walk in the park. Discuss with other parents about how they are managing their finances to cope with their expenses.
auntieM
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:2

Re: Is Groupon a scam?

Post by auntieM » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:11 am

cherrygal wrote:Groupon is going down. Burst its bubble really quick. Read it in the business times.
The story has been on for a while already.. ...do clear your coupons soon... ..

lordofkatong@gmail.com
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by lordofkatong@gmail.com » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:52 am

Groupon seems to be peddling mainly spa offers. How boring!

elderflowertea
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by elderflowertea » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:30 am

I find it ok! Just don't choose those spas or facials places.

30plus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by 30plus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:00 am

Groupon is going down? Not that easy. They are planning their IPO with valuation of 10B. They are still at burning cash stage but they have very deep pocket.

whitecorp
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by whitecorp » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:08 pm

30plus wrote:Groupon is going down? Not that easy. They are planning their IPO with valuation of 10B. They are still at burning cash stage but they have very deep pocket.
Deep pockets aside, their pre-launch valuation has already suffered a big walloping. (see http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ ... 32011.html) One thing is for sure, it won't be a blockbuster IPO.

dadofthree
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by dadofthree » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:35 am

Even streetdeals are ok. These sites are generally reliable. I've called them for enquiries before and got it through. Rest assured.

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Fairy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:55 pm

BigDevil wrote:Some time ago, I bought 2 groupons for discount at a noodle place located in nex.

Went to nex this past weekend, intending to use the 2 groupons...only to find the place had already gone out of business.

Emailed Groupon yesterday for refund, and received reply today that the paid amount will be credited to my CC within 5 days.
Just to share:

I have bought Groupon's coupons for Food offers several times already. So far, no issue. I usually make it a point to use the coupons soon after I've bought them. Twice, I've bought coupons offered by saloons, for hair treatments/colour. One was an upmarket saloon at Ngee Ann City, the other operates a chain of saloons at heartlands. Apart from the initial unhappiness with the difficulty at booking an appointment with the heartland one and the need to 'top up' another $10 for a 'better' type of treatment cream, I have no issue with the purchases.

My purchase of a facial/spa voucher from Groupon is my only 'bad buy'. The voucher was supossed to be valid for 6 months. However, when I called the centre to make appointment, I was told they were already fully booked till 4 months later. The person who attended to my call for appointment was also quite evasive. I smelled a rat immediately. Fortunately, Groupon accepted my reasoning when I requested for a refund. The money was also refunded to my credit card within a short while. For this, I was quite impressed with their professionalism.

My first coupon purchase with Deal.com.sg will be my last. I bought a voucher for a Mistral induction cooker. When I went Thomson Plaza to collect the cooker, i was told they don't issue receipt and I have to go online to register for its waranty within a week. Since it did not cost a lot of money, I did not bother to register. When I decided to use it a month later, I realised that the appliance is faulty!

I will still continue to patronise Groupon. But only for food deals that I can redeem immediately and from reputable vendors and no travel deal for me.

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by smurf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:50 am

bought a groupon voucher for a particular jap BBQ at united square (think you would have guess which one)...the portion is not a lot, give a lot of rice (haha...) and the attitude of the staff is :nunchuk: . no service at all (still got the nerve to charge tip!) and the staff look at you as if you dun have $$$ to pay. very disappointed. won't buy for food anymore.

as for spa, tried one at plaza sing, surprisingly, it was quite good and no hard sell also. so I guess it depends on which centre/branch you go to.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:31

Post by jedamum » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:28 pm

smurf wrote:bought a groupon voucher for a particular jap BBQ at united square (think you would have guess which one)...the portion is not a lot, give a lot of rice (haha...) and the attitude of the staff is :nunchuk: . no service at all (still got the nerve to charge tip!) and the staff look at you as if you dun have $$$ to pay. very disappointed. won't buy for food anymore.

as for spa, tried one at plaza sing, surprisingly, it was quite good and no hard sell also. so I guess it depends on which centre/branch you go to.
smurf,
we bought for a certain coffee/cake/dessert outlet (expiring in March) and we went to 2 separate outlet, both giving us good service (even one with excellent service). :) we'll still go for food vouchers that does not need advance booking or specific timeslot.
my husband told me to avoid Jap buffet voucher cos they will usually limit to certain coloured plates with lots of rice or noodles. :sweat:

smurf
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by smurf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Think voucher for cafe, outlet, fast food still ok. But try to avoid restaurants.